ADVERTISEMENT

Official UK vs Miss State Game Thread

5th sting QB carving up Brad Whites D like a Thanksgiving turkey...

Stoops needs to get rid of these shitty ass coaches...

OYX2ZRJ.png

That's completely solid, logical rationale but not the rule. The wr must complete the catch which means something longer than just getting the foot down and something shorter than maintaining possession all the way till handing it back to the ref.

Correct call but imo worth looking at because it was close
I respect your opinion and the way the game was called in the 90s and early 2000’s prior to the “ground can’t cause a fumble” rule being reinforced I would agree w you but in todays game…….2 feet down and it wasn’t a falling catch. The hit occurred after hands were on the ball and they went from 2-3 feet in bounds to out of bounds before contact with the ground caused the ball to move….. I played**( used loosely as I was primarily a practice dummy bc my level was more ETSU/Marshall but 17 year old me wanted the “big time”) receiver and DB at this level…..that’s considered a catch 9 out of 10 times. Had it been ruled a catch on the field they wouldn’t have overturned it….we caught the 1 out of 10 interpretation this time. It was in a little grey area but most consider it a catch. It’s why Stoops was on the refs even after seeing the replay. Stoops knows football and isn’t going to argue with officials over something nonsensical. You have to choose your battles and that isn’t one any coach is going to choose when up 21 if they don’t 100% believe it to be incorrect.

Last edited:
That's completely solid, logical rationale but not the rule. The wr must complete the catch which means something longer than just getting the foot down and something shorter than maintaining possession all the way till handing it back to the ref.

Correct call but imo worth looking at because it was close

No. That's bullshit in this situation. He didn't go to the ground until after the play was over.
Once he had two feet down and control, it's a TD, or else the defender can always come in late and tackle any offensive player in the end zone to try to force a fumble. Once he possesses the ball with ONE foot down in bounds, the play is over. The defender continuing once the catch is already made and the play OVER by definition should be rrelevant to what has already taken place.

IF THE WR was going to the ground on the catch and dragging his feet, YES, he would have to maintain possession without bobbling through contact with the ground. THIS was not the same AT ALL.

Had Key caught the ball standing still in the end zone, and the defender came and knocked it out as he stepped out of bounds or as he raised the ball to celebrate the TD, ACCORDING TO THE RULE it would not be a catch, but it is ALWAYS ruled a TD.

We haven’t won there since 2008, we’re coming off a 3 game L streak. Yeah I’m not gonna complain about anything this game.

Reactions: cathouse
These officials are idiots.

Two feet down in end zone with the ball clearly in possession and not moving. Doesn't matter what the defender does afterward in making contact and trying to rip the ball out.

Hitting the kickers kicking leg is ROUGHING not running into the kicker.

They've royally screwed us on two plays that fortunately didn't come back to hurt us. The one where the MSU defender jerked and yanked McClain around after the play was dead, and only called us for a penalty was ridiculous.

I'm glad we're playing better tonight, but the SEC needs to find some more refs in a bad way
Hitting the plant leg is roughing. Making contact when running through the kicking leg is running into the kicker.

The only way hitting the kicking leg would be roughing is if the contact is very severe, which it wasn’t in this case. Refs made the right call.

Hitting the plant leg is roughing. Making contact when running through the kicking leg is running into the kicker.

The only way hitting the kicking leg would be roughing is if the contact is very severe, which it wasn’t in this case. Refs made the right call.

I had that reversed in my understanding. I'll defer to yours, because I don't have a rule book in front of me.

Yet, I've seen that called roughing in other games. So.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT