ADVERTISEMENT

My take

wfm101981

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2018
With cal gone he will rinse and repeat at arky.. get 5 star freshman and good transfer players but can't coach a freaking lick... for us.. we may have a down here as a transition but at least pope has an offensive mind. He will have more talent than he had a byu and not for nothing but their first season in the big 12 they held their own. Yes.. they lost in the first rd of the tourney but it's the tourney... it's one n done... he's getting good transfers coming in... they all seem to be hard nosed players he's getting but we do need an alpha scorer.. I like what pipe us doing so far.. and maybe a bit biased since he did play on the 96 team but he WANTED to be here.. that means a ton. We will be fine. He couldn't recruit many 5 stars for obvious reasons since he got a late start. What ever happens this upcoming season.. I'd be happy with a contending ball club. If he contends this upcoming season then we have something good. Just my drunk 2 senses.. I'm off Tuesday and Wednesday so tonight was my Friday lol. I drive a bus for the mta in NYC =) UK fan for or almost 30 years. I'm sure I'll get some good replys.. and well.. some not so good lol. Fire away.

I firmly believe that Cal will have a strong year at ARKY, and the media pundits will go on and on about how a fresh start has re-invigorated his career.

But at the same time, I think that UK has a strong year, and it makes for a nice story when we clash with the piggies.

Eventually, however, I know that Cal will return to his old ways.

With cal gone he will rinse and repeat at arky.. get 5 star freshman and good transfer players but can't coach a freaking lick... for us.. we may have a down here as a transition but at least pope has an offensive mind. He will have more talent than he had a byu and not for nothing but their first season in the big 12 they held their own. Yes.. they lost in the first rd of the tourney but it's the tourney... it's one n done... he's getting good transfers coming in... they all seem to be hard nosed players he's getting but we do need an alpha scorer.. I like what pipe us doing so far.. and maybe a bit biased since he did play on the 96 team but he WANTED to be here.. that means a ton. We will be fine. He couldn't recruit many 5 stars for obvious reasons since he got a late start. What ever happens this upcoming season.. I'd be happy with a contending ball club. If he contends this upcoming season then we have something good. Just my drunk 2 senses.. I'm off Tuesday and Wednesday so tonight was my Friday lol. I drive a bus for the mta in NYC =) UK fan for or almost 30 years. I'm sure I'll get some good replys.. and well.. some not so good lol. Fire away.
Hubby and I flew into LGA when we were going to Connecticut. New Yorkers are a different breed :)

What do you expect UK to contend for in Pope's first season?

I firmly believe that Cal will have a strong year at ARKY, and the media pundits will go on and on about how a fresh start has re-invigorated his career.

But at the same time, I think that UK has a strong year, and it makes for a nice story when we clash with the piggies.

Eventually, however, I know that Cal will return to his old ways.
I've told my family/friends: regardless of what he does this year, it will be the best year he ever produces at Arky. Circumstances have forced his hand to field an older team this year; next year will be a return to bringing in 6 or 8 freshmen each year to compete against grown men, at which point he'll be right where he left off at UK...struggling to win a tournament game of any kind, much less making a deep run

He left a few weeks ago after being the coach 15 years here. Of course people are going to talk about him for a while. Not sure why many here seem to think that is verboten.
They absolutely understand it. It's just something to complain about. It's their way of saying they have a superior intellect and dwelling on the past is beneath them. It's literally a fresh and current situation involving a 15 year lightning rod former Kentucky coach. ...but it's not a topic for discussion.

Maybe if people want to start a Cal thread they should hop on over to the Arky board and have at it…I don’t know how many more times I can read literally the same post over and over by folks who think they have an original thought.

Reactions: JDHoss
I think Cal will have a good run at Arkansas...unfortunately.

I hope not, but I think he'll be on a mission to prove critics wrong. His ego is battered.

As long as he doesn't make a Final Four, and we beat him more times than not, I can stomach a degree of success. I think.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
He left a few weeks ago after being the coach 15 years here. Of course people are going to talk about him for a while. Not sure why many here seem to think that is verboten.
This… I became a cats fan 4 years ago when my kid started at UK… she just graduated and Cal leaving is the closest we’ve come to winning any kind of championship as fans so we’re still gonna celebrate a little 😀

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Maybe if people want to start a Cal thread they should hop on over to the Arky board and have at it…I don’t know how many more times I can read literally the same post over and over by folks who think they have an original thought.
I don't like the repetitive posts, but it's one's choice to post their likes and dislikes.
It's my choice to read or not read .

To be honest, I don't think we will have a down year, compared to if we Still had Cal. If Cal had returned the cats would have won 19 to 23 games, lost between 9 to 12 games, lost in the SEC and 50/50 shot of losing in the first round. Think Pope has enough talent to play his system and win 20 plus games, I am willing to bet he wins a couple of games in the SEC and I bet he gets the Cats to at least the second weekend in the NCAA.

Reactions: Fox2monk
You should start a paid subscription service on discord for info like this.

I agree and think this is pretty natural. People are enjoying the honeymoon and realizing the things they didn’t like for several years are gone. Pope’s offseason alone will be exciting. With Cal you had all 5 stars and you tried to figure out who of those was really a top notch talent. Pope’s recruiting is still a mystery to most as to what catches his eye or how the pieces fit. It’s just different and hard to compare without mentioning Cal.

Cal is the needle… apparently. Ive never seen a group of people that wanted someone gone that they can’t let go like this before in my life.
Doug... I never said one thing about cal in the past other than I wish he would press sometimes (defense wise)

Hubby and I flew into LGA when we were going to Connecticut. New Yorkers are a different breed :)

What do you expect UK to contend for in Pope's first season?
I said content like be competitive and have a decent season. I don't expect anywhere close to a title and would be happy seeing progress thru the season.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Cal is the needle… apparently. Ive never seen a group of people that wanted someone gone that they can’t let go like this before in my life.
I’ve never seen one group of fans that monitors another’s board like Arkansas has ours the last 3 weeks. We are all very happy that Cal is gone. He will be talked about, he stayed in the SEC and we play him. But make no mistake, we were tired of losing with superior talent. Just wait and see.

I hope not, but I think he'll be on a mission to prove critics wrong. His ego is battered.

As long as he doesn't make a Final Four, and we beat him more times than not, I can stomach a degree of success. I think.
He’s not going to learn how to coach all the sudden, his staff is the same minus his best hire. He has Brad running the offense lmfao.

Last edited:

Not happening!!!! At the end of the day cal is still a shitty basketball coach, his teams are moderately successful despite him. Maybe he reads coaching for dummies and learns a few new tricks but cal is who he is and for that I’m thankful he is no longer here.

To be honest, I don't think we will have a down year, compared to if we Still had Cal. If Cal had returned the cats would have won 19 to 23 games, lost between 9 to 12 games, lost in the SEC and 50/50 shot of losing in the first round. Think Pope has enough talent to play his system and win 20 plus games, I am willing to bet he wins a couple of games in the SEC and I bet he gets the Cats to at least the second weekend in the NCAA.
Inspiring.

I do not think it is anything but the old Beetlejuice (sp) thing. Say his name enough and he comes back. 😆

I'm all in on pope and his coaches. If this season we go .500 I'll still have the same support. The only time I'll waiver is if he repeats the same mantra as the prior coach, which is to be so cocky as to not recognize the changes needed to succeed at the highest level. Pope will now start getting higher level talent in much higher quantity, so this will be an adjustment already. I'm looking forward to this ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT