ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Great De’Aaron Fox article :” I don’t crave to be in a big Market”

FrankUnderwood

All-American
Gold Member
May 26, 2017
Bluegrass State!
”I don’t crave to be in a big market, After last season , there was buzz in Sacramento. Everyone in Sacramento is a Kings fan. If we start making the playoffs ... the entire city is going to go nuts. That’s the difference between a big market and a small one”

Another great quote about fox at 13 years old dominating older high school players.

One day, Coach O called and told Gaston he had an eighth grader in his high school’s pipeline that he wanted Gaston to see. Gaston thought, An eighth grader? Houston Preps had a team that included under-17 players, but the youngest athletes on those teams were 15 or 16. Coach O’s player was 13.

“There was a buzz around this kid,” Olatunbosun tells me over the phone from the Las Vegas airport. “Someone said, ‘There’s a kid down at the junior high who’s already dunking it.’” Olatunbosun knew he had to go see for himself. It didn’t take long for Coach O to know something special was going on.

Gaston had a team in a tournament at The Gym in Humble, Texas, a sprawling suburban hoops complex. His new charge peeled himself out of his parents’ car, revealing his scrawny, skinny frame. This can’t be the kid, Gaston thought.

That kid’s name was De’Aaron Fox.

In Fox’s first game, Gaston put the eighth grader on the wing, thinking that would be a good way to assess his game. It didn’t work. Fox kept getting his shots blocked by the bigger, stronger, older players.

Before the team’s second game, Coach O told Gaston, “Put the kid at the point. Put the ball in his hands.”

What happened next changed Fox, Gaston and Olatunbosun’s lives.

“It was special,” Gaston says. “He was 13 years old, out there dominating juniors and seniors in high school.” This scene brings to mind the decades-old legends of Stephon Marbury and LeBron James schooling older players at Adidas ABCD Camp. “It was like something I had never seen,” Gaston adds. “I thought, This kid is probably the best player I’ve ever had the chance to work with.”

“He got to all the spots he wanted to,” Coach O says. “He was a man amongst boys out there, but he didn’t look like a man.”

Coach O remembers how the crowd reacted to Fox’s play, in particular one AAU dad in the crowd.

“I remember the guy next to me said out loud, ‘Who the hell is that?’ referring to De’Aaron. And the dad said, ‘That’s Duke! That’s North Carolina! That’s what a Kentucky kid looks like!’”

I absolutely love Fox and it’s just so refreshing to see a star of his caliber not automatically jumping on the “big market team” train like so many stars seem to do these days”

Supposedly Fox isn’t really even into the whole party scene, he works out and practices like a mad man and LOVES playing video games. He even has his own IT department that travel with him on the road and sets up his SIX monitors etc in his hotel room”

https://www.one37pm.com/strength/sports/the-next-nba-superstar-deaaron-fox

”I don’t crave to be in a big market, After last season , there was buzz in Sacramento. Everyone in Sacramento is a Kings fan. If we start making the playoffs ... the entire city is going to go nuts. That’s the difference between a big market and a small one”

Another great quote about fox at 13 years old dominating older high school players.

One day, Coach O called and told Gaston he had an eighth grader in his high school’s pipeline that he wanted Gaston to see. Gaston thought, An eighth grader? Houston Preps had a team that included under-17 players, but the youngest athletes on those teams were 15 or 16. Coach O’s player was 13.

“There was a buzz around this kid,” Olatunbosun tells me over the phone from the Las Vegas airport. “Someone said, ‘There’s a kid down at the junior high who’s already dunking it.’” Olatunbosun knew he had to go see for himself. It didn’t take long for Coach O to know something special was going on.

Gaston had a team in a tournament at The Gym in Humble, Texas, a sprawling suburban hoops complex. His new charge peeled himself out of his parents’ car, revealing his scrawny, skinny frame. This can’t be the kid, Gaston thought.

That kid’s name was De’Aaron Fox.

In Fox’s first game, Gaston put the eighth grader on the wing, thinking that would be a good way to assess his game. It didn’t work. Fox kept getting his shots blocked by the bigger, stronger, older players.

Before the team’s second game, Coach O told Gaston, “Put the kid at the point. Put the ball in his hands.”

What happened next changed Fox, Gaston and Olatunbosun’s lives.

“It was special,” Gaston says. “He was 13 years old, out there dominating juniors and seniors in high school.” This scene brings to mind the decades-old legends of Stephon Marbury and LeBron James schooling older players at Adidas ABCD Camp. “It was like something I had never seen,” Gaston adds. “I thought, This kid is probably the best player I’ve ever had the chance to work with.”

“He got to all the spots he wanted to,” Coach O says. “He was a man amongst boys out there, but he didn’t look like a man.”

Coach O remembers how the crowd reacted to Fox’s play, in particular one AAU dad in the crowd.

“I remember the guy next to me said out loud, ‘Who the hell is that?’ referring to De’Aaron. And the dad said, ‘That’s Duke! That’s North Carolina! That’s what a Kentucky kid looks like!’”

I absolutely love Fox and it’s just so refreshing to see a star of his caliber not automatically jumping on the “big market team” train like so many stars seem to do these days”

Supposedly Fox isn’t really even into the whole party scene, he works out and practices like a mad man and LOVES playing video games. He even has his own IT department that travel with him on the road and sets up his SIX monitors etc in his hotel room”

https://www.one37pm.com/strength/sports/the-next-nba-superstar-deaaron-fox

GP OP...

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
If we start making the playoffs ... the entire city is going to go nuts. That’s the difference between a big market and a small one

You really don't need to read much past this. It's not so much about the market for a lot of players; they want to win. And if Sacramento fails Fox like it's done for so many other star players, the small market won't matter.

If Sacramento can't at least become competitive, Fox will wind up somewhere else.. as he should.

Reactions: HoptownCat93
The last year or so....I've had this Louisville fan friend who keeps throwing Donovan Mitchell in my face....acting as if Kentucky doesn't have a million more prospects in the NBA....But this Team USA Camp I continue to share the articles showing how Fox was the story of this camp.

I think Fox is about to get on the level we though John Wall would reach as far as popularity on a national scale. John, to be fair, never really had the situation and now injuries have taken hold in his prime years.

Guards are just more popular...expecially athletic guards. Murray and Booker will be top scorers....but Fox just has the look of an absolute star. If his jumper becomes consistent...he's UN-guardable. Super fast, super athletic, amazing skills...just on another level. A wow factor that not many will ever see.

If we start making the playoffs ... the entire city is going to go nuts. That’s the difference between a big market and a small one

You really don't need to read much past this. It's not so much about the market for a lot of players; they want to win. And if Sacramento fails Fox like it's done for so many other star players, the small market won't matter.

If Sacramento can't at least become competitive, Fox will wind up somewhere else.. as he should.

I’m not sure you comprehended his interview/ what he was trying to say?

The last year or so....I've had this Louisville fan friend who keeps throwing Donovan Mitchell in my face....acting as if Kentucky doesn't have a million more prospects in the NBA....But this Team USA Camp I continue to share the articles showing how Fox was the story of this camp.

I think Fox is about to get on the level we though John Wall would reach as far as popularity on a national scale. John, to be fair, never really had the situation and now injuries have taken hold in his prime years.

Guards are just more popular...expecially athletic guards. Murray and Booker will be top scorers....but Fox just has the look of an absolute star. If his jumper becomes consistent...he's UN-guardable. Super fast, super athletic, amazing skills...just on another level. A wow factor that not many will ever see.
smh
stupid, effing Suns...stupid, effing Suns...stupid, effing Suns...
smh
stupid, effing Suns...stupid, effing Suns...stupid, effing Suns...stupid, effing Suns...stupid, effing Suns...
still can't stop smh those stupid, effing Suns...

Of course the star player of a small market team is gonna say this. Have you all not learned to not believe anything these dudes say in interviews? Every player wants to win titles and to be a megastar.....that ain't happening in Sacramento no matter how good Fox is or becomes.

Of course the star player of a small market team is gonna say this. Have you all not learned to not believe anything these dudes say in interviews? Every player wants to win titles and to be a megastar.....that ain't happening in Sacramento no matter how good Fox is or becomes.

No, not every player wants that. Many many NBA players view it solely as a job and are perfectly happy brining in $15-$20 million a year (see Andrew Wiggins)

I understand what you’re saying but Fox seems quite a bit different than other superstars.

Reactions: Blueaz
No, not every player wants that. Many many NBA players view it solely as a job and are perfectly happy brining in $15-$20 million a year (see Andrew Wiggins)

I understand what you’re saying but Fox seems quite a bit different than other superstars.
I mean after all...is being in Sacramento that bad?

It's in California...yet you don't have to be in LA everyday fighting all the traffic. You can still live like a small town star...yet be an NBA superstar if you are winning. I mean all the endorsements and Hollywood type brand building stuff isn't that far away.

Not the worst small market.

I mean after all...is being in Sacramento that bad?

It's in California...yet you don't have to be in LA everyday fighting all the traffic. You can still live like a small town star...yet be an NBA superstar if you are winning. I mean all the endorsements and Hollywood type brand building stuff isn't that far away.

Not the worst small market.

My thoughts exactly.

I always think about the palsied classmate he had in Houston, who was a huge UK fan. Let the young man be a part of his in home visit with Coach Cal. That classmate passed away less than a year later. Fox is a special dude. One of my all time favorites, even though we only had him for a season.

Reactions: JASUN74

No offense, but I clearly remember these exact same articles being written about Kevin Durant in his early years about how happy he was in Oklahoma and how he wanted to stay there his entire career.

They all claim that they're happy where they are ...until free agency hits and they have a chance to go somewhere better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT