ADVERTISEMENT

My personal sports viewership/interest

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
For about the 5th year in a row, I didn't realize it was Derby Day until after the race was over. So, it got me to thinking.

Growing up, I watched a LOT of sports on TV (where there were only 3 main stations!).

A lot of CFB. A lot of CBB. A lot of NFL. Plenty of MLB. Plenty of NBA. At the very least, Wimbledon and US Open tennis. All the major golf tournaments and several of the next tier tourneys, at least on Sunday. The Triple Crown races every year.

Now, you can hardly find tennis on TV anymore so I don't watch it (I don't have cable/streaming TV except during CFB season). I hardly watch any golf anymore unless the weather is bad outside, it's a big tournament and it's Sunday. Never turn on MLB game and only very rarely check the scores. Never turn on the NBA. Watch maybe a total of 3 UK BB games a year but that's bits and pieces of however many are on network TV. I do look at UK's scores, boxscore, etc. so I at least keep up with the team to some degree. I watch some NFL after the CFB season is over and tend to keep up with it (I live in Denver so it's hard not to do so as it's all over sports radio 24/7/365 here). But, I haven't watched all of the playoff games in several years. I've watched most of the conf championship games and most of the SB every year.

I still watch a lot of CFB. But, if UK is not any good, my enthusiasm wanes about November and then picks up for the big bowl games and playoff games. Since UK has been pretty good the past few years, I don't lose enthusiasm as much. The days of me watching the vast majority of 3 or 4 games on a Saturday are long gone, though. Even if it's Rivalry Weekend and I could watch a bunch of big rivalry games one after another.

I don't believe it's because I'm so much busier, either. It's not like I don't watch as much because I'm working or I'm with family or doing things around the house. It's because I simply am not as interested.

I'm sure many on this board have experienced the same thing. Is it just getting older (I'll be 58 in a month) or the overexposure of sports or the sport themselves aren't as good or what? I'd much rather find something on Netflix or read a book on a Tuesday night than watch the NBA or MLB. The same couldn't be said several years ago (I know Netflix hasn't been that widespread for a while but other entertainment choices).

Reactions: P19978
I have a lot of sports on the TV. Most of the time it is just background noise to whatever I'm doing on the iPad. I give a few cursory glances up every few minutes to show the wife I'm watching.

NFL, MLB, NASCAR, college FB and BB of course, some golf, NBA occasionally until I'm all-in for the Playoffs. I'll watch tennis major finals too.

I watch a whole buncha CFB, CBB, and NFL.

NBA on occasion and quite a bit during the playoffs.

Growing up I loved baseball but I rarely watch it nowadays.

I can't get into watching golf, NASCAR, hockey, or tennis at all.

I watch the hell out of the summer Olympics every 4 years.

Bowling is the one less popular sports that I enjoy watching if I happen to see it on.

I'd probably rank it this way:
  1. Kentucky Football
  2. Kentucky Basketball
  3. NFL Playoffs / Super Bowl
  4. College Football Playoffs
  5. Masters
  6. Atlanta Braves if they are in the Playoffs
  7. Regular Season College Football
  8. Regular Season NFL
  9. Remaining Golf Majors
  10. March Madness (sucks how far that's fallen)
  11. NBA Finals
  12. Regular Season Atlanta Braves
  13. Tennis if it's between Samprass and Agassi (so never)
And I didn't watch any of March Madness except the Final Four, but I did watch all the Braves playoffs games last year.

Pretty much any football. I hope D2 stays in the spring like they did this year.

Golf.

Horse racing.

Washington Capitals games and the NHL playoffs.

UK basketball but while I agree with the new transfer rule, it will probably even pretty much put an end to that. Cal and his 58% of players already leaving after 1 year has already put a pretty big dent in my fandom and it's only going to get worse.

I enjoy women's softball but I don't watch much of it.

I enjoyed watching the volleyball so I may give that a chance again next year but it will probably depend on UK being good.

Used to love baseball but the 94 strike and especially their attempt to get fans back by turning games into home run derbies ruined that. I haven't watched a game this century.

Mostly you are getting older I too have a whole lot less interest in sports in general than I once did. My list would be different than yours, but in general watch a whole lot less than I did 20 or 30 years ago

I watch every UK basketball game live. I only watch a handful of other sporting events live, like the Super Bowl, and various championship games.

I DVR every available rugby match, UFC event, and UK volleyball match, and watch those at my leisure.

I have no interest in baseball, NBA, soccer, hockey, golf or tennis.

Last edited:
CFB - every UK game and usually at least one other good game per Saturday (if I'm not out of the house/busy) while I'm doing other stuff around the house. If I can't catch the UK game live I'll DVR and watch later.

NFL - watch NFL RedZone most Sundays if I'm not busy. I'm a 49ers fan so catching their games is rare over here.

CBB - I'd say I catch about 80% of the UK basketball games but rarely watch any other CBB games. If I can't catch the UK game live I'll check the score on my phone later. Will watch as much March Madness as I can.

NBA - never. Couldn't tell you the last full NBA game I watched.

MLB - I will watch at least 2 full Braves games a week. Usually on in the background but I keep up with them pretty steadily. If I can't watch a game I will keep up with scores during the game if I can.

NHL - playoffs only.

Golf - major tournaments only

Tennis - never

Soccer - Olympics or World Cup

Nascar - never

I watch the majority of UK b-ball games and try to catch as many UK football games as possible. I never really grew up with a pro sports team, but I moved outside Denver several years back so try to keep up with the Broncos, Nugs, and Avs a bit. But it will always be UK > any other sport team.

CFB, EPL soccer, NASCAR, softball, a little golf. When MLB moves all-star back to ATL, I'll watch it some. That's about it. Little bit MLS. Watched about half of Super Bowl - more NFL than all season. Couldn't tell you who is on one & done CBB roster. How anyone watches F1 racing escapes me. Once the first turn is reached, it's over.

Great British Baking Show competition is pretty good & funny.

CBB, NFL, CFB for me. But with my kids playing sports and travel I am usually burnt out in the spring/summer from MLB or even the NBA. I may watch the playoffs. I usually don't watch much tv in the summer.

For about the 5th year in a row, I didn't realize it was Derby Day until after the race was over. So, it got me to thinking.

Growing up, I watched a LOT of sports on TV (where there were only 3 main stations!).

A lot of CFB. A lot of CBB. A lot of NFL. Plenty of MLB. Plenty of NBA. At the very least, Wimbledon and US Open tennis. All the major golf tournaments and several of the next tier tourneys, at least on Sunday. The Triple Crown races every year.

Now, you can hardly find tennis on TV anymore so I don't watch it (I don't have cable/streaming TV except during CFB season). I hardly watch any golf anymore unless the weather is bad outside, it's a big tournament and it's Sunday. Never turn on MLB game and only very rarely check the scores. Never turn on the NBA. Watch maybe a total of 3 UK BB games a year but that's bits and pieces of however many are on network TV. I do look at UK's scores, boxscore, etc. so I at least keep up with the team to some degree. I watch some NFL after the CFB season is over and tend to keep up with it (I live in Denver so it's hard not to do so as it's all over sports radio 24/7/365 here). But, I haven't watched all of the playoff games in several years. I've watched most of the conf championship games and most of the SB every year.

I still watch a lot of CFB. But, if UK is not any good, my enthusiasm wanes about November and then picks up for the big bowl games and playoff games. Since UK has been pretty good the past few years, I don't lose enthusiasm as much. The days of me watching the vast majority of 3 or 4 games on a Saturday are long gone, though. Even if it's Rivalry Weekend and I could watch a bunch of big rivalry games one after another.

I don't believe it's because I'm so much busier, either. It's not like I don't watch as much because I'm working or I'm with family or doing things around the house. It's because I simply am not as interested.

I'm sure many on this board have experienced the same thing. Is it just getting older (I'll be 58 in a month) or the overexposure of sports or the sport themselves aren't as good or what? I'd much rather find something on Netflix or read a book on a Tuesday night than watch the NBA or MLB. The same couldn't be said several years ago (I know Netflix hasn't been that widespread for a while but other entertainment choices).
Amen!

I just turned 58 on Friday BTW.

To your point, all my life I was an avid NBA fan in addition to my UK fandom. I haven't watched a single NBA game all season. My wife and I got hooked on The Acorn Channel (primarily British murder mysteries) on Amazon Prime... don't miss the NBA at all.

I bought a motorcycle to fill my time... and, I started playing more live music gigs (who in their right mind plays MORE in a pandemic lol?... but we actually found plenty of places to play).

Sports are still fun (I play bball 3 nites per week) but, PRO SPORTS... I just don't care anymore.

Edit: I started reading books again too: Amazon Prime has LOADS of good books for FREE (I just finished the Chesty Puller bio).

The Masters is my most loved sporting event. I watch every round and am absorbed by the coverage. I watch a lot of golf.

NCAA tournament - my interest in college basketball has waned severely since UNC got off scott free from their massive cheating scandal and Duke continues to cheat with abandon. Cal would have 2-3 more titles if we got anywhere near the kind of whistle Duke does. Watching our undefeated team get totally screwed pretty much knocked the fanatic out of my college basketball. Just seems pointless to worship something so obviously rigged and full of Duke and North Carolinas cheating while everyone else just sits there and takes it. I will never understand why all colleges don't say this crap ends or we walk and form our own organization.

Pro/college Football - watch all the big games. Always watch the Steelers/Ravens games as they try to kill each other. My team unfortunately is the Bengals and watching Burrow get beat down is too much to take as he was the best QB prospect I've ever seen in college. For college I watch all the UK games and also most of the big SEC games and of course the playoffs.

MMA/UFC - was a big fan in the 90s when it first started. Fedor was my favorite of all time. Too much room now with too much running and also the best fights are not being made for awhile now. Hardly watch it anymore and very rarely buy a fight anymore. Need to shrink the cage to force the action more.

Grew up a Reds fan. Played baseball in the snow. Wore #13 in little league. Marge Schott killed my interest. I still watch the playoffs and for sure the World Series, but I rarely watch more than a couple regular season games.

Nothing else really. If a high profile tennis match comes up I will watch it but I kind of stopped watching tennis about 20 years ago for the most part.

I have never watched a soccer or hockey game in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: P19978 and parrott
I've started to enjoy different sports in the last few years. I've enjoyed the variety of the SEC network and have even checked out some of the ACC network, but ESPN can shove those cornhole tournaments up their cornhole.
Funny you mention that as I found myself watching a cornhole tournament yesterday (I forget which channel as I have them all) and actually got caught up in it for awhile.

It’s likely aging and more entertainment options. I don’t watch as many sports as I used to either.

My list as follows:
1. NFL football - try to watch every game I can. Bengals fan. Ouch.
2. College football - UK first, but generally watch from 12 to 12 every Saturday unless some life event comes up
3. College basketball - Used to be my favorite. Last year I hardly watched due to UK being garbage. The quality of play, rock fights, and terrible officiating has been a problem for years.
4. NBA - rarely in the regular season. Watch quite a bit of the playoffs.
5. MLB - Reds fan. Yay. Don’t watch a lot on TV. Keep up with the team on my phone.

Don’t watch any soccer, hockey, golf, tennis or racing. Occasionally watch boxing and MMA.

Other than UK teams playing, there’s nothing much better than the nighttime college FB game on ABC. Doesn’t even matter who’s playing.

Never miss a UK football game, but other than that, watch maybe 33% of what I once did and would not watch half of that if not for DVR. Big college games starting after 8 PM are always a DVR, watch the first half, then get up and speed through the 2nd half while drinking coffee.

Attend almost all of UK home games. DVR most of the big golf tournaments, not just the majors, but I do follow the majors and Ryder Cup closely.

Watch an occasional Reds or Bengals game, but usually just keep up with them on internet or online newspaper.

And that is about it.

I never saw Kobe Bryant ever play a single game, have yet to see Lebron James play a game either. Never watch soccer unless it is the World Cup. College basketball I may watch a few NCAA tournament games . . . or may not, depends on what else there is to do.

Currently it's....

* College football - From the midweek MACtion games to the late Saturday night west coast games. It's my favorite sport. I'd probably be embarrassed if I knew how much time I've invested in watching CFB over the years.

* NFL - Including TNF, SNF & MNF, I'll usually catch 4+ games a week.

* NBA - Will catch 2-3 games a week. When the playoffs start, I watch all that I can, and this year the playoffs should be wild.

* College basketball - Watch all of the UK and ETSU games I can, love the low and mid-major tournaments during championship week, and the NCAAT, but if it weren't for the Cats and Bucs, my interest in college basketball would hover slightly above zero.

* MLB - Been a lifelong Braves fan and will try to catch a game or two a week. Sometimes I'll watch the ESPN Sunday night game if it's an interesting matchup.

* NASCAR - Used to watch a lot, but the cookie cutter cars, cookie cutter track and absence of drivers with big personalities has caused me to lose almost all interest. I'd much rather watch the World of Outlaws and Lucas Oil series on the dirt tracks.

* Horse racing/NHL/soccer/tennis/golf or anything else really doesn't move the needle for me.

I didn't list the Olympics because they're not a regular thing, but love watching both summer & winter.

Becoming huge fan of Formula 1. Races non stop 90 minutes during sunday morning breakfast. The tech of the cars and the quality of it broadcast are unmatched. Then have rest of the day to do real stuff.

Oh you didn’t know why the other posters quit watching sports in a year where there was less to do than there has been in my lifetime? Gtfo of here with that.
Sorry but not everyone and everything is political. I've quit watching a lot of sports because they don't capture me like they used to. I ignore athletes and celebrity political views. You probably should, too.

Reactions: Tskware
Sorry but not everyone and everything is political. I've quit watching a lot of sports because they don't capture me like they used to. I ignore athletes and celebrity political views. You probably should, too.
Pretty sure that’s what I already said I do, but thanks for the advice captain. ✌🏻

Just had this conversation with some friends the other day. My viewership AND interest are WAY down.

Still watch all UK basketball and most football games. Have actually started watching UK women's basketball, volleyball and softball and some UK baseball much more frequently than i used to. I don't necessarily hunt down games, but if they are on, i'll keep them on.

I actually watch more NBA than I used to just because it is my favorite sport and it takes some of the time I used to watch other sports. I don't watch much non-sports TV, either, so I've got sports playing in the background, when I'm doing other things. Also watch a good bit of college football.

On the other hand, my viewership and interest have dropped off a cliff for MLB, NFL and NHL. Even if I didn't pay ANY attention to a sport/event/whatever (Nascar, soccer and a few others) I used to know pretty much everything that was going in them just from reading the paper, watch sports shows, the internet, etc. I used watch and read so much sports i would finish top 10 in BW3s or Friday's sports trivia nights (not saying it's a big accomplishment, but just pointing out you need to pay attention to a lot of sports to do it). Now, I couldn't care less and probably couldn't crack the top 100,000.

I haven't watched more than a half-inning of baseball at one time since Griffey was going for 500 and that was only because I loved Griffey. Hadn't watched much before that since the strike in the mid-90s. Haven't watched any playoff games or World Series in 20+yrs, either. Don't ever checkbox scores or even watch baseball highlight shows.

NFL. If it is on, i'll watch because i don't watch much of anything not sports, so if the TV is on, it's usually sports. Haven't watched a full super bowl or even cared to watch it in at least a decade.

I used to watch hockey, but i barely even know where to find it anymore. I wouldn't even know it was on if it wasn't in the YouTubeTV guide as i scrolled by whatever game was on.

I've never been a huge golf or tennis fan (used to love it back in the 80s/90s and really enjoyed following Federer), but I would always at least pay attention to the majors and other higher profile events in both. Still do to some extent. I pay a bit more attention to golf now because to of my friends are golf fanatics and it's more of they watch/talk about it.

Used to watch all the UFC PPVs and the free Fight Nights.

If i was to rate my viewership/interest level, i'd say...

1. UK/college basketball--2T. UK/college football-2T. NBA------------4. Other periphery UK sports----------5. Golf/Tennis-----------------------6. NFL - if it's on-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------7. UFC (watch PPVs at a friend's house a couple times a year) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (would never really get to the other sports the interest is so low)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT