ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban

It is a new era. I think the playing field will be a bit more fair to teams not named alabama going forward as well. Talent is gonna spread out due to NIL and maybe we get some much needed parity in the sport.

The Bamas of the world will still have advantages and win big at times but not like Saban did. That was an epic run.

It is a new era. I think the playing field will be a bit more fair to teams not named alabama going forward as well. Talent is gonna spread out due to NIL and maybe we get some much needed parity in the sport.

The Bamas of the world will still have advantages and win big at times but not like Saban did. That was an epic run.
Tradition doesn’t mean nearly as much as what it used to. Look at what Ole Miss, Missouri, and Washington did last year.

I understand Saban being upset if his players showed their ass after the loss but to bitch about players asking about playing time and NIL is ridiculous. Saban wasn’t coaching for free and he got rich by being able to insert players in the lineup whenever he wanted. Kids get 4 years to showcase their talent or just play. The days are over of kids being happy to work 4 years to maybe get that start your senior year.

Tradition doesn’t mean nearly as much as what it used to. Look at what Ole Miss, Missouri, and Washington did last year.

I think you have under valued Washington, they were a force not long ago, OM was at one time too. Missouri had 1 or 2 good years but never put any kind of lengthy run together. Could be wrong but I think they fall off a good bit in 24.

I think you have under valued Washington, they were a force not long ago, OM was at one time too. Missouri had 1 or 2 good years but never put any kind of lengthy run together. Could be wrong but I think they fall off a good bit in 24.
There are plenty of reasons to believe Kentucky is right on the verge of breaking thru like those teams mentioned. Mitch Barnhart’s attitude and beliefs have made it harder than it needs to be the last couple years.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Saban was the best but he didn’t do it without having a contract specifying his details and pay. How do you fault kids who want the same given the way college athletics has evolved?
Because Saban is a grown-ass man and had earned his stripes well before he landed at Bama. Saban didn't become CFB's greatest coach of all time by caving to Little Timmy's wishes of playing as an underclassman. Dudes earned the right to play for Alabama by busting their ass. CNS certainly didn't get to where he is by "insert(ing) players in the lineup whenever he wanted."

With the NFL, there's a good amount of film on each draftee. This film is typically of a player going against the best of their conference. Rookie contracts make sense because there's less danger of a bust. But, repeated busts damage a program and get a lot of folks canned. That danger of a bust is infinitely greater with players coming out of high school.

Take Matt Elam for example. You think he deserved a big contract over Bud Dupree or Josh Allen? How are you going to tell how the 2* WR from Alcoa, TN is going to perform vs the 4* QB from Carmel, IN? There's no way colleges and their NIL dealers (outside of maybe Texas) can afford to foot every single underclassman a big lump of money.

So no, I don't think an athlete that hasn't earned playing time – let alone busted their tail to get it – should be rewarded. Kids earn their spot on the field and get rewarded. Until that point, they work towards the payday by proving or exceeding their recruiting ranking.

There are plenty of reasons to believe Kentucky is right on the verge of breaking thru like those teams mentioned. Mitch Barnhart’s attitude and beliefs have made it harder than it needs to be the last couple years.
and how quickly we forget that even schools like Alabama can fallback into mediocrity. They were there for a few decades.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Don't disagree on UK, but do on Barnhart. If he hadn't shown some patience CMS would not have had the opportunity to get UK on the verge of breaking thru to where UK fans want it to be. UK may be behind a few of the corrupt schools who jumped at the thought of paying players like UT. But UK is in the mix now, you think Vandagriff chose a school not offering a competitive NIL when he has multiple offers who were? of JDJ? Same with the RB from UF who came to UGA, he was offered a competitive NIL. I wish we could swap AD's with UK.

Reactions: UKat1
Because Saban is a grown-ass man and had earned his stripes well before he landed at Bama. Saban didn't become CFB's greatest coach of all time by caving to Little Timmy's wishes of playing as an underclassman. Dudes earned the right to play for Alabama by busting their ass. CNS certainly didn't get to where he is by "insert(ing) players in the lineup whenever he wanted."

With the NFL, there's a good amount of film on each draftee. This film is typically of a player going against the best of their conference. Rookie contracts make sense because there's less danger of a bust. But, repeated busts damage a program and get a lot of folks canned. That danger of a bust is infinitely greater with players coming out of high school.

Take Matt Elam for example. You think he deserved a big contract over Bud Dupree or Josh Allen? How are you going to tell how the 2* WR from Alcoa, TN is going to perform vs the 4* QB from Carmel, IN? There's no way colleges and their NIL dealers (outside of maybe Texas) can afford to foot every single underclassman a big lump of money.

So no, I don't think an athlete that hasn't earned playing time – let alone busted their tail to get it – should be rewarded. Kids earn their spot on the field and get rewarded. Until that point, they work towards the payday by proving or exceeding their recruiting ranking.
Where did I write a kid who doesn’t deserve playing time should get playing time?

Saban said he didn’t like kids wanting to know how much NIL they could get or if he could tell them if they are going to play or not and how much. Oh the travesty. God forbid a kid who most likely isn’t going to play in the NFL want to know where he stands. Not every kid is a professional lock and kids want to play. The days of stockpiling talent and expecting them to wait until their senior year to play are mostly over. These athletes have a short window to play the game as 99% are done after their college years.

You bide your time today and you may get recruited over or who knows who the coach will bring in from the transfer portal that all coaches use but profess to hate. Too many coaches today expect players to be grateful and just keep their mouth shut and do as they are told and just accept how their situation unfolds. Players have been given some leverage and it makes a coaches life more difficult. Tell me the last D1 coach that signed an initial 1 year deal which is what a scholarship is.

Just like the Bear. In his last season (or next to last) a newspaper writer said after a game in a quiet moment just the 2 of them Bear Bryant sadly shook his head and said "I can't coach these young men anymore".

Where did I write a kid who doesn’t deserve playing time should get playing time?
Well, the response you gave. Plus, "Saban wasn’t coaching for free and he got rich by being able to insert players in the lineup whenever he wanted." This implies he could just play anyone at any time for any reason and still win like he did. Might not be how you meant it, but that's how it comes across. Furthermore, how can Saban be expected to know exactly how much a guy will play? See my point about busts and recruiting rankings. How do you make a multi-year contract for a kid that might suck so bad he rides the pine for five years?

Saban said he didn’t like kids wanting to know how much NIL they could get or if he could tell them if they are going to play or not and how much.
1. NIL shouldn't be a coach's issue. It just shouldn't. Recruit, develop, plan, execute. That's it. I get why Saban is saying "F- it!"
2. Again, how can Saban know what a player is worth? Kids coming out of high school.
*** Let me reiterate ***
HIGH SCHOOL, shouldn't be bargaining for thousands – let alone millions. Without infrastructure in place, players can basically extort a university. Can you imagine if there was NIL when Sharpe was dicking with UK?

Oh the travesty.
nbc GIF by Timeless

God forbid a kid who most likely isn’t going to play in the NFL want to know where he stands.
I want a gold Ferrari. I have about as good a chance at getting that as I do knowing which top ten QB recruits will bust. Until a kid gets into the program, develops, and plays games, how is anyone – coach, parent, fan, athlete, etc to know where they stand? That's completely unreasonable for 99% of kids.

Not every kid is a professional lock and kids want to play.
Kids aren't entitled to play time. Athletes are more than capable of jumping ship to get playing time nowadays if they aren't willing to develop under their first program. Guys can't just bargain their way into playing time or contracts if they suck or haven't developed.

The days of stockpiling talent and expecting them to wait until their senior year to play are mostly over.
Patience is a virtue, but again, athletes can leave. If the Manning kid can wait his turn, so can any other buckaroo that thinks they're hot sheet.

These athletes have a short window to play the game as 99% are done after their college years.

You bide your time today and you may get recruited over or who knows who the coach will bring in from the transfer portal that all coaches use but profess to hate.
Should we expect a coach facing a mass exodus of transfers to not try and fill needs? Trying to keep players on the team while courting dozens of transfers while getting prepped for spring practice while finding assistants while talking with NIL sponsors.... It's horse crap. Again, coaches have too much on their plate.

Too many coaches today expect players to be grateful and just keep their mouth shut and do as they are told and just accept how their situation unfolds.
That's called accountability. Coaches can't strike an athlete's path for them.

Players have been given some leverage and it makes a coaches life more difficult. Tell me the last D1 coach that signed an initial 1 year deal which is what a scholarship is.
How do you figure a scholly is a one year deal? When did it stop being a 3-5 year commitment 99% of the time?

Well, the response you gave. Plus, "Saban wasn’t coaching for free and he got rich by being able to insert players in the lineup whenever he wanted." This implies he could just play anyone at any time for any reason and still win like he did. Might not be how you meant it, but that's how it comes across. Furthermore, how can Saban be expected to know exactly how much a guy will play? See my point about busts and recruiting rankings. How do you make a multi-year contract for a kid that might suck so bad he rides the pine for five years?

1. NIL shouldn't be a coach's issue. It just shouldn't. Recruit, develop, plan, execute. That's it. I get why Saban is saying "F- it!"
2. Again, how can Saban know what a player is worth? Kids coming out of high school.
*** Let me reiterate ***
HIGH SCHOOL, shouldn't be bargaining for thousands – let alone millions. Without infrastructure in place, players can basically extort a university. Can you imagine if there was NIL when Sharpe was dicking with UK?

nbc GIF by Timeless

I want a gold Ferrari. I have about as good a chance at getting that as I do knowing which top ten QB recruits will bust. Until a kid gets into the program, develops, and plays games, how is anyone – coach, parent, fan, athlete, etc to know where they stand? That's completely unreasonable for 99% of kids.

Kids aren't entitled to play time. Athletes are more than capable of jumping ship to get playing time nowadays if they aren't willing to develop under their first program. Guys can't just bargain their way into playing time or contracts if they suck or haven't developed.

Patience is a virtue, but again, athletes can leave. If the Manning kid can wait his turn, so can any other buckaroo that thinks they're hot sheet.

Should we expect a coach facing a mass exodus of transfers to not try and fill needs? Trying to keep players on the team while courting dozens of transfers while getting prepped for spring practice while finding assistants while talking with NIL sponsors.... It's horse crap. Again, coaches have too much on their plate.

How do you figure a scholly is a one year deal? When did it stop being a 3-5 year commitment 99% of the time?

Because when a kid signs his scholarship it is for 1 year, not 3-4. The school held all the power for decades, could not renew scholarship, while school B was offering one, but kid had to sit out a year. Now most of the time scholarships were renewed, but they were and are 1 year deals. There were talks of changing to 4 year deals a few years back, but NCAA said that was not necessary, another great decision.

*** Let me reiterate ***

nbc GIF by Timeless

They get paid well for having so much on their plate. For coaches to bitch now about kids inquiring about money and playing time, while constantly asking about contract extensions and raises is disengenous. These players, even the ones that don't pan out, have been exploited for years with the schools and the NCAA making millions/billions off of these kids. I'm glad they are finally able to get their cut of that money. How much money do you think Kentucky made off of players that were loved by fans but never played on Sundays, while those kids didn't make shit. And before you say it, the "free education" argument is tired. They made tons more off of these kids than they pay for the kids to go to school and eat.

They get paid well for having so much on their plate. For coaches to bitch now about kids inquiring about money and playing time, while constantly asking about contract extensions and raises is disengenous. These players, even the ones that don't pan out, have been exploited for years with the schools and the NCAA making millions/billions off of these kids. I'm glad they are finally able to get their cut of that money. How much money do you think Kentucky made off of players that were loved by fans but never played on Sundays, while those kids didn't make shit. And before you say it, the "free education" argument is tired. They made tons more off of these kids than they pay for the kids to go to school and eat.
You're assuming my stance. I've never been a "free education" argument guy.

Kids should get compensated. Point blank. I'm saying that compensation should scale with on-field production 9 times out of 10 OR be a set rate for each "student" athlete. I don't mind the bench warmers getting contracts, but we can't have kids demanding thousands and thousands for riding pine. Universities don't have NFL budgets.

And sure, coaches are getting paid a ton, but I'd rather they get paid to (again) recruit, develop, plan, and execute. Until there's some sort of collective bargaining under a real authority (not NCAA) and this NIL weight is taken off the coaches, they're forced to be a jack of all trades at the expense of what they're actually paid to do: coach. Fundraising (on this scale), bargaining with athletes, and then dealing with 10+ transfers in or out each year is not something college coaches have had to deal with before.

The current system isn't sustainable. The dam burst and everything hit college athletics all at once. Athletes should have bargaining power, absolutely, but they have to have a realistic mindset. "I'm on campus and I'm going to extort my school without actually producing" ain't it. Set rate, accept that they're behind a better player and wait their turn, or transfer out. Those are the options as I see them right now.

And yeah, I agree coaches should shut up and be happy with their millions. Here's the thing, though, ADs have to bargain and everything with what? A dozen coaches? MBB, WBB, FB, baseball, softball, golf, rifle, track & field, wrestling, equestrian, gymnastics, cheerleading... Maybe? That's literally part of the AD's job: bargaining with coaches, hiring, fundraising, and reporting to trustees and other admin.

A head CFB coach has 85+ athletes to appease. That NIL load should not be shouldered by coaches. NIL needs to be shouldered largely by admin like compliance, scholarships, and admissions.

Reactions: Cat06 and ala_kat2
Because when a kid signs his scholarship it is for 1 year, not 3-4. The school held all the power for decades, could not renew scholarship, while school B was offering one, but kid had to sit out a year. Now most of the time scholarships were renewed, but they were and are 1 year deals. There were talks of changing to 4 year deals a few years back, but NCAA said that was not necessary, another great decision.
I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Girthang
The real world...you get paid on what your production is, not what it might be in a year. That's reality.

If you don't produce, you are terminated and/or take a lower position.

What I see is, young athletes expect to get paid and play based on their performance at the High School level. As we all know, the level of competition changes from high school to college. The numbers are out there of how many high school players end up in the NFL. Historically, coaches have had the ability to let a player develop, showcase their talents against their peers, and them allow them to play when the opportunity is right both for the player and the team.

Now, we have players and others, clamoring for NIL deals, guaranteed playing time, and are shopping themselves to highest bidder before ever stepping foot on a college campus.

This, to all but the internet warriors, must seem very difficult to manage. How do you tell Bobby Flay that after 3 years of hard work and they are ready to start, that oh no we spent $500k on Johnny Unitas and he's starting because of the investment.

I stated this years ago...the greed of the money will, and has to some degree, ruin(ed) college football. People clamoring to pay the athletes, kids demanding money, transfers at a whiff of someone better coming into the program, all have made the game nothing more than a free agent market. As I predicted, it's becoming a game of have's vs the have not's. Ultimately, the game of football would just be better served with a minor league of its own and abolishment of the college game as we know it. Sure, some programs could have a team for those who don't get drafted to play in the minors. It works for MLB, NHL, etc. The NFL is successful, and surely could find a way to make it work, then we can stop all this bickering about who deserves what and actually work off of profits and losses.

I understand Saban being upset if his players showed their ass after the loss but to bitch about players asking about playing time and NIL is ridiculous. Saban wasn’t coaching for free and he got rich by being able to insert players in the lineup whenever he wanted. Kids get 4 years to showcase their talent or just play. The days are over of kids being happy to work 4 years to maybe get that start your senior year.
I think the actual quotes from Saban in the in depth ESPN article are a much better account of how feels:

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."

Seems like he basically came to the conclusion that he has no issue with them making money but it's different than what he's used to and it was just time for him to move on.

Saban was the best but he didn’t do it without having a contract specifying his details and pay. How do you fault kids who want the same given the way college athletics has evolved?
It isn't a question of fault. The issue is just as Saban testified before Congress earlier today. The TV networks are playing his testimony. You can agree or disagree. I agree with Saban.

But Saban didn't begin his career getting 10+M a year. I don't know the number, but at a small school likely less than 10k a year. But that isn't how NIL is working. We both know it's being used to lure kids to certain schools. That is the issue I have with it. Once a kid shows what he can do and establishes his worth and gets paid that worth, good for him. That's how Saban got to 10m a year.

Kind of seems like he is throwing his former players under the bus. Comes off that he is blaming the kids for being selfish "me me me" non team guys rather than doing anything for a championship. That it is their fault, they chased him out.

Bet on the Bama w/l under for 2024. Bad vibes.

Kind of seems like he is throwing his former players under the bus. Comes off that he is blaming the kids for being selfish "me me me" non team guys rather than doing anything for a championship. That it is their fault, they chased him out.

Bet on the Bama w/l under for 2024. Bad vibes.

Saban testified truthfully about why he retired and I get it. He did not throw a single player under the bus.

I understand Saban being upset if his players showed their ass after the loss but to bitch about players asking about playing time and NIL is ridiculous.

Why? It's a pain in the ask that he didn't have to deal with just a few years ago. You'd be complaining about it if you were in his shoes, too.

Saban wasn’t coaching for free and he got rich by being able to insert players in the lineup whenever he wanted.

Lol..

Saban got rich by being a great coach at storied programs, recruiting well, putting the staff around him and his players in the best position to win, and putting in a sht ton of time that no one here fathoms. THAT is what put them in position to win titles. Florida and a few others recruited AS WELL on paper as Bama with nothing to show for it. That tells you Saban wasn't just handed anything, as you imply.

Kids get 4 years to showcase their talent or just play. The days are over of kids being happy to work 4 years to maybe get that start your senior year.

They aren't necessarily over. They may seem over, but the reality is that over the next few years a new hierarchy will settle itself in. There will, again, be haves and have nots. Not everyone will be just after the money when they realize there are other things that can mean as much or more, and some will see the value in that 3-4 year build-up to starting for a great program, just as they have in the past.

Sure, 100k or even 1M sounds good to go play somewhere for a year or two, but in the end, it's a team game. Who is around you is as important as what you bring to the table. Who coaches you, the attitudes, and the environment matter.

If a program can put you in the best, most informed position, and environment to succeed for YOU as an athlete, long term, and as a person afterward, that will still trump money for the right kids. Mac Jones went to Bama and waited his turn when he could have started here within a year and for 3 years in all likelihood. Linemen have done it all along.

The only difference between the "NIL" environment of now, and the way it was in the past is mobility. Players can transfer like coaches now. Has very little to do with NIL in most cases. Has more to do with fit, drive/motivation, and whether the player feels they can beat out the other players on the roster for a spot.

If a player thinks they won't make it to the league (and some staffs will tell them that plainly), then they will transfer to play elsewhere rather than sit, and take whatever they can get if they get anything additional at all just so they can play. If they are on a pro trajectory, NIL may matter, but hopping around can also do more harm than good to their resume. I think it will all shake out over the next few years.

A lot of players are going to realize the grass isn't always greener, even if there's more cash on the surface. Others will make it pay off no matter where they are.

Last edited:

That's SO weird! Are you telling me that an association or business actually brings in more money than the minimum they trade for their employees to serve? How horrible!

It seems we need a lesson on revenue vs profit and all things in between.

I know it may seem callous to most people without any financial background, but staffing, securing, maintaining, operating, and servicing a college football stadium each year (because it has to be done for a year, and not just magically on game days), plus all of the other necessary buildings and their associated utilities, staffing, maintenance, etc, plus travel, lodging, equipment, marketing, sports information, athletic training staff (and associated costs), coaching, compliance, etc, PLUS the other sports that are dependent on the revenue generating sports to exist... COSTS A SHT TON OF MONEY. That's without talking about upgrades to the same facilities AND leaving recruiting out of it completely.

Just a public service announcement is all. Carry on

Reactions: law1127

Exactly. Must be a young poster not to know about Ole Miss and Washington

Last edited:

Saban brought in more money to Alabama than he was paid, can we say that about our overpaid basket ball Coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT