ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is certain, we will shoot a bunch of 3's based on the team Pope has assembled.

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
Of course the roster is still to be completed but just looking at what we already have and the potential commits we are still recruiting it's obvious we have some guys who can shoot the ball. In the best case scenario where we add both Robinson and Lanier we would have guys who made 532 three pointers last year not counting any of the incoming freshmen who all 3 seem to be good shooters.

Indiana St led the country in 3's made with 427. Of the 2 potential pieces Robinson made 81 and Lanier 106 so it's obvious getting at least 1 of those 2 will be key. However, it is pretty obvious the type of offense Pope is trying to implement.

*** edited after we added Almonor ***

Last edited:
Of course the roster is still to be completed but just looking at what we already have and the potential commits we are still recruiting it's obvious we have some guys who can shoot the ball. In the best case scenario where we add Robinson, Lanier and Almonor we would have guys who made 532 three pointers last year not counting any of the incoming freshmen. Indiana St led the country in 3's made with 427. Of the 3 potential pieces Almonor made 93, Robinson 81 and Lanier 106 so it's obvious getting at least 2 of those 3 will be key. However, it is pretty obvious the type of offense Pope is trying to implement.
Bomb squad.

Reactions: YardCat
Good call.

I think this group will be really versatile on offense. Oteh Garrison and Williams attack the rim off the dribble. Williams and Garrison can post it. Loaded with 3 point shooters who can drill it in early and set offense. All these guys with assist averages.
All comes down to chemistry and how quick can CMP get them into his offense. Do think it will develop over the year.
Look for a very balanced team with at least 8 guys averaging 8 plus points which I love.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I added up all of the 3 point stats for our players from last season not counting any incoming freshmen. Both as is and also if we were to add Robinson and Lanier the team averaged shooting 40% from 3 overall. If we take 35 three point shots per game like Coach wants and shoot that same 40% we would have made 135 more 3's than we did this season and shot the same percentage.

All teams have off shooting nights. We will have ours as well. Hopefully we are good enough in other aspects of the game to overcome it.
The spacing caused by all the shooting threats should get a lot of easy shots around the basket as well. Plus one of the best backcourt and frontcourt defenders in all of college basketball last year for insurance.

Of course the roster is still to be completed but just looking at what we already have and the potential commits we are still recruiting it's obvious we have some guys who can shoot the ball. In the best case scenario where we add both Robinson and Lanier we would have guys who made 532 three pointers last year not counting any of the incoming freshmen who all 3 seem to be good shooters.

Indiana St led the country in 3's made with 427. Of the 2 potential pieces Robinson made 81 and Lanier 106 so it's obvious getting at least 1 of those 2 will be key. However, it is pretty obvious the type of offense Pope is trying to implement.

*** edited after we added Almonor ***
It certainly looks that way. We've gone from wishing our roster had more shooters (not last year but previous seasons) to having a roster full of shooters. After the Pope hire I was one here saying that even for Pope his last BYU team was a bit of an outlier in terms of the number of 3s they took, and that we shouldn't expect quite that many attempts going forward. I'm beginning to think I have it backwards... I guess we'll find out! God I wish we had a summer intl basketball trip this year.

Reactions: coachcombs57
That's where all the defensive pieces Pope's put together still keep us in the game and gives us a chance to win, even w/ an off-night shooting the ball.

The spacing caused by all the shooting threats should get a lot of easy shots around the basket as well. Plus one of the best backcourt and frontcourt defenders in all of college basketball last year for insurance.
Hope you're both right, but I'll beleive it when I see it. I don't think as a team we are going to be all that strong defensively.

I added up all of the 3 point stats for our players from last season not counting any incoming freshmen. Both as is and also if we were to add Robinson and Lanier the team averaged shooting 40% from 3 overall. If we take 35 three point shots per game like Coach wants and shoot that same 40% we would have made 135 more 3's than we did this season and shot the same percentage.
We would also almost certainly lead the nation in 3s attempted and made. Last year the highest per game 3s made was 11.5 (BYU had 11.1) (by the way, that was Chaz Lanier's N Florida team hitting 11.5/game). 40% on 35 attempts is 14 made 3s a game. I'm going to assume we don't take 35/game, but even at 30 attempts and 40% makes you're looking at 12/game. If we can pair shooting output like that (probably top-5 efficiency) with a top-30 defense, you're looking at a team that will win a lot of games.

But are you though? This team has multiple guys who have made all defensive teams or been the DPY in their conference and yet you think they won't be good defensively.
Who are these multiple guys? I can think of 2. Having 2 good defensive players isn't going to make a team great defensively. Neither of them played in a P5.

Were a defensive 3 pt shooting team. We aren't crazy athletic with high talent players but we have many experienced highly skilled players which is better.

Only thing we lack is that star go to guy but one might emerge as season goes along.

But are you though? This team has multiple guys who have made all defensive teams or been the DPY in their conference and yet you think they won't be good defensively.

That guy’s intentions are clear. It’s better to ignore and move on. It makes the experience on Rafters so much better without trolls stirring about.

When the shots fall, fans will love it. When they aren't falling, fans will be ready to pull their hair out.
So true. But having nine good 3 point shooters instead of three will makes those games where they don't fall less common. This coach seems to be paying attention to how the pieces fit together. Never again will we see our roster of 11-13 players include 4 centers and less than 5 good perimeter shooters.

Good call.

I think this group will be really versatile on offense. Oteh Garrison and Williams attack the rim off the dribble. Williams and Garrison can post it. Loaded with 3 point shooters who can drill it in early and set offense. All these guys with assist averages.
All comes down to chemistry and how quick can CMP get them into his offense. Do think it will develop over the year.
Look for a very balanced team with at least 8 guys averaging 8 plus points which I love.
If there is one thing I do know you love a team that has around 8 guys scoring 8+.

Good call.

I only want to add that Carr is also a good post up player, maybe the best we have, in addition to being a threat from 3 point range.

Reactions: lazycat75
Who are these multiple guys? I can think of 2. Having 2 good defensive players isn't going to make a team great defensively. Neither of them played in a P5.
We have lockdown defenders at all 3 levels in Butler, Oweh & Williams. Carr & Garrison are also solid post defenders & Almonor gives us another plus defensive player at the 3/4. So, that is 6 guys who are somewhere between above average & elite, defensively. And, the 3 who came from smaller schools have proven themselves against P5 competition. We definitely have enough to be a good defensive team, IMO.

We have lockdown defenders at all 3 levels in Butler, Oweh & Williams. Carr & Garrison are also solid post defenders & Almonor gives us another plus defensive player at the 3/4. So, that is 6 guys who are somewhere between above average & elite, defensively. And, the 3 who came from smaller schools have proven themselves against P5 competition. We definitely have enough to be a good defensive team, IMO.
Mission successful.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
We have several guys who shoot a good percentage so hopefully we don't have too many nights where nobody can make a shot.
I also think an offense that is designed to get lots of open looks, rather than the offense we have had where guys often stood outside the arc waiting for a kick-out or ball reversal, will lend itself to not everyone going cold at once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT