ADVERTISEMENT

My observations FWIW.

trueblujr2

All-American
Dec 14, 2005
I tried to stay away from here for a couple of days, but here are my observations from my seat at Roosters where i suffered through the game.

Jager Burton cost us any chance of keeping that game close and building any momentum early.

First Drive. Davis was Running off nice chunks of yardage, runs of 11, 8 and 7 yards. The last one would have had us 2nd & 3 in UGA territory. We were moving the ball effectively. then the Holding Penalty and all of a sudden the drive is killed. 2nd & 3 becomes 1st & 19 and we can't recover.

Georgia goes on to score again

Second Drive. Davis for 3 yards then a 36 yard bomb to Key. (was nice to see him make a confidence gaining catch like that) Boom, we're in UGA territory once again, things still clicking, another 7 yard completion to Brown, then THUD. Another #$%&^%# Holding penalty. and yet again, 2nd & 3 at the UGA 29 becomes 2nd & 18 at the UGA 44. Another drive killer, took us out of FG range even.

Our third Drive resulted in a TD, but by then the wheels were off and UGA had a commanding lead.

Point being, we were moving the ball effectively in the first half but two costly penalties obliterated our chances at matching them score for score early and giving the defense something to play for. I'm not saying we could have won, UGA was rolling, but those two drive killing penalties early cost us any chance at making it a competitive game.

You just can’t stay back and let UGA complete their first 12 passes either!

At some point our fans have to let go of this because it just isn't true. If our safeties actually stayed back like fans think, that first half looks way different. Instead it was time and again safeties flying up field on PA leaving their man or their zone wise open. Easy peasy completions down the field and massive RAC. (That doesn't count the other worldly TD catch by the wr who went way upstairs and still got a foot in. That was cover 0 and hairston has good coverage; it was just a crazy good play).

Watching TV life, our safeties came up so hard I actually thought we were run blitzing. I couldn't figure out why White kept sending guys while they were killing us over the top. Nope. Safeties were just biting that hard, putting their team at a massive disadvantage.

So not only were we not playing soft, it was rogue secondary players (mainly childress) playing too aggressive that cost us.

Our DB’s being confused and out of position for most of the night was almost as bad as the penalties. Childress made NUMEROUS errors. Harriston wasn’t much better. The Play-Action killed us. We bit on every one of them.

Jager has got to play cleaner. He is way too talented to make the mistakes we have seen for most of the games sans UF. We need him to play within himself.

Leary is the biggest problem going forward. If he can’t make the throws to open receivers, we aren’t going to win many more games. The teams we play from this point forward can score points(except maybe MSU), so our ability to throw the ball becomes even MORE important.

Hope the coaches and players can get it fixed because the table is set for us to STILL have a big year!!

Last edited:
Allowing UGA to score 13 points in the final 5 1/2 minutes of the first half ruined any shot we had of making it a game.
If CMS was paid on his coaching performance in the final 4-6 minutes of each half for his entire career, he would be making minimum wage and looking for his EBT card.

Reactions: crestcat and K86
If CMS was paid on his coaching performance in the final 4-6 minutes of each half for his entire career, he would be making minimum wage and looking for his EBT card.
Some of it is play calling and some of it is the execution by the players. Either way it has been a weakness for sure.

Reactions: cathouse
Our DB’s being confused and out of position for most of the night was almost as bad as the penalties. Childress made NUMEROUS errors. Harriston wasn’t much better. The Play-Action killed us. We bit on every one of them.

Jager has got to play cleaner. He is way too talented to make the mistakes we have seen for most of the games sans UF. We need him to do lay within himself.

Leary is the biggest problem going forward. If he can’t make the throws to open receivers, we aren’t going to win many more games. The teams we play from this point forward can score points(except maybe MSU), so our ability to throw the ball becomes even MORE important.

Hope the coaches and players can get it fixed because the table is set for us to STILL have a big year!!
Agree. Coaches and Leary getting it fixed is the key and yes, we could still have a great year. All remaining games are going to be a challenge unless the fixes are good enough.

Reactions: catben
I tried to stay away from here for a couple of days, but here are my observations from my seat at Roosters where i suffered through the game.

Jager Burton cost us any chance of keeping that game close and building any momentum early.

First Drive. Davis was Running off nice chunks of yardage, runs of 11, 8 and 7 yards. The last one would have had us 2nd & 3 in UGA territory. We were moving the ball effectively. then the Holding Penalty and all of a sudden the drive is killed. 2nd & 3 becomes 1st & 19 and we can't recover.

Georgia goes on to score again

Second Drive. Davis for 3 yards then a 36 yard bomb to Key. (was nice to see him make a confidence gaining catch like that) Boom, we're in UGA territory once again, things still clicking, another 7 yard completion to Brown, then THUD. Another #$%&^%# Holding penalty. and yet again, 2nd & 3 at the UGA 29 becomes 2nd & 18 at the UGA 44. Another drive killer, took us out of FG range even.

Our third Drive resulted in a TD, but by then the wheels were off and UGA had a commanding lead.

Point being, we were moving the ball effectively in the first half but two costly penalties obliterated our chances at matching them score for score early and giving the defense something to play for. I'm not saying we could have won, UGA was rolling, but those two drive killing penalties early cost us any chance at making it a competitive game.
I'm surprised you didn't mention the personal foul against Burton during the second drive. If you have the replay, they showed it at the 2:22 mark of Q1. IMO, there is absolutely no excuse for that un-sportsman like play. I'd have removed him from the game based on that alone.

Here are my thoughts....

1. I was extremely worried going in about losing the energy battle. Football is sport of physicality and nothing matters more than who wins the energy level in any given game. We won that easy in the UF game and it overwhelmed them and UGA did the same to us. There was just way too much pre game talk fueling UGA to have that energy over us and prove who they were. I hated all the pregame talk puffing us up and questioning them.

2. Mike Bobo flat out schemed Coach White on this one. Love Coach but the one thing I think we get away with at times is playing too much zone D. Bobo opened up passing every down short in between the gaps in the zone and used play fakes to get us off balance and create space for the short throws. Combine that with no pass rush and big time execution from the UGA offense and it was a disaster. Good QB's and coordinators can expose our soft zones sometimes. The used cluster routes to confuse us too, running multiple guys in one area so that we didnt know who to go with. Just takes one minute of indecision to create space to make easy 10 yard tosses.

3. I think Leary has to be more of a playmaker making plays outside the designed call, scrambling outside the pocket, taking off every once in a while to keep the LBs and secondary honest etc. If you're just going to play it straight by the book dropping back in the pocket then you better be a high efficiency making the right reads and completing a high percentage. Thats a hard way to play and in todays game you have to be able to make plays ala Mahomes sometimes to keep drives alive and score.

Reactions: grevey35 and catben
Worst 5-1 coach ever?
Over the last 6 minutes of each half????
Definitely the worst I have seen at a D1 program.
Nice effort in trying to deflect from the post, though..
Like Stopps himself said. You have to look in the mirror and own it.

He needs to own his pitiful clock management and refusal to attack whether on offense or defense, regardless of the opponent or the score, in the last 4-6 minutes of the half.
It has cost us several games and always loses any momentum while allowing the other team to score going into halftime.

Reactions: crestcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT