ADVERTISEMENT

Not exactly "platoons" but not a bad team (this is for you, Tucker)

We said this last year in the Bahamas too. We thought Collins was going to be a star. Pump the brakes. The reality is, against good competition, a lot of these guys will not look as great as they did this week. We beat 4 teams that are on the same talent level as a team in the OVC.
Who is “we”.

I was in the Bahamas and thought nothing like that.

It was obvious we couldn’t guard. It was obvious Wheeler was the same player as always. It was obvious that Toppin wasn’t an improvement over Brooks and why Cal had played Brooks instead of Toppin.

It was obvious that the only way Collins would play would be at guard and that wasn’t happening.

They were just practice games against high school level teams. No defense played by us or them.

In Canada there’s many areas that need work. But there’s a huge difference in this team. The mistakes are just not knowing yet. Not an inability to get there.

This team makes errors of commission. That will get better with coaching and repetition.

The post game will get better by just having post players out there.

The team in the Bahamas made errors of omission. That wasn’t going to improve and didn’t.

This team, while raw, has the basketball IQ to be special.

That’s been lacing the last 3 seasons. Not just last season.

We have played the last 3 seasons without a true point guard.

This team has 3 point guards.

As for the completion, they were night and day better than the Bahamas. They weren’t world beaters in Canada but they were grown men that knew how to play and were physical.

We played to our strengths. Not to theirs.

This was a good showing with a lot of promise.

We left the Bahamas with questions. We leave Canada with answers.

In some way or fashion:

Starters:
DJ
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Bradshaw

Platoon:
Dilly
Shep
Burks
Thiero
Ugo

Not bad, considering Kyle Tucker pushing the panic button a few weeks ago.
The problem was a few weeks ago this team did not have Reeves and Mitchell. Without those two, or maybe their equals, you would not have had the performances we saw during those games.

Reactions: SosaUK1987
We said this last year in the Bahamas too. We thought Collins was going to be a star. Pump the brakes. The reality is, against good competition, a lot of these guys will not look as great as they did this week. We beat 4 teams that are on the same talent level as a team in the OVC.

10-C68758-57-D1-401-C-8-CC4-0103-FC7140-F2.jpg

Who is “we”.

It was obvious we couldn’t guard. It was obvious Wheeler was the same player as always. It was obvious that Toppin wasn’t an improvement over Brooks and why Cal had played Brooks instead of Toppin.

It was obvious that the only way Collins would play would be at guard and that wasn’t happening.

They were just practice games against high school level teams. No defense played by us or them.

In Canada there’s many areas that need work. But there’s a huge difference in this team. The mistakes are just not knowing yet. Not an inability to get there.

This team makes errors of commission. That will get better with coaching and repetition.

The team in the Bahamas made errors of omission. That wasn’t going to improve and didn’t.

As for the completion, they were night and day better than the Bahamas. They weren’t world beaters in Canada but they were grown men that knew how to play and were physical.

Agree with this plus I think this team is more talented . Leaving Oscar out of the equation until we get one of 7 footers back .Reeves is back, who would you rather have, Edwards or Toppin. Wagner Sheppard , Dillingham or Wallace , Fredrick ?’

Reactions: SosaUK1987
Who is “we”.

TLDR: I agree this team is better than last year. I loved the play style and offense. I enjoyed the Global Jam and I’m glad we won.

The competition in the Bahamas was probably D3 level. The competition at Global Jam was low level D1 at least. Bottom line: we are likely not as good or as deep as we saw this week once we see real D1 competition.

In some way or fashion:

Starters:
DJ
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Bradshaw

Platoon:
Dilly
Shep
Burks
Thiero
Ugo

Not bad, considering Kyle Tucker pushing the panic button a few weeks ago.

Well, in Tucker's defense, there was no way at the time to know that Tre Mitchell would fall into our lap like an unexpected gift from the gods. Ole Bob Huggins having a career-ending drunken meltdown was quite a lucky break for UK. If that hadn't happened, our frontcourt situation looks quite different.

And, of course, it was also widely believed at the time that Reeves was gone ...until he apparently had a change of heart. Take away Mitchell and Reeves ...as things looked a few weeks ago ...and our roster situation looks far more dire.

I don’t think we will platoon. Most likely Cal will play his usual 9-man rotation.

I think once they are both healthy. We will see Onyenso and Bradshaw splitting minutes at the 5, while Mitchell plays mainly as a stretch 4. Thiero plays a small ball 4 man to finish out the rotation at the 4 and 5.

Backcourt rotation of Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Dillingham, and Sheppard.

Many on here was talking about how great last year's team was going to be after the Bahamas. We will see where they stand after their first 10 games.

Disagree.

Bradshaw is going to be really good IMO.

And he'll still probably only be our 4th or 5th best player.

That is how you know how loaded this team is going to be.

I suspect Bradshaw will end up with an 11 and 6 average. If you take the top 10 freshman bigs over the last 5 or so years and average out there PPG and RPG, that's where you fall. Some are worse (Montgomery, or K. Ware and Lively last year) and some are really good (Carey, Stewart, Ayton)

What's nice about Tre Mitchell is that he is pretty definitively going to give you a solid 10 and 5 from the frontcourt as a base.

Neither Bradshaw or Ugo are playing.
Lol keep making stuff up....you're insufferable.....gotta be a former poster reincarnated here. You can't ever say one positive thing or be happy for millisecond.

Lol keep making stuff up....you're insufferable.....gotta be a former poster reincarnated here. You can't ever say one positive thing or be happy for millisecond.
Not at all, on any of those fronts. Until Cal proves that he's UK first and holds these kids accountable for their refusal to play, one can only go off recent history. How could you view recent history as positive? One of my favorite movies is Field Of Dreams. Let Cal win the fanbase back. You'd know a lot about insufferable, wouldn't ya?

Not at all, on any of those fronts. Until Cal proves that he's UK first and holds these kids accountable for their refusal to play, one can only go off recent history. How could you view recent history as positive? One of my favorite movies is Field Of Dreams. Let Cal win the fanbase back. You'd know a lot about insufferable, wouldn't ya?
Cal has not lost most of the fanbase. I keep telling you haters that you're in the minority with all of your negativity. What kids have not been held accountable for not playing. Are you still complaining about Sharpe? If you mean Wheeler, he was benched and then injured.

Reactions: Lempface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT