ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA NIL guidelines vs state law

TCurtis75

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
I posted this on the basketball board also but thought it actually might be more pertinent here. The NCAA has sent a memo to member institutions saying they must follow their guidelines even if they are in conflict with state law. I have no idea how this will play out but this looks like it could get messy especially since many of the state laws contain verbiage that prevents the NCAA from taking action against a university that follows their state laws.

Why does a state have claim to how someone received money as long as it is legal?

The NCAA def has no interest

The enacted laws are unconstitutional

Why does a state have claim to how someone received money as long as it is legal?

Thats not the issue. The issue is even if the college is complying with state law that they must follow NCAA rules above what is the law even if that law states the NCAA can't enforce their rules. The issue is the NCAA is saying their rules supersede state law.

Thats not the issue. The issue is even if the college is complying with state law that they must follow NCAA rules above what is the law even if that law states the NCAA can't enforce their rules. The issue is the NCAA is saying their rules supersede state law.
it would be interesting if it ever went to court

Reactions: hmt5000 and jauk11
There is no issue. The NCAA has NO jurisdictional power when it comes to state laws. University's most comply to state statutes. There is no ambiguity there. IMHO you will see the NCAA walk back any conflicting issues and look for federal help which could supersede State Law. The other option would be a break away from the NCAA and form Super Conferences with their own rules that comply with whatever laws that end up governing. It will be interesting to watch this play out over the years?

There is no issue. The NCAA has NO jurisdictional power when it comes to state laws. University's most comply to state statutes. There is no ambiguity there. IMHO you will see the NCAA walk back any conflicting issues and look for federal help which could supersede State Law. The other option would be a break away from the NCAA and form Super Conferences with their own rules that comply with whatever laws that end up governing. It will be interesting to watch this play out over the years?
I'm not an attorney, so this isn't based on any legal precedent. It's just my opinion. Unless State law can be viewed as protecting citizens rights from being violated by an organization, I don't see how the State can tell a private organization, that member's have voluntarily joined and collectively manage, what rules it can enforce. In the 50's when the NCAA made graduate students ineligible and cost us a chance at another national championship, or when they gave us the death penalty, why couldn't our state legislature enacted a law that said the NCAA can't do either of those things. I don't think States can do anything they want in terms of restricting private organizations from enacting and enforcing rules that their voluntary membership decides is appropriate. I have no idea what would happen, but I would love to see the NCAA ban a school from post season play for rules violations, from one of these states that included a provision saying the NCAA can't enforce its rules, and see what the State can actually do about it. If that State successfully stops the tournament, or playoffs, from being held until the matter is resolved, can you imagine the animosity from fans across the country toward that state and school. I don't think there would be much sympathy for a State that tried to use the legislature to gain competitive advantage for its school's sports programs.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Schools can do what they want to do but the NCAA can deem them not compliant and therefore those schools would not be able to play for championships. It’s spelled out in the On3 article. Very interesting article about NIL.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
As a former Kentucky Legislator I can tell you without a doubt that Universities in the State will follow any KRS that pertain to them. If the NCAA took a position that you must break state law the University would not comply. If the NCAA took steps to punish the Universities the Whole conference could/may resolve the issue by moving away from the NCAA. Can you imagine the SEC not involved in the football playoff? That will never happen. As stated earlier the NCAA will walk back any so called ambiguities' and that will end this particular matter. What may happen is Federal Legislation that will govern what is done (in the future)?

Reactions: hmt5000
Hahaha, some of you thinking the ncaa can and will enforce NIL rules need to check their recent court win/loss record. A Texas judge would love nothing better than to body slam the ncaa attempts to punish or stop Univ of Texas or Texas a&m NIL activities. Universities are direct parts of state government, that supercedes the national organization in Indianapolis.

They are going to do nothing. In 3 yrs of NIL the only "punishment" they have dealt out was a slap on the wrist to Miami women's bball over the hottie Cavendish twins.

As a former Kentucky Legislator I can tell you without a doubt that Universities in the State will follow any KRS that pertain to them. If the NCAA took a position that you must break state law the University would not comply. If the NCAA took steps to punish the Universities the Whole conference could/may resolve the issue by moving away from the NCAA. Can you imagine the SEC not involved in the football playoff? That will never happen. As stated earlier the NCAA will walk back any so called ambiguities' and that will end this particular matter. What may happen is Federal Legislation that will govern what is done (in the future)?
I may be wrong about this, but these State laws aren't directing State Universities to violate NCAA regulations. They are simply allowing for that activity and some are precluding the NCAA from enforcing those laws if the university violate those regulations. A university could abide by NCAA regulations and still be in compliance with State law. Or at least that's how i understand it.

We basically have some state legislatures, especially Texas, brazenly trying to write laws to give their home teams a leg up, and playing a game of chicken with an NCAA that’s largely been seen as toothless in recent years. I’m not a legal expert, but I don’t necessarily think this a slam dunk for the states though. The NCAA isn’t actually instructing anyone to break the law, just saying that just because certain types of NIL schemes are legal doesn’t mean that they will be allowed under NCAA rules. It isn’t at all unusual or generally considered illegal for private, voluntary organizations to have membership requirements and regulations more strict than members simply not being charged with a crime, so the states would have to have a compelling reason for making it illegal for such a group to enforce its internal rules. They may try to argue that any structure at all regarding NIL is a violation of the Alston ruling. However, despite some justices hinting in oral arguments that they may consider going further, that ruling was actually in itself fairly narrow and specifically preserved the NCAA’s right to regulate “non-education related benefits”.

There’s also a non-zero chance that the more permissive states totally winning on the issue could create a direct enough line in payments between the athletic departments and the players that it opens the door to claims that the players are employees and entitled to the protections thereof, which is something the schools desperately want to avoid. I can’t predict how it would all turn out, but we could end up with a real mess before things get sorted out if both sides stick to their guns on this.

Reactions: cat_in_the_hat
If a voluntary organization told its members they must drive 85 mph but the Federal/State is 70mph by statue, which one would be enforced in court. If the NCAA has rules (Voluntary or not) if it's in contrast with State Statutes the court will affirm the states right to regulate its public institution's it funds! That has been adjudicated to death. It's all moot anyway. The NCAA is not going to get in a shouting match over this with all its member institutions. In the end this will be determined either by federal legislation or a consensus among the University Presidents etc...

If a voluntary organization told its members they must drive 85 mph but the Federal/State is 70mph by statue, which one would be enforced in court. If the NCAA has rules (Voluntary or not) if it's in contrast with State Statutes the court will affirm the states right to regulate its public institution's it funds! That has been adjudicated to death. It's all moot anyway. The NCAA is not going to get in a shouting match over this with all its member institutions. In the end this will be determined either by federal legislation or a consensus among the University Presidents etc...
Your example is not what is happening though. The NCAA isn't directing members to violate State law. If the members adhere to NCAA rules, they aren't in violation of State law. State law just allows them to violate NCAA rules if they so choose. It doesn't direct them to form collectives, to have the school involved in NIL deals, etc. It just says if they do those things the NCAA can't punish them. Those laws clearly aren't protecting the rights of athletes. They are simply to gain advantage.

As I stated earlier it's a moot point. This will eventually be addressed by Federal Legislation or a consensus of University Presidents etc... It really makes no difference what we say or think. Not worth arguing about.

As I stated earlier it's a moot point. This will eventually be addressed by Federal Legislation or a consensus of University Presidents etc... It really makes no difference what we say or think. Not worth arguing about.
I agree with you. It needs to happen quickly though because it's a mess right now.

Your analogy is still backwards.

Reactions: satcheluk
The NCAA lacks the means and the ability to stop nil. No way they're risking their existence any further by pushing this issue.

The state law in Kentucky is completely unnecessary and is almost surely unconstitutional. It places limits on adults' ability to contract that are based solely on morality (ie alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc).

The feds will no doubt enact an equally unnecessary, convoluted, and heavy handed law right when the nil market is naturally correcting itself. Congress, especially us Congress, never passes up an opportunity to grandstand.

The NCAA is a voluntary organization in which member schools agree to follow the prescribed rules and delegate enforcement of said rules. The NCAA cannot prevent individual athletes from earning, but they can absolutely regulate how the schools participate. If the schools don’t like the rules, then they are free to disassociate from the NCAA. Private membership organizations can have rules that conflict with state/federal law. For example, private country clubs can discriminate which would be illegal for any open to the public business. If I sued my country club (or any other voluntary organization) the judge would likely tell me, if you don’t like the rules, find another club with rules that you do like.

There is no issue. The NCAA has NO jurisdictional power when it comes to state laws.
That's correct but the flip side of that is the NCAA can require member schools to comply or be expelled from the league. Of course we know how weak the NCAA usually is but if push came to shove I would think legislations would work magic to make sure they were in compliance.

The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Schools can do what they want to do but the NCAA can deem them not compliant and therefore those schools would not be able to play for championships. It’s spelled out in the On3 article. Very interesting article about NIL.

NCAA doesn't have a D1 football national championship.

NCAA doesn't have a D1 football national championship.
And football seems to be doing just fine without one.
We basically have some state legislatures, especially Texas, brazenly trying to write laws to give their home teams a leg up, and playing a game of chicken with an NCAA that’s largely been seen as toothless in recent years. I’m not a legal expert, but I don’t necessarily think this a slam dunk for the states though. The NCAA isn’t actually instructing anyone to break the law, just saying that just because certain types of NIL schemes are legal doesn’t mean that they will be allowed under NCAA rules. It isn’t at all unusual or generally considered illegal for private, voluntary organizations to have membership requirements and regulations more strict than members simply not being charged with a crime, so the states would have to have a compelling reason for making it illegal for such a group to enforce its internal rules. They may try to argue that any structure at all regarding NIL is a violation of the Alston ruling. However, despite some justices hinting in oral arguments that they may consider going further, that ruling was actually in itself fairly narrow and specifically preserved the NCAA’s right to regulate “non-education related benefits”.

There’s also a non-zero chance that the more permissive states totally winning on the issue could create a direct enough line in payments between the athletic departments and the players that it opens the door to claims that the players are employees and entitled to the protections thereof, which is something the schools desperately want to avoid. I can’t predict how it would all turn out, but we could end up with a real mess before things get sorted out if both sides stick to their guns on this.
If a Texas school wants to claim a NC by beating 'Cumberland College or whoever the NCAA lets them play then let them.

The UK team that went undefeated with three All Americans (that were not guilty of shaving points, let alone losing a game on purpose) with their closest game an 8-point win and a ten-point win over the eventual NC wasn't able to claim a NC. I would guess that the few dollars that Bill Spivey made for shaving points was miniscule compared to what he should have made in the NBA. He was the first seven-footer that could walk and chew gum at the same time.

LOL. Unconstitutional law.... Phew. 80% of our laws would be considered unconstitutional prior to 1913.

I could very easily. I was touching on it in another thread but I could see P5 minus maybe the weakened PAC forming their own association and keeping all the money. The ncaa is a dinosaur that has refused to change with what everyone knew was coming for the last 20 years. It deserves to sit in a museum with dinosaurs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT