ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Bowl press conference canceled

SEC doesn't need to expand.
Can't think Fla Sate getting invited more likely to happen not playing Georgia in NY6 bowl.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
At this point, I almost WANT all of the first string/future pro players on each roster to decide to opt out of playing. I'd rather all these bowl games that aren't "playoff games" just die due to lack of participation so we don't continue a cycle of playing games that are essentially meaningless when the best players won't play.

Either everyone participate and make these games interesting/entertaining, or scrap the whole damn system.

At this point, I almost WANT all of the first string/future pro players on each roster to decide to opt out of playing. I'd rather all these bowl games that aren't "playoff games" just die due to lack of participation so we don't continue a cycle of playing games that are essentially meaningless when the best players won't play.

Either everyone participate and make these games interesting/entertaining, or scrap the whole damn system.
So you want UK'S chances to appear in a post season game to be <5%? Post season bowls are beneficial to extra practice time and just suppose we get 9 wins a season, we are not going bowling.

I want bowl games to be meaningful to players, universities, and fans such that everyone actually gives and damn about winning and they aren’t glorified scrimmages with players “opting out.”

If/when it gets to a point where it’s simply common place and accepted that non-playoff bowl games are scrimmages, no one necessarily cares if they win/lose as long as they get the extra practice time, and participation by the best players is considered optional, then the financial support (ad dollars and fan interest) for such events will dwindle and they won’t survive.

I want bowl games to be meaningful to players, universities, and fans such that everyone actually gives and damn about winning and they aren’t glorified scrimmages with players “opting out.”

If/when it gets to a point where it’s simply common place and accepted that non-playoff bowl games are scrimmages, no one necessarily cares if they win/lose as long as they get the extra practice time, and participation by the best players is considered optional, then the financial support (ad dollars and fan interest) for such events will dwindle and they won’t survive.
They're still meaningful. The Players and Coaches get an extra Month of Practices and another game to play for a Trophy. Helps Development and also gives the Players a Reward for a Good Season. Also it rewards Fans with a Vacation and a Chance Root on their Cat's and maybe play a team and Beat a team that you normally wouldn't play. Plus National TV Exposure is always Great for Recruitng during Bowl Season. I see NO downside.

Last edited:
Only because they don't want their ass kicked on national television after all that crying.
I think you may be onto something there. Whenever anyone tells me that FL St got "screwed" or "reamed", I have been telling them to watch the Orange Bowl for clarity on the subject.

The only team that got "reamed" was GA, and it was the Crimson Tide that reamed them.

Really hoping both teams show up with something to prove. Think Georgia takes them fairly easily though, 38-10 type game.

We going to have a handful not playing. Bowers wants to play Kirby told him to heal himself for combine, McConkey is hut, Mims is hurt and all 3 starters, 2 likely first round picks. But if they boycott we can have a red and white scrimmage.

We going to have a handful not playing. Bowers wants to play Kirby told him to heal himself for combine, McConkey is hut, Mims is hurt and all 3 starters, 2 likely first round picks. But if they boycott we can have a red and white scrimmage.
If you guys don't put up 40 you should be kicked out of the SEC. Don't go off on me just having a little fun with you

They're still meaningful. The Players and Coaches get an extra Month of Practices and another game to play for a Trophy. Helps Development and also gives the Players a Reward for a Good Season. Also it rewards Fans with a Vacation and a Chance Root on their Cat's and maybe play a team and Beat a team that you normally wouldn't play. Plus National TV Exposure is always Great for Recruitng during Bowl Season. I see NO downside.

My point is with the path they are on, these bowl games are going to devolve and ultimately die. Without fan interest and a product that attracts advertising dollars, how will they sustain themselves?

If you guys don't put up 40 you should be kicked out of the SEC. Don't go off on me just having a little fun with you

W we ll we did put up 24 on Bama with those guys playing very little. like everyone else it depends on who decides to skip the bowl or not.

There are too many anyway.
I have heard this argument time and time again but no one has ever been able to explain to me why. WHY are there too many bowls? I don't mean this existentially, I mean why does the existence of the lower tier bowls seem to offend so many people? I like watching them. They are fun. I like football. More football is a good thing, no?

Is it like an old school participation trophy argument or something? Is it a rewarding mediocrity argument? I just don't get it. Is it a you don't want to see certain teams get a bowl thing? I honestly don't understand.

Are some of the bowls meaningless? From an outside perspective, sure. But they are important to the fans of the teams playing in them. I understand not caring about them because they are somewhat meaningless. I understand a lot of the arguments about why someone wouldn't care about them and would not be interested in watching them.

But for the love of God, can someone please explain to me why so many people want them to not exist? It ain't like the abortion argument. No one is getting hurt by them.

Last edited:
I have heard this argument time and time again but no one has ever been able to explain to me why. WHY are there too many bowls? I don't mean this existentially, I mean why does the existence of the lower tier bowls seem to offend so many people? I like watching them. They are fun. I like football. More football is a good thing, no?

Is it like an old school participation trophy argument or something? Is it a rewarding mediocrity argument? I just don't get it. Is it a you don't want to see certain teams get a bowl thing? I honestly don't understand.

Are some of the bowls meaningless? From an outside perspective, sure. But they are important to the fans of the teams playing in them. I understand not caring about them because they are somewhat meaningless. I understand a lot of the arguments about why someone wouldn't care about them and would not be interested in watching them.

But for the love of God, can someone please explain to me why so many people want them to not exist? It ain't like the abortion argument. No one is getting hurt by them.
I don’t want them to not exist. I want them exist, and be taken seriously. No opting out.

Reactions: Shadow1671
I don’t want them to not exist. I want them exist, and be taken seriously. No opting out.

PLayer's who have used all their eligibility up has a right to not play... You can't force players to play if they don't want to... I see nothing wrong either way, the games are better with all of them playing but it's still a FB game and that means we can watch...

GBB

All these bowls let’s the Tv stations fill their programs. I watch a lot of these games. I don’t want just the top 4 play while everyone else sits home. If the games are so bad then folks can just turn them off. Why watch all season when your team loses one game just quit watching!!

Screw it. I say have a 64 team tournament where nearly half the teams in the country have a shot at the title. Then every game is meaningful and it should cut out the opt out players by a lot.

Shorten the season to like 10 games with no conference championship. That's 8 conference games and 2 OOC games. That would make 16 total games for each team. The top teams now already will play up to 15 games anyways. I'm sure it would never happen but would be fun to see it play out.

Regular season would end by mid November. With 6 more weeks of football, the tournament would end at the end of December. They could even have a bye week before the Final Four and end about where it does now. Maybe increase scholarships to like 90 to help with the longer season.

Good humor aside: Defense is FSUs strength.

With the solid FSU D and the injuries on the Seminole’s O, UGA is more likely to score only in the 20s or maybe in the low 30s, BUT the Dawgs could hold FSU to under 10 points…perhaps FGs with zero TDs ….or maybe even a shutout.

Either way, I expect a Bulldog mud hole stomping statistically by the 2X National Champs even though Kirby isn’t much of a RUTS HC.

I would say a 28-3 victory for UGA.

GBB!

Last edited:
Screw it. I say have a 64 team tournament where nearly half the teams in the country have a shot at the title. Then every game is meaningful and it should cut out the opt out players by a lot.

Shorten the season to like 10 games with no conference championship. That's 8 conference games and 2 OOC games. That would make 16 total games for each team. The top teams now already will play up to 15 games anyways. I'm sure it would never happen but would be fun to see it play out.

Regular season would end by mid November. With 6 more weeks of football, the tournament would end at the end of December. They could even have a bye week before the Final Four and end about where it does now. Maybe increase scholarships to like 90 to help with the longer season.
64 teams? Thank you but, I say "No."

A 64 team playoff would kill what makes CFB the best sport in the country in my opinion, and that is the do-or-die nature of the regular season. All of CFB nation are dialed into the marquee games each week because they have a direct impact on a team's NC fortunes (Ex: Texas at Bama earlier in the year).

I'm worried 12 teams is too many and would have preferred limiting expansion to only 8 teams. Why? I think 12 will ultimately lead to 16 and that is too many IMO. With 16 teams or more, we might have teams ranked in the top 4 resting players on rivalry week to be in top shape for the playoffs. Sounds a lot like the end of the NFL regular season to me....not very compelling.

As for 64 teams, we should think about CBB. Sure, March/April give us a couple weeks of fun in the NCAA tourney, but who gives a fiddler's wink about the CBB regular season outside of pockets of fanatics in KY, NC, and KS? The answer....not many.

I LOVE regular season CFB, and bowl season, and the 4-team playoff, and I am totally indifferent to CBB until late Feb. I don't want the money-hungry TV companies and the power conferences "basketballing my football season."

GBB!

PLayer's who have used all their eligibility up has a right to not play... You can't force players to play if they don't want to... I see nothing wrong either way, the games are better with all of them playing but it's still a FB game and that means we can watch...

GBB
I never said anything about forcing players to play.

Only because they don't want their ass kicked on national television after all that crying.
I think you may be onto something there. Whenever anyone tells me that FL St got "screwed" or "reamed", I have been telling them to watch the Orange Bowl for clarity on the subject.

The only team that got "reamed" was GA, and it was the Crimson Tide that reamed them.

Kind of like you did when UGA scored again? See its easy to be an horse's rear. I rather not be but stating a fact isn't crying.
Wow! Have read numerous posts of yours on our Kentucky board. Never thought I'd see this kind of reaction from you. I guess it is fair to say 'excuse my crying post', but it is equally fair to say how disappointed now I am in you.

And one small fact that you overlooked: I was not talking about Georgia, I was talking about all the reactions from FSU fans. My post happened to fall under yours, but I was posting under and in answer to the Orange Bowl thread, not you.

Again, disappointed.

I will be watching that either way! Hope they do it or find a real football school to play

Wow! Have read numerous posts of yours on our Kentucky board. Never thought I'd see this kind of reaction from you. I guess it is fair to say 'excuse my crying post', but it is equally fair to say how disappointed now I am in you.

And one small fact that you overlooked: I was not talking about Georgia, I was talking about all the reactions from FSU fans. My post happened to fall under yours, but I was posting under and in answer to the Orange Bowl thread, not you.

Again, disappointed.

It's not the first time he's gotten confused and overreacted, and it won't be the last. Just accept that it's going to happen.

Reactions: Hjack

Again, disappointed.

I am disappointed in myself too. Not the best of days for me, my daughter was diagnosed with MS yesterday and this guy makes that comment. Just wasn't in the mood to be attacked for making a true statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT