ADVERTISEMENT

Need getaway recommendations

Catman100

Senior
Jan 3, 2003
Lexington, KY
Got 11 days to figure out where to take the Mrs. on a weekend getaway. Not flying.
Prefer about 3 hours drive from Lexington.

Appreciate any good ideas.
TIA

Don't know what you all like to do, but there's Nashville

I mean, if you're a glutton for punishment you can go to Gatlinburg

Asheville, NC is around 4 hours, lots of cool stuff to see there

My wife and I spent nice weekend at an airbnb in Cincy, a few blocks north of Findlay Market, right next to the Rheinegeist. The apartments were really nice.

The downtown trolley stops right outside every 20 or so minutes. Plenty of cool restaurants close by. The apartment building has a nice rooftop patio. Looks like it's less than a 100 a night right now. It was nice, because we could walk down to Findlay Market, get some groceries and cook a nice dinner.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/507316...earch_id=9bceefba-f081-40a6-8d64-610edd87c90a

Last edited:
Memphis... heard everyone there is killing it lately. Good people they just kill each other at a more reasonable rate.

The_Cabin_in_the_Woods_%282012%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

That movie rules. May watch it tonight
Smartest horror movie ever made? I think so.
But getting back to the OP, kinda hard to go wrong with Nashville. It's blown up recently and the prices reflect that. Still a great time there. It's a fun city just get parking somewhere early and close to the strip.

French Lick would be a more laid-back weekend especially in the winter. West Baden Springs Hotel is incredible.

Reactions: entropy13
Don't know what you all like to do, but there's Nashville

I mean, if you're a glutton for punishment you can go to Gatlinburg

Asheville, NC is around 4 hours, lots of cool stuff to see there

My wife and I spent nice weekend at an airbnb in Cincy, a few blocks north of Findlay Market, right next to the Rheinegeist. The apartments were really nice.

The downtown trolley stops right outside every 20 or so minutes. Plenty of cool restaurants close by. The apartment building has a nice rooftop patio. Looks like it's less than a 100 a night right now. It was nice, because we could walk down to Findlay Market, get some groceries and cook a nice dinner.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/507316...earch_id=9bceefba-f081-40a6-8d64-610edd87c90a
Cincy is a good place. We took our daughter up there for school and hung around the Findlay Market. Stopped in Newport for Haufbrau Haus. Great food. Cruise on up the highway past Cincy and hit Jungle Jims. It's a must do grocery store if there ever was. Glendale , Ohio is a good area. Laid back town with shops and plenty of air bnbs. You can walk the town. It's full of black squirrels. Old school charm.

Pine Mountain State Resort Park. Been meaning to do a return trip there for a few years now.

Reactions: chroix
French Lick would be a more laid-back weekend especially in the winter. West Baden Springs Hotel is incredible.

What is there to do at French lick besides gamble? Been wanting to check it out.

What is there to do at French lick besides gamble? Been wanting to check it out.
In the winter, not much. People go for the hotel experience. They have a world-class spa in the hotel that my wife loved. A water park for the kids. Dining is somewhat limited but they do have fine dining restaurants at both hotels. Also, the weekends draw a younger crowd at the bars and night club. Old farts like me visit during the week. A free shuttle service makes it easy too.

Much more to do when the weather warms up. The golf is very good with a Donald Ross and a Pete Dye championship course (green fees were something like 500 bucks a person) Patoka Lake is excellent for fishing and only a short drive. Horse back riding too. It's a great place for a weekend visit but I couldn't see spending more time than that.

p.s. The winery was a big disappointment. The vineyards are somewhere else in the state.

Last edited:
The Biltmore in Asheville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT