ADVERTISEMENT

Once again Z outperforms Ugo in less mins.

Just curious , who is supposed to be guarding those wide open drives from the opponents ? Why is it all Ugo and Z’s fault ??
It is not, it is the guards fault for letting them get by them, but you would at least hope for a little rim protection from the big guys.

Defense is all about the backside of the defense . It’s tough keeping guards like Taylor and Radford in front of you for 40 minutes .
How about for 10 minutes? or
Every other dribble drive?

It is tough because it is work and you have to react to the ballhandler. The defender needs to play to the offensive player's strong hand and force him to his weak hand. Understand that Taylor and Radford are quick and shifty but you have to pressure them instead of letting them dictate to you. Our guards are just as quick and athletic, but I don't see a willingness on our players to concentrate on fundamentals and effort on defense. This goes for everyone, not just the guards. On the other hand, offense is fun and you get more accolades. We need skilled defensive players too, COW!

Ball-Dont-Lie.jpg

Z hasn't played enough games to be on this list but I'm guessing he'd rank in the top half

Ugo was huge in the win at Tennessee. He also had that 10 block game. It goes game to game with these three. Z scares me to death on defense when he’s in.

I noticed one time last night Mitchell had a perfect opportunity to step in and draw a charge, instead he stepped aside and half heartily threw his hands up like he was making a play as the TAM player shot a layup.

Let's be frank here in defense of Big Z. The NCAA f*cked him. He played in his 14th game just this evening. He's only played 163 minutes. He was basically behind for 3 months because of it. Being at Kentucky he didn't have the normal amount of time you'd expect to have.

Nothing should be held against him. His clearance was bullshit in the time it took to be concluded by the NCAA. It hurt him and us big time and it's not debatable.
I agree there.

Problem is rotating them 3 every 5 minutes. Missed rebound? You’re out, you’re in now. Bad defensive play? Now you’re out/hey you go in. Playing decent? Who cares you’re out, now you go back in.

Its insanity. Stick with the one with the most upside and let them develop.

I'll still take 7pts to 2, 3 blocks to 2 in less mins.
And UKs liability is on one end of the floor...in fact its their entire problem...you guys always forget there's 2 sides. Z is soft.

Here's the stat you didn't provide...outside of the blocks, how many inside points did he give up?

If the argument that Z needs to be in bc offense...LOL!!!! I think they are good there.

All our our 7 footers are weak....Ugo is the most physical of the 3

Last edited:
And UKs liability is on one end of the floor...in fact its their entire problem...you guys always forget there's 2 sides. Z is soft.

Here's the stat you didn't provide...outside of the blocks, how many inside points did he give up?

If the argument that Z needs to be in bc offense...LOL!!!!

All our our 7 footers are weak....Ugo is the most physical of the 3
Ugo isn't soft? Can't score, can't rebound and got posterized yesterday. He gets scored on at the rim as easily as Z so what's the upside?

At least Z can score, pass and rebound.

Problem is rotating them 3 every 5 minutes. Missed rebound? You’re out, you’re in now. Bad defensive play? Now you’re out/hey you go in. Playing decent? Who cares you’re out, now you go back in.

Its insanity. Stick with the one with the most upside and let them develop.
Too late to develop anyone. It is time to play who is helping and win games.

Ivisic is obviously the best option available.

Bradshaw, for all his faults, can at least catch the ball and look at the basket without tripping over his own feet or throwing it out of bounds. So he's ahead of Ugo just for that. He also at least tries to be physical and not let people push him around, whereas Ugo just accepts it and routinely gets displaced or pushed under the basket while other teams punish us on the glass.

I guess I just don't see how people don't get it. Did you see that steal Z had at the end of the game where he stayed in bounds as a 7 foot, 2 player. And gave a great pass for the assist. He has so much more upside. Maybe you're right. It's too late. He's only played 8 games. He just has so much more potential than Ugo in my opinion.

That was an amazing play that put us in position to complete the comeback. Of course immediately after cal takes him out for Mitchell who instantly gives up the and 1 to end our chances.

Mitchell is playing waaaaaay too much. In the beginning he carried us but he isn't that guy anymore. I know Cal's trying to get his legs back but it's too late. He needs to play spot minutes.

Z should be starting and playing a majority of the minutes. Ugo and Bradshaw for that matter should be the guys off the bench giving energy. Z has the talent to completely take over a game for stretches. Why you wouldn’t want to do that is beyond sane comprehension. But we also don’t start the best back court in the country so clearly the coach’s mental state is questionable.

Too late to develop anyone. It is time to play who is helping and win games.
That seems to be an annual answer to these criticisms. Wonder what the constant is? Cal never seems to have them ready to contribute to wins. But hopefully they’re ready for the draft combine.

We need defense, though and Ugo really does give us that.
Disagree know1

I like Ugo and he may develop into a decent defensive player next season, if he stays. Now, he tries to block every shot, does not defend his man or help very well, and is not a good rebounder for his size. On offense, his basic weapon is he can dunk. He provides no threat when he sets the high pick, unlike Big Z. Z is no better than an average defender but he can alter shots and can shoot the 3, find the open man, and shoot free throws. Unfortunate he missed over half the season. If he comes back next year and puts on 20lbs and strength, IMO, he will be an important cog.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Ugo is terrible on offense and defense and Z at least give us hope on offense- why does Ugo continue to start and play, oh wait look who our coach is - terrible

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT