ADVERTISEMENT

OT Jontay Porter lifetime ban for gambling

History teaches us that allowing betting on college sports does not bring anything good.

My beloved Alex John Groza and his teammates got their pro careers and life destroyed because of it.

In Europe the betting companies run many of the leagues and influence the outcome of games …. Unfortunately, the same disease come back to college sports here too.

Betting when YOUR team or self is involved is the absolute worst a player / coach can do. Especially a player. They found evidence he deliberately took himself out of games with mysterious illness or injuries to cause his personal prop bets to lose. He told known gamblers he was going to do it, one guy bet $80K on his prop bets in a game, and he did it several other times, he even bet the Raptors to lose. I am ALMOST certain, he told other players to help throw the game. All it takes is a couple key players to tank, and the bet covers. His lack of playing and scoring wouldn't be enough with his involvement alone to sway the game, but a starter (or two) involved with him ??? His player props (something like less than 6 points and 5 rebounds), he left the game after only playing 3 minutes and never returned. Another personal prop was over / under .5 three pointers made. Simple win, even if you play the whole game, DO NOT shoot any threes, can't make over .5 if you do not shoot 1.

Reactions: BigKari
It's the worst offense in sports, because it removes all integrity of the game. If you're betting on games, then that could mean you're "throwing" the game yourself. And it's always a million times easier to cheat-to-lose, than it is to cheat-to-win.

An example had to be made, because if the people can't trust the sport, it will crumble, and crumble fast. Even a player killing his entire family isn't as detrimental to the sport, as a player/coach/official gambling within the sport. Sad, but it's true.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Well considering there was an NBA ref caught up in it years ago, it wouldn’t surprise me if there are others too, especially with all of the promotion of sports gambling in this era.
If you haven't watched the Tim Donaghy Netflix documentary, you should. He offered to wear a wire as he claimed the NBA had other refs doing it but the FBI inexplicably told David Stern thus ending any chance of a wire and in return, the NBA investigated themselves and found Tim Donaghy was a lone rogue wolf. Haha

Marilyn Monroe Dipshit GIF

You have to think his brother is going to be looked at for simply being associated now.

Good. Leagues need to clamp down on this stuff hard lest it become a bigger issue.

Someone on YouTube broke down his games where there was unusual betting activity and his most recent one was laughable. Dude got a rebound and literally got bug eyed that the ball fell into his hands. He tried to immediately deflect it/drop it too, doing a weird movement, in hopes it wouldn't count. And since he was close to his prop he went to his coach and feigned an eye injury so he wouldn't play the rest of the game and the under would hit.

It was his translators account!
I do not think Porter has a translator. he speaks perfectly good English. Are you talking about the Dodger Japanese picture ? If so, yes he stole money from the pitchers personal account and paid off millions in gambling debts. A lot of people including on here wanted to paint the picture as the culprit when in fact he was the victim. He knew nothing of the gambling his assistant was doing. Poor dude got raked across the coals by many, he was truly 100% innocent.

• Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
These guys have been betting and cheating for years and years and years. It took a app to expose em. You don't have to bet on sports and watch sports long to realize something's not right sometimes

I do not think Porter has a translator. he speaks perfectly good English. Are you talking about the Dodger Japanese picture ? If so, yes he stole money from the pitchers personal account and paid off millions in gambling debts. A lot of people including on here wanted to paint the picture as the culprit when in fact he was the victim. He knew nothing of the gambling his assistant was doing. Poor dude got raked across the coals by many, he was truly 100% innocent.
Well, what was it a picture of?

Reactions: StubbornPenny
You'll never be able to convince me that officials aren't involved in gambling.
That's because many of them are. You aren't wrong.

Also nobody can convince me that Shohei Ohtani is a mentally neglect moron who had no clue what his friend-is it his friend again? Seems MLB and Shohei can't make up their minds as to whether the guy was his friend or just an employee who somehow had not only access to everything financial for him but also was able to wager at a level with bookies where they'd not ask how it was going to be covered based on what he does? If Ohtani was placing the bet or backing the guy...the bets made sense but some interpreter has that kind of dough? I guess bookies today are politically correct and nice and don't work to find out anything about the people who place big $ on games.

Even in the affidavit it mentioned the Bookie quoted he knows it's a "cover up". Of course it is.

The second Gambling became legal, Pro franchises moved to Vegas, you have gambling sponsoring Pro leagues...you've invited corruption to be front and center. Now Silver wants to send a "message" to Jontay Porter? This just means there's some very prominent players who are tanking/gambling on games and NBA wants it clear what will happen if they continue.

You're fun.

When did we get humorless fact-bots?

If you haven't watched the Tim Donaghy Netflix documentary, you should. He offered to wear a wire as he claimed the NBA had other refs doing it but the FBI inexplicably told David Stern thus ending any chance of a wire and in return, the NBA investigated themselves and found Tim Donaghy was a lone rogue wolf. Haha
Yup, it was all BS. We totally investigated ourselves. Nothing was wrong!

Reactions: HeismaNole
From 415k to the unemployment line
This dipshit colluded with a bettor who placed an 80k wager on a prop bet of his own play. It would have paid out 1.1 million. So how did he think this would be easy money? He took himself out of the game after 3 minutes due to “illness” so he wouldn’t hit the numbers. Obviously they flagged the bet and suspicious illness and never paid it out. That’s what got the investigation started. I can’t believe he thought that would work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT