ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Holy crap!!! Shohei Ohtani to the Dodgers for 10 years 700 million dollars

Catfish Hunter got this started i could not believe the yankees would pay a player 3.5 million for 5 years when he signed

Here I thought Ricky Henderson and his 3 year 9 million dollar contract was crazy when I was a kid.

Reactions: jrpross
Fvck the Dodgers. The rich get richer.

At least now that Ohtani has signed we will start seeing some real signing action. Reds going after Bieber, Glasgow, and Cease. Can't wait to see who we get.
Our Reds are going to be just fine. Nick Krall is the man!

Reactions: CB3UK
And this is why I hate pro sports. Really starting to hate all sports. I'll be surprised if I'm even following sports in the next 10 years.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Looks like they are deferring 68 of 70 mil per year until the end, then he will get paid 68 mil per year from 2034-2043

The AP story on this said "By receiving the vast majority of the money when he presumably will not be living in the United States, Ohtani also figures to have a tax benefit. California's top tax rate for residents is 13.3%"

The AP story on this said "By receiving the vast majority of the money when he presumably will not be living in the United States, Ohtani also figures to have a tax benefit. California's top tax rate for residents is 13.3%"
Isn’t that tax evasion?

All of the deferred salary is allowing the Dodgers to make a serious run after Tyler Glasnow. Reportedly a deal is in the works for TB to send him there. Dodgers already have a top rated farm system as it is to pull off trades for star players. Also in the running for the Japanese pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto.

It seems like this deferred payment plan is kind of sketchy. Allows the richer teams to load up on talent without having to worry about the luxury tax or whatever it is called these days. Just letting the rich get richer with no penalty to worry about until many years down the road.

Reactions: JumperJack
It seems like this deferred payment plan is kind of sketchy. Allows the richer teams to load up on talent without having to worry about the luxury tax or whatever it is called these days. Just letting the rich get richer with no penalty to worry about until many years down the road.

The Reds are still pay Griffey from his contract in 2000. It ain't just the rich teams.

I wondered about this myself. According to what I read, the deferred money is calculated as "AAV", Average Annual Value, which in Ohtani's case is about $46M per year, so that is the number to determine what LAD will pay on their luxury tax.

This is great. Will MLB have the guts to give him a lifetime ban if he's actually guilty? I doubt it. XD

A rough timeline:

- Ohtani rep goes on record W/ESPN stating Ohtani transferred $4.5MM himself to bookmaker on behalf of Ippei.

- Spokesperson for Ohtani delivers Ippei to ESPN for statement. Ippei says Ohtani NEVER bet & felt bad for him & paid off his debt so he’d never do it again.

-Spokesperson for Ohtani says Ippei is lying after he gives his 90 minute statement to ESPN.

-Ohtani’s lawyers claim “massive theft”.

-Ippei then says Ohtani had zero knowledge of his debt or his gambling habit in general.

That about right?

This is great. Will MLB have the guts to give him a lifetime ban if he's actually guilty? I doubt it. XD

This is the narrative they are going with. Anybody that believes that cock and bull story they're feeding everyone to get the heat off Ohtani...Then I have some swamp land for sale. Especially the part where Ohtani sits down at his computer, transfers the money with the interpreter next to him as reported by ESPN last night on SC and now they are claiming 'massive theft.' LA fires the interpreter right before they found out ESPN was about to go public with an article that had evidence of Ohtani's bank account on statements for the wire transfers to an illegal bookie.

Even if they find dirt on Ohtani and can prove it, reports are saying it would be a minimum 1-year suspension which is the length Ridley got in the NFL. Punishment of course is up to the commissioner's discretion according to Rule 21 of the CBA. Players are allowed to legally bet on other sports. The league isn't going to ban him for life based on what we know now since the reported bets weren't on one of the diamond sports (baseball and softball) which is strictly prohibited by MLB.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT