ADVERTISEMENT

Option nobody discusses

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
A very real possibility is that you don’t hear a word from anyone. Summer comes and goes you hear news about the transfer portal and recruiting etc. and then comes midnight madness. not a word ever said I think that’s what actually happens.

They’re not gonna come out and say Calipari is on probation. That would be a stupid thing to do. What you might see at the most is certain assistant’s let go and new assistant’s hired, but with no conversation about it.

Yeah if they say nothing at all that would be worse than actually letting people know what’s going on. You can’t just hide from this and expect it to blow over, Cal and Mitch need to have a press conference next week and let us know what the plan is.

Reactions: catzcan
Brainfart doesn't have balls to dictate ultimatums to Couch...

EK8KYia.png

The assistants aren't the problem. Any of them could probably out coach the head guy but they don't have the connections to attract the attention of top level players and their handlers. Cal's salesmanship isn't in question, he is selling the shortest route to the NBA. The problem is some are ready and some aren't but they are buying the same product when they come here.

The problem happens when Cal doesn't coach winning basketball because winning isn't his primary focus(and may be about 3rd on his list of primary objectives). He is what he is and isn't going to change. He could assemble a staff like the early days of Pitino and it wouldn't change anything.

If the administration and the money keep Cal here we are stuck being what we are. This was probably one of the better teams and better seasons that we can expect to have from this point forward under the Cal regime

Last edited:
Other than Calipari there’s only one other coach who has been a constant in UK’s down years…

Reactions: catzcan
It does seem the only realistic possibility here, for both sides to save face, means Cal stays. I expect a full-on sunshine pumping campaign effort starting with a carefully orchestrated presser complete with empty promises and even some humble pie and groveling. It will be quite a show, one that could backfire as Mitch has no acting skills and Cal's ego will surface as usual. And Here's the kicker, they are counting on this working (for now anyway) by taking for granted that enough season ticket holders and other fans will still show up and support the team next season. It's all they can do in this no win situation of their making. It saves face for them (in ther eyes) and protects their interests but, unfortunately, also means ignoring the voices of the majority of fans. Terrific. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
So sick about hearing about assistants- he could have K Izzo & Hurley on staff and he ain’t listening
You know how after timeout you see other Coaches huddling with staff and head Coach listens to there viewpoints? Now do you remember ever seeing Cal do that ?
He’s a egotistical prick who needs canned

A very real possibility is that you don’t hear a word from anyone. Summer comes and goes you hear news about the transfer portal and recruiting etc. and then comes midnight madness. not a word ever said I think that’s what actually happens.

They’re not gonna come out and say Calipari is on probation. That would be a stupid thing to do. What you might see at the most is certain assistant’s let go and new assistant’s hired, but with no conversation about it.
I think that's a given if he stays. With an added unofficial announcement from Jones, Tucker, Forde, et al next week "Hearing there will be no movement on Cal" tweets.

When Jim Harbaugh was about to get fired at Mich after he was underachieving, he reworked his contract, took less money and less of a buyout. It was very public. I think we would know something if there was a reworking of Cal’s deal .

So sick about hearing about assistants- he could have K Izzo & Hurley on staff and he ain’t listening
You know how after timeout you see other Coaches huddling with staff and head Coach listens to there viewpoints? Now do you remember ever seeing Cal do that ?
He’s a egotistical prick who needs canned
No but I can remember plenty of times Cal telling assistants to shut up.

No way in the world do I see Cal personally giving some public mea-culpa, State of the Program, apologetic statement to the fanbase!!!!

IF, IF, he does stay and gives a statement of some kind, it will be the normal sales-pitch/ word-salad/ coach-speak that makes no sense to 90% of the base!!! It will be a misdirection, "we need a new practice facility" to get the #1 rated class instead of #2 and to help win tourney games!!!!!!

Reactions: NociHTTP
I will say this. If there is not a joint presser then their relationship is irretrievably broken. And if so they have no business, no business working together.

I give a fair amount to UK academics . My wife and I are on four different committees . We said we would never ask Eli for anything or discuss our attitude on UK sports with him. Only positive constructive conversations.
I’m breaking that promise and will say exactly what I think because I now believe it is in the interest of the University to do so. If enough people as active as my wife and I are barrage MB and Eli with COURTEOUS comments that we need to part ways with Cal I think it should make a difference .

No way in the world do I see Cal personally giving some public mea-culpa, State of the Program, apologetic statement to the fanbase!!!!

IF, IF, he does stay and gives a statement of some kind, it will be the normal sales-pitch/ word-salad/ coach-speak that makes no sense to 90% of the base!!! It will be a misdirection, "we need a new practice facility" to get the #1 rated class instead of #2 and to help win tourney games!!!!!!

Yeah, IF he stays, anybody thinking he's gonna call a press conference to apologize to the fans is in La La land.

Reactions: Girthang and TexKat
When Jim Harbaugh was about to get fired at Mich after he was underachieving, he reworked his contract, took less money and less of a buyout. It was very public. I think we would know something if there was a reworking of Cal’s deal .
Italians don't give out Discounts! 😆

It does seem the only realistic possibility here, for both sides to save face, means Cal stays. I expect a full-on sunshine pumping campaign effort starting with a carefully orchestrated presser complete with empty promises and even some humble pie and groveling. It will be quite a show, one that could backfire as Mitch has no acting skills and Cal's ego will surface as usual. And Here's the kicker, they are counting on this working (for now anyway) by taking for granted that enough season ticket holders and other fans will still show up and support the team next season. It's all they can do in this no win situation of their making. It saves face for them (in ther eyes) and protects their interests but, unfortunately, also means ignoring the voices of the majority of fans. Terrific. I hope I'm wrong.
They will show. Fans showed for Bcg. Hell I was there when memorial was packed for his NIT game. Uk fans will always show even if the players coached themselves

The chances of that happening in the social media era is slim.

People get upset about guys announcing they are returning when it’s obvious they should return but that’s how it is in this era

I just don’t see a joint press conference. I just don’t see any public court changes are required and eminent. Cal won’t cooperate. And it’s an admission that Barnhart fumbled the life time contract. This week will tell the story. I may be wrong. But the longer the silence continues the more likely you’ll never hear a damn word.

Who cares about staff changes? We hired a NBA coach, brought back Coach Orlando, a ''guard whisperer'' in Chin Coleman, and then Cal's old pal Chuck Martin who had success on the recruiting trail at Oregon. What did it get us?
This is it. The staff seems really good except for Bruiser. None of the guys you mentioned or Ullis should be scapegoats.

I will say this. If there is not a joint presser then their relationship is irretrievably broken. And if so they have no business, no business working together.
That relationship has been irrevocably broken for a few years now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT