ADVERTISEMENT

Not Just a Random Collection of Players

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I think we are about to see the difference between strategically recruiting to build a cohesive team vs recruiting only the highest available players. Using a cooking analogy, randomly combining the best ingredients in a cooking container/pot won't assure a great tasting meal. The quality of the ingredients won't matter if they don't blend effectively to enhance the taste of the other ingredients. Coach Pope realizes that just randomly signing the best available players to build a team won't likely produce a good team if the individual players don't blend well to effectively enhance the unique skills of their teammates. If just one ingredient/player is off, it is likely to ruin the entire meal/team. I believe Coach Pope is going to show us that if the right diversity of players, some average some very good, are brought together, they can become a great team. This is going to be a very exciting upcoming season to watch playout.

I think we are about to see the difference between strategically recruiting to build a cohesive team vs recruiting only the highest available players. Using a cooking analogy, randomly combining the best ingredients in a cooking container/pot won't assure a great tasting meal. The quality of the ingredients won't matter if they don't blend effectively to enhance the taste of the other ingredients. Coach Pope realizes that just randomly signing the best available players to build a team won't likely produce a good team if the individual players don't blend well to effectively enhance the unique skills of their teammates. If just one ingredient/player is off, it is likely to ruin the entire meal/team. I believe Coach Pope is going to show us that if the right diversity of players, some average some very good, are brought together, they can become a great team. This is going to be a very exciting upcoming season to watch playout.
An astute observation, LmdC ... and an apt analogy, indeed ! Thanks for making this very important point !
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Excellent post !

Excellent observation @LmdCat and great analogy
I know a lot of us tend to be disappointed at not getting the highest rated players (I know I’ve been guilty of that) and have asked why in the world did Pope go after and sign a certain guy. We have been conditioned to think that’s what we need.
The more work I see Mark and staff put in, the more I’m trusting that they’re putting together the best possible team we can have for the upcoming season

Analytics will be studied.
Minutes allotted on performance and effort.
Teams will be scouted.
Mismatches will be taken advantage of.
Offensive sets will create open shots for shooters where they like to shoot.
Changing defenses to shut down a hot hand.

Simply put, we have a coach that will win games with excellent preparation and strategy.

I trust Coach Pope.

Teams will be scouted.

Simply put, we have a coach that will win games with excellent preparation and strategy.

I trust Coach Pope.
I trust Coach Pope, too, OrCat ... and isn't it a gloriously good feeling ! ! !
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Was one of my biggest gripes w/ Cal. He became obsessed with recruiting rankings and the allure of landing the #1 class.

This is extremely problematic bc we know
not all classes are created equal and there will be roster deficiencies if you don't recruit focused on roster need.
Eh...generally speaking, I never had a problem with the rosters Cal constructed. The majority were capable of making deep runs; however, they generally lacked the type of coaching needed to make that deep run.

Give me Pope coaching last years team, no doubt we are out of the first weekend at a minimum.

Dayum.....

200w.gif

Da Brudder taking it up a whole notch...

GP

We as fans are going to have to adjust our mindset about the recruiting rankings. We probably won't have the top classes anymore but the players will be brought in for their particular skill, whether it's shooting, defense, rebounding, assists, or even being a good "cutter" as Pope talked about. Kentucky and it's 5* recruits have often gotten beat by the types of players and team that Pope is assembling now. I've not been this excited about a season since just before the 2014-15 season started (and it's only May).

Well I am hoping Pope makes some of the best buttermilk biscuits and gravy out of the team he has.

He has the right ingredients. Now if he gets one or two guys that can really get hot and cook we will have the perfect risen biscuits. We will rise to the top. Gravy is just the extra sauce to go as far as we can.

• Love
Reactions: runt#69
Cal was terrible at teambuilding. It’s one thing to be pedestrian about teambuilding. Do it in an uninspired way, cover all the bases without players really being set up to lift each other to another level. But Cal didn’t even cover all the bases. Most of the time he didn’t even try.

That’s what all that “positionless” nonsense was really all about. Not at all a serious approach to basketball. Just a clever marketing gimmick to distract people from the fact that John Vincent Calipari cgaf about putting together a basketball “team.”

I agree, Pope is recruiting a team with all the parts, so he can run his offense, Cal recruited talented but mostly unproven freshmen and rolled the ball out expecting them to make plays and compete. Which is why Cal usually lost tight games and lost to real coaches .

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Eh...generally speaking, I never had a problem with the rosters Cal constructed. The majority were capable of making deep runs; however, they generally lacked the type of coaching needed to make that deep run.

Give me Pope coaching last years team, no doubt we are out of the first weekend at a minimum.
When I reflect back on the past 5 to 8 years, I remember teams of very athletic players who couldn't shoot, shooters without defenders, absent of a point guard. There would always be a major component missing.

Excellent

Teams will be scouted.

I trust Coach Pope.
Well said, everything in this post is something we will see from Pope and his staff.

Reactions: ORCAT10
I figured everyone with 2 brain cells already knew this was the intent.

I’m still convinced Kriisa is rotten and expired and we’re throwing him into our UK stew. But the decision has been made….so all there is left to do is sit back and observe Chef Pope cook. Can’t be a food critic until we have played 6-8 games.

Cal was terrible at teambuilding. It’s one thing to be pedestrian about teambuilding. Do it in an uninspired way, cover all the bases without players really being set up to lift each other to another level. But Cal didn’t even cover all the bases. Most of the time he didn’t even try.

That’s what all that “positionless” nonsense was really all about. Not at all a serious approach to basketball. Just a clever marketing gimmick to distract people from the fact that John Vincent Calipari cgaf about putting together a basketball “team.”
Cal was all about changing the lives of poor black families, at least that is what he insinuated.

I love the makeup & potential of the roster, so far. These guys might not be superstars, but, they are what I consider to be elite role players. And, they are great fits for Pope’s style of play & should mesh quite well, together.

There are lockdown defenders & knockdown shooters at all 3 levels. There are smart, experienced players who are capable passers at all 3 levels, including a slick passing big in AW who is ideal for kick outs & skip passes to the snipers. Among those snipers are the 2 best catch & shoot players in the country, who should get all the open looks they can handle in this offense.

The roster has the size, depth & versatility to go big, small, offense, defense, whatever. And, there doesn’t seem to be any divas with massive egos to cause bs behind the scenes. We still need that go-to, bucket getter type of guy. But, the complementary pieces that we do have are as good as you can hope for in this era, IMO.

I think this could be a top 15-20 team as it stands. But, I also think adding a stud scorer could push this team into top 5-10 territory. Maybe I’m overvaluing them some. But, I’m a big believer in skill, experience, IQ & cohesion. And, on paper, this group checks all the boxes, to this point, IMO.

Cal was all about changing the lives of poor black families, at least that is what he insinuated.
Yeah, that got really old. "Savior" sales pitch...and he loves it. Kinda think he started believing his own bullshit. Way more about him than the players imo. And NEVER about BBN...seemed to resent us. And the national media called him out on it. Eh...sincerity over hyperbole now. Fine with me.

Gosh doesn't this make the point regarding what coach Cal has been feeding us. We've had all kinds of expensive ingredients going into his kitchen....but when it looked and smelled like crap, it must have been crap. Makes you want to go to McDonalds.

I’m still convinced Kriisa is rotten and expired and we’re throwing him into our UK stew. But the decision has been made….so all there is left to do is sit back and observe Chef Pope cook. Can’t be a food critic until we have played 6-8 games.
Pope has known the guy for 5 or 6 years, recruited him before Kriisa went to Zona, tried to get him when Kriisa when to WVU. I would think Pope would check if the milk had spoiled. Anyone can make a mistake but I would think as important as year 1 is for Pope he would not take many chances.

Pope has known the guy for 5 or 6 years, recruited him before Kriisa went to Zona, tried to get him when Kriisa when to WVU. I would think Pope would check if the milk had spoiled. Anyone can make a mistake but I would think as important as year 1 is for Pope he would not take many chances.
Maybe Kerr is more like a hot pepper than spoiled milk!

Reactions: TM2013

news let GIF

Teams will be scouted.

I trust Coach Pope.
I agree 1000%. Pope and his staff put a lot of emphasis on the analytics. He doesn’t just roll the ball out there and erase a game plan.

Reactions: ORCAT10
Maybe Kerr is more like a hot pepper than spoiled milk!
His is a spicy dude. Unafraid. You got to like that. I see the bad as well but maybe one more chance, with one of the Blue Bloods of College basketball and you can the the straw that stirs the drink.
I am trying to figure out who our glue guy will be, Butler?

His is a spicy dude. Unafraid. You got to like that. I see the bad as well but maybe one more chance, with one of the Blue Bloods of College basketball and you can the the straw that stirs the drink.
I am trying to figure out who our glue guy will be, Butler?
You have to have that dude who won't back down when things get serious. We haven't had that since Cousin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT