ADVERTISEMENT

**OFFICIAL FLORIDA VS KENTUCKY GAME THREAD••

All good man I get tired of the “Cal doesn’t miss shots” argument.
I mean I agree with that. I did catch a little bit of OT & watched our big man lose 3 rebounds that hit his hands & a couple wide open shots get missed. But I can’t speak on a second of regulation.

He lost 3PT shooters all night and he wasn't alone. Maybe DJ could have done better and Reed certainly would've been fresher at the end of the game. He played all 45 minutes.
Maybe he would’ve, it’s just really frustrating and honestly I don’t think minutes played would make a difference he’s done that all year

I mean I agree with that. I did catch a little bit of OT & watched our big man lose 3 rebounds that hit his hands & a couple wide open shots get missed. But I can’t speak on a second of regulation.
If these were one offs then yeah you can use that argument that “cal doesn’t miss shots”. We keep losing these games time and again by the same mistakes over and over again.

Nothing that Mitchell did or didn't do would have mattered if Shep had not been standing in no man's land picking his nose when all he had to do was to pick up the shooter. Everyone but Shep knew he needed to guard a player and not a spot on the floor inside the 3 line.
It shouldn’t have gotten to that point lmd. Cal should have had them foul. Knowing Cal as we do he probably never practices end game situations. How many games has his in attention to detail cost us?

Reactions: UKortho and Lazlo7
Sure. But even the best teams in the NBA have weaknesses and gaffes.

Our play tonight was good enough to win IMO. But it got ripped from us.
No doubt it was a factor getting them WAY ahead in the FT department. It does matter WHEN you call them but truthfully, we just don't get calls at home.

Just reviewed the play where Dilly cramped up. Pullin CLEARLY pushed him down on a drive. He must've moved 15 feet on that push. NO CALL and we lost Dilly with cramps in OT.

Cats were still up 1 on that no call.

Reactions: ruppcat
I am finished with giving a crap about this team. This team is who they are and it foolish to think they will get better. Cal doesn't care and nor do the players. You will never convince me that anything is wrong with DJ. Cal has decided to use fake illnesses and injuries as a means for managing his player rotation. Most likely on Saturday, there will be another one or two surprised injuries.

Reactions: Stoneule
If these were one offs then yeah you can use that argument that “cal doesn’t miss shots”. We keep losing these games time and again by the same mistakes over and over again.
I think it’s the opposite. If you’re constantly missing FTs, wide open shots, and leaving shooters, there’s only so much Cal can do. What does he do, sit Reed then lose everything he brings offensively?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Reeds defense was not good tonight. That said players, including Reed, had put this team in the position to win the damn game. At that point the coach has to do his job and execute as well. 100% INEXCUSABLE TO NOT FOUL. That is on Cal. Now foul and fail to box out on free throw that is on the players. Cal absolutely shit the bed yet again in the situation where he has to do his job.
Maybe he should’ve of fouled but that doesn’t excuse lazy defense. The game could have been won. No one should get a pass. Saying that reed costed the game on that isn’t sticking up for Cal. This you either hate cal or love cal around here stuff is getting old

No doubt it was a factor getting them WAY ahead in the FT department. It does matter WHEN you call them but truthfully, we just don't get calls at home.

And it seems to be getting worse. We're now not getting calls at home.

The funny thing is, this is still gonna be a problem in the SEC once Cal leaves.

Maybe he should’ve of fouled but that doesn’t excuse lazy defense. The game could have been won. No one should get a pass. Saying that reed costed the game on that isn’t sticking up for Cal. This you either hate cal or love cal around here stuff is getting old
Cal can only control strategy and he pissed down his leg.

I think it’s the opposite. If you’re constantly missing FTs, wide open shots, and leaving shooters, there’s only so much Cal can do. What does he do, sit Reed then lose everything he brings offensively?
Heated the thing. Cal lost a title at Memphis due to bad FTs. I don’t think he’s made it a focus sense. He’s the coach. He’s gotta take ownership at some point.

Here the difference. Being overly negative after a win is easy to spot. Fans have absolute right to be livid right now. We have the best offensive team we’ve had in seasons. Number one class. And Cal has run them right into the ground.
I'm not talking after after a loss or a win. I agree after we lost its justified. It was rampant starting 20 minutes before the game and throughout the entirety of the game. Thats what I'm saying needs to stop. Constant negativity from pre tip off and throughout the game even when we are leading is ridiculous.

Just reviewed the play where Dilly cramped up. Pullin CLEARLY pushed him down on a drive. He must've moved 15 feet on that push. NO CALL and we lost Dilly with cramps in OT.
Told my kid that was a push off.....anywhere except Rupp.

Reactions: jameslee32
It shouldn’t have gotten to that point lmd. Cal should have had them foul. Knowing Cal as we do he probably never practices end game situations. How many games has his in attention to detail cost us?
My issue with Reed is that throughout the game he acted as if he didn't understand the simple concept of running the opposing team's 3 point shooters off the line. When we had them down by 4 he nearly gave up an open 3 attempt by standing flatfooted and not appearing to realize the opponent would shoot the 3.

Heated the thing. Cal lost a title at Memphis due to bad FTs. I don’t think he’s made it a focus sense. He’s the coach. He’s gotta take ownership at some point.

I picked the first NBA game I could find tonight.. Phoenix and Brooklyn. Sun's are 19/26 and Brooklyn is 8/12 from free throw.

Sure, it would be nice to work on free throws more... I guess? But isn't that more for the player to be working on.

I clicked on the first men's game.. uconn providence.. one team is shooting 40% the other 60% lol. Dan Hurleys team is shooting just 60% from the free throw tonight. So if we do indeed land him.. what's the story going to be when his team shoots that type of percentage?

I bring this to you because your reasonable. Too many others here are just waiting for there to be a missed 2pointer so they can rapid fire on Cal.

0-2 at home without DJ but many here say he sucks and Reed should play over him
It doesn't matter which players play. This team sucks. They can't reliably rebound. They can't defend. They are horrible in the half court. No one can hardly get good open looks. The wrong guys keep taking shots at critical times. The coach refuses to try and change what's not working. This team has been figured out and will struggle winning any game the rest of the season. It will be constant close games we should win easy or we get blown out. Saturday will likely be a bad situation. We might finish above .500 in the SEC..........might.

Cal is certainly as much of a blame for this loss as anyone. How the heck could a player with little to no warmup come into a game like Z did in his first game and look like he was the best player on the court but now can't hardly get any play? As normally, Cal is the Destroyer.

I picked the first NBA game I could find tonight.. Phoenix and Brooklyn. Sun's are 19/26 and Brooklyn is 8/12 from free throw.

Sure, it would be nice to work on free throws more... I guess? But isn't that more for the player to be working on.

I clicked on the first men's game.. uconn providence.. one team is shooting 40% the other 60% lol. Dan Hurleys team is shooting just 60% from the free throw tonight. So if we do indeed land him.. what's the story going to be when his team shoots that type of percentage?

I bring this to you because your reasonable. Too many others here are just waiting for there to be a missed 2pointer so they can rapid fire on Cal.
Yes it’s on players too. But who leads those players? Not everything is Cal’s fault. But when your HC you own that record period.

I'm not talking after after a loss or a win. I agree after we lost its justified. It was rampant starting 20 minutes before the game and throughout the entirety of the game. Thats what I'm saying needs to stop. Constant negativity from pre tip off and throughout the game even when we are leading is ridiculous.

There are a good 15 to 20 posters here (probably using multiple usernames) who are just here to blast Cal. Player misses a shot? Cals fault for not teaching him how to shoot in high-school.

These types are just spending the entire game to find faults with him.

He lost 3PT shooters all night and he wasn't alone. Maybe DJ could have done better and Reed certainly would've been fresher at the end of the game. He played all 45 minutes.
The end of regulation play wasn't about losing the 3-point shooter. It was a serious case of having no clue what was going on or no interest in stopping the shooter.

Reactions: Lazlo7
And it seems to be getting worse. We're now not getting calls at home.

The funny thing is, this is still gonna be a problem in the SEC once Cal leaves.
I can deal with losses but it's really an insane disparity that doesn't seem to happen elsewhere. Often I will point out that the calls are going in our favor late and it looks much better in a boxscore. I did that again tonight. The good news is in tournament play, they tend to let them play.

Yes it’s on players too. But who leads those players? Not everything is Cal’s fault. But when your HC you own that record period.

OK, but.. what about Hurley? He has a worse free throw percentage tonight. And he's considered one of the 2 or 3 best coaches in the league.

My point is, we're setting standards that are just far too high, and unrealistic, at least for today's AAU type game of basketball.. just to try and justify why we want Cal gone. You're likely not going to have teams shoot 90% free throws, night in and night out. And you're not going to beat a top35 team (now probably a top25 team) with the officiating we had tonight.

I know what will stop it.

We just don't have the man in charge to do it

Reactions: bbncal02
OK, but.. what about Hurley? He has a worse free throw percentage tonight. And he's considered one of the 2 or 3 best coaches in the league.

My point is, we're setting standards that are just far too high, at least for today's AAU type game of basketball. You're likely not going to have teams shoot 90% free throws, night in and night out.
No that’s fair. But I can count on my hand at least three tourney games that missed FTs cost us a game. It’s a thing with his teams and its infuriating.

My point is, we're setting standards that are just far too high, and unrealistic, at least for today's AAU type game of basketball.. just to try and justify why we want Cal gone. You're likely not going to have teams shoot 90% free throws, night in and night out. And you're not going to beat a top35 team (now probably a top25 team) with the officiating we had tonight.
I'd take 75%.

Tonight UK was 65%.

Everybody here LOVES Reed Sheppard! Buuut, you can't ignore his ball watching. He should've been on Clayton like velcro
Wasn’t it the coach’s job during the timeout to set the defense? You know like telling every player to guard the 3 point line.

Reed made a freshman mistake but he should have been primed. You don’t play your normal defense in that situation.

I’d be willing to bet that Cal told them so many things in that huddle that they had no idea what to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT