ADVERTISEMENT

My hopes for this year

ColonelCat

Junior
Jan 8, 2003
Is that we are competitive, beat Duke, UT-twice, beat Auburn. ARKANSAS, Louisville and whoever is in the NIL tournament. Don't stumble to a UNC Wilmington type and go to at least round of 16 in thre NCAAs. Big order but same expectations we had for CAL each year of last 5-6. Tha's all folks.

The Colonel

Is that we are competitive, beat Duke, UT-twice, beat Auburn. ARKANSAS, Louisville and whoever is in the NIL tournament. Don't stumble to a UNC Wilmington type and go to at least round of 16 in thre NCAAs. Big order but same expectations we had for CAL each year of last 5-6. Tha's all folks.

The Colonel
Great expectations for the first season.

Hopes are we are competitive, look like a team that knows what we are doing on offense and defense. Fun to watch, win a bunch, lose very little. Get to post season playing our best. Get to at least the 2nd weekend on NCAA tourney, hopefully further.

My expectations are less. Those are my hopes.

My expectations are close to your hopes. And I think they are very reasonable, if not conservative.

Reactions: ColonelCat
I don't see how this team is not a significant upgrade from last season as it stands now. More mature experienced players, two outstanding defenders including in the post, a host of outside shooters, and a variety of options on combinations. Pope's challenge will be figuring out the right combinations and getting them to play together as a team. Early on turnovers will be an issue and being in the right positions on the court. Remember we were one of the absolute worst defensive teams in the nation last season. That's clearly already going to change.

With all of that just described we had our chances of winning the SEC and were in the top 4. We had a coach who most will agree was not great during a game. No way we are worse this season.

The Colonel
No injuries

Reactions: Catfan2226

The Colonel

What is the NIL tournament? We aren't in that are we?

Those are nice expectations on who we need to beat. Sweeping UT as long as Barnes is there won't be easy though but he's getting old so maybe they stumble with next hire.

Hopes are we are competitive, look like a team that knows what we are doing on offense and defense. Fun to watch, win a bunch, lose very little. Get to post season playing our best. Get to at least the 2nd weekend on NCAA tourney, hopefully further.

My hopes as well
Nothing wrong with tempering expectations..,but let the hopes soar

The Colonel
Seeing how that we won't be a team that depends on 6 or 7 freshman that usually chokes at tournament time. I believe that we can at least make the Sweet-16.

Competitive in every game.
Offensive sets/In Bounds Plays/ Changing defenses.
No bad loses.
Obvious in game adjustments.
Playing in the semifinals of the SEC tournament.
Winning at least one NCAA tournament game.

Single digit losses. At least runner up in SEC. Finals of SEC tourney. Elite eight.

Pretty high, I guess, but I can't help it. I always expect a great season from my UK team.

My hopes as well
SmEfva-WBm2cF8i297ZBrVP61DFjrfRp-RxYQFWxxqs.gif

tumblr_n4uoi23lrj1tvjti3o1_500.gif

Win 20 games in regular season. Make it to at least Saturday of SEC Tourney. Make NCAA Tourney and win a game. Given every player on our team departed and we have a new coach forced to assemble a roster late and on the fly,those would be a good result IMO

My hopes as well
I keep two glasses in front of me and both are half full.
I don't expect a stellar season and hope I'm wrong .
Nothing wrong with having high expectations as long as we're able to season them with reality.

Reactions: Tida Nysage
I keep two glasses in front of me and both are half full.
I don't expect a stellar season and hope I'm wrong .
Nothing wrong with having high expectations as long as we're able to season them with reality.
I do not label it a throw a way season but it is one that if things do not go well I can look past it.

In all reality of my thoughts I see us doing as we did this year or a bit better. Just a seasoned team. It might take some time (not sure how long to get all the guys on the same page) but come the winter break (old camp cal) we will see how much we improve to be ready for SEC season. I am hoping we see a more balanced schedule in the fact that we do not play 10 games in november and then 6 games in december. Would rather see it sort of like SEC schedule of 2 games each week to get balance and rhythm to the team. Any small think to help with team continuity.

The Colonel
I'm still trying to figure out what the NIL Tournament is and why Kentucky has never played in it. Someone needs to get Pope on the phone asap!

I'm still trying to figure out what the NIL Tournament is and why Kentucky has never played in it. Someone needs to get Pope on the phone asap!
NIL is a new tourn with all participating getting 1 million NIL dollars for playing. I am not sure if we are invited this year or not. I may be incorrect as to the payout, but you maybe can look it up.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Win 20 games in regular season. Make it to at least Saturday of SEC Tourney. Make NCAA Tourney and win a game. Given every player on our team departed and we have a new coach forced to assemble a roster late and on the fly,those would be a good result IMO
See. I’m not in that camp because our coach isn’t. I’m with mark when he says to compete for a title this year. There’s no reason if we land Robinson and/or Lanier we can’t. I’m not delusional I’m just following the standards the coach is setting .

Gotta win #9 or Pope is an abject failure and should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

I do not label it a throw a way season but it is one that if things do not go well I can look past it.

In all reality of my thoughts I see us doing as we did this year or a bit better. Just a seasoned team. It might take some time (not sure how long to get all the guys on the same page) but come the winter break (old camp cal) we will see how much we improve to be ready for SEC season. I am hoping we see a more balanced schedule in the fact that we do not play 10 games in november and then 6 games in december. Would rather see it sort of like SEC schedule of 2 games each week to get balance and rhythm to the team. Any small think to help with team continuity.
Thanks

At this point with this roster, I'd be happy to win the games we are favored in. Meaning no head scratching losses. I don't think that will be asking to much as we are probably gonna be the underdog in most of our marquee games and a chunk of the SEC games.

I don't see how this team is not a significant upgrade from last season as it stands now. More mature experienced players, two outstanding defenders including in the post, a host of outside shooters, and a variety of options on combinations. Pope's challenge will be figuring out the right combinations and getting them to play together as a team. Early on turnovers will be an issue and being in the right positions on the court. Remember we were one of the absolute worst defensive teams in the nation last season. That's clearly already going to change.

With all of that just described we had our chances of winning the SEC and were in the top 4. We had a coach who most will agree was not great during a game. No way we are worse this season.
If memory serves me correctly, I was reading somewhere we were adjusted defensively at 117 last year( horrible ) and this year projected at 3 based on numbers. These dpoy monsters at the perimeter AND post WILL have that attitude and strength that squashes freshman dreams. Then we average over 40 % from three down 10 deep now which is better than we were last year.
Definitely seeing an upgrade here.
Oh yeah, we have a strategic coach now too.

Reactions: ukfan1622

The Colonel
That's much more than being competitive

Reactions: BigBlueTrue75
I'm trying to temper my expectations since we have no idea how this roster will gel. Chemistry is crucial. I think we have a good mix of guys. I'm willing to settle for being competitive this year as we are in a tough transition. I really like what Pope has done in such a short time. Very optimistic about our future.

To be competitive, entertaining, and see the Kentucky brand back in the conversation in a positive light at the end of the postseason.

This is the thing right here.

Of course a positive light at the end of the post season depends on whether or not the team has managed to win at least a couple or three games in the SEC and NCAA tournaments.

I would say those are fair expectations actually. This team has potential to meet those goals and they aren't over the top really. I'm not sure exactly what to expect but certainly go along with your "hopes". It's Coach's first season and there will be bumps in the road so I'm thinking he needs time to get his system and guys. Very willing to be patient a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT