ADVERTISEMENT

My $1700 Rupp thoughts from the UNC Wilmington game

What hurts is knowing 2 things, some humans have ability and others will...Sometimes a little of both but I learned from a teacher that you can lack ability and make up for it with a willingness to win. UNCW had that no doubt, and they could knock down open 3s and some contested 3s.

UK's got highly regarded "ability" type players....question is are we as a team lacking the willingness to win?

Hopefully that makes sense, it still perplexes my mind to this day.

I do want you to know it’s not a shot at you, but sports fans in general for willing to spend money on mediocre things
This. I agree, it's his money, spend it however you wish. But I could think of a better way to spend that. Now if that was the Miami game or Duke at Rupp, that's worth it. 1700 for to watch us lay a turd to a unranked mid major..,,,,

I'd have been a bit pissed. And people wonder why attendance is down at games....it's just too damn expensive.

Great experience for you and your grandson. Both of my pareare gone and I miss them terribly. I no longer have the passion for uk basketball. Ccc has taken that away. I would not make the trip to Lexington for free front row tickets. I do still have fond memories of listening to coach Rupp after games and my mom keeping her own score card each game. Those even ccc can not destroy.

I took my 10 year old grandson to his first UK game on Saturday. My drive home to Louisville gave me time to think about our day and it was filled with both highs and lows.
Our seats were great. Cost me $1300 for the seats and a little more for shirts, basketball and other stuff he wanted. Total for the day was a little over $1700.

To start with, I was highly disappointed after getting to Rupp. This was my first trip back since Covid and I hate the changes they made. We left Louisville early on Saturday and during the ride down, I told my grandson about UK, its tradition and how much fun he will have "tailgating" inside the complex going in all the shops, eating at the food court.
Wow, my thoughts on seeing all the shops gone, the food court gone, hardly no one hanging out in the Hyatt was something beyond printable.
Once we got inside at 2:30, things changed for the good. He was so excited to watch everything. while watching the teams warm up, I told him then we, UK, better be ready to play after watching UNC Wilmington arm up. boy, it seemed every player on that team was hitting their shots, mostly from the 3 line.
Our seats were 8 rows behind the UK bench. I felt there was not much energy from some of the players, especially after halftime when they came back onto the floor.

For me, a team that is superior like UK and being down at the half, I was hoping to see then run out ready to show UNC Wilmington who they really are. No, I remember seeing Mitchell being one of the first to come out on the floor walking like he was window shopping at the mall. Others followed in the same manner.

No offensive rebounding at all. None it seemed. Missing so many shots close up and having others pop back out of the net, the look on the UK players faces was one of frustration.
I felt UK was not getting the whistle on many calls and getting the whistle on a lot of touch fouls. We seemed to want back down from physical play and want to whine to the refs many times during the game. Yes, some if not most was legit, but you have to fight thru that crap.

Got a great picture of my grandson and Jeff Sheppard together. I have several pieces of UK memorabilia signed by Jeff after over the years. I waited over 3 hours when the 98 team won to get his signature on a piece of the floor from Championship game along with the old "3" posters they hang after a made 3. Jeff Sheppard was one of my favorites over the years.
When the good Lord calls me home, this is my only grandson and he will get a very nice UK man cave along with a 200 piece firearm collection. So, yes, this was a big deal for me to get his picture with him. I actually have a blue and white .45 Berrata in UK blue. I kick myself in the ass all the time when thinking about this gun. When I bought it, my dealer had a red/black one for UL. I was thinking with my heart and not my head and should have bought both of them.
I do have a very nice mounted UK-UL set of derringers with a gold plated tag that says, "The Battle of the Bluegrass" on it.
Then to get my grandson's new UK basketball autographed by Reed Sheppard just put the icing on the cake.

When I saw my grandson up clapping, cheering with the cheerleaders, this sent a great feeling down my spine. I bleed blue and always will.
Losing the game sucked. Sucked big time to watch my team play with little fire and energy.

Been waiting on getting our bigs back to play like everyone else. After seeing the Bradshaw kid, I could not help but think about Skal and how skinny he was. But the kid played hard and with emotion.

But it was on the ride home thinking about our day together that I realized how little I was thinking about losing the game. In the past, I would have been a little sick to my stomach, pissed off a little but for some reason, I am at a point where I sort of expect this to happen. That was the real sad part of the day, that I have lost some of my energy myself for UK and started thinking about the players playing like I feel. It's just a game.
There was a time when it was more than just a game to me. Good or bad to be like that, who knows but when you truly bleed blue you know what I mean. I am afraid my grandson will just take losing as part of being normal. There was a time when a team came into Rupp you knew and they knew they were toast.

I miss the old days but enjoyed my time with my grandson watching my beloved Cats.
I still believe we will win the rest of our games. I will never just give up on them but when they do lose, for whatever the reason is, it just does not hurt anymore.
Go Big Blue
I look forward to the 2nd chapter of this novel.

OP, I understand your love for your grandson and for the Kentucky Basketball of the past that we all wish desperately would return. But, the truth is I just don't see UK bball ever being the same as it was even just 8-10 years ago. We may get lucky with the next head coach hire or we may not. Calipari was pretty good until 2015/Wisconsin game but, he has never been on board with a "program 1st" mentality. And that will diminish his legacy forever IMO.
Yes, the gameday experience around Rupp isn't close to what it used to be. No food, shops or hotel crowds and feel of a bigtime atmosphere anymore. Maybe that's a small part of why attendance has been falling?
On the $1700 you spent to attend the Sat. game versus a mid-major, you could probably have picked a much better opponent and got in for the same money. But, it is YOUR money and you can certainly spend it anyway you like.
At the very least you got to spend some priceless time with your grandson. Hopefully you both cherish those memories for a long, long time.

I can’t believe some of the responses to this post. Family is exponentially more important than money. Cherish the time and memories with your grandson.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Kudos to the OP for doing that for his grandson, and actually spending cash to go to the game instead of staying home to watch on the 60 inch HDTV.

I took my 10 year old grandson to his first UK game on Saturday. My drive home to Louisville gave me time to think about our day and it was filled with both highs and lows.
Our seats were great. Cost me $1300 for the seats and a little more for shirts, basketball and other stuff he wanted. Total for the day was a little over $1700.

To start with, I was highly disappointed after getting to Rupp. This was my first trip back since Covid and I hate the changes they made. We left Louisville early on Saturday and during the ride down, I told my grandson about UK, its tradition and how much fun he will have "tailgating" inside the complex going in all the shops, eating at the food court.
Wow, my thoughts on seeing all the shops gone, the food court gone, hardly no one hanging out in the Hyatt was something beyond printable.
Once we got inside at 2:30, things changed for the good. He was so excited to watch everything. while watching the teams warm up, I told him then we, UK, better be ready to play after watching UNC Wilmington arm up. boy, it seemed every player on that team was hitting their shots, mostly from the 3 line.
Our seats were 8 rows behind the UK bench. I felt there was not much energy from some of the players, especially after halftime when they came back onto the floor.

For me, a team that is superior like UK and being down at the half, I was hoping to see then run out ready to show UNC Wilmington who they really are. No, I remember seeing Mitchell being one of the first to come out on the floor walking like he was window shopping at the mall. Others followed in the same manner.

No offensive rebounding at all. None it seemed. Missing so many shots close up and having others pop back out of the net, the look on the UK players faces was one of frustration.
I felt UK was not getting the whistle on many calls and getting the whistle on a lot of touch fouls. We seemed to want back down from physical play and want to whine to the refs many times during the game. Yes, some if not most was legit, but you have to fight thru that crap.

Got a great picture of my grandson and Jeff Sheppard together. I have several pieces of UK memorabilia signed by Jeff after over the years. I waited over 3 hours when the 98 team won to get his signature on a piece of the floor from Championship game along with the old "3" posters they hang after a made 3. Jeff Sheppard was one of my favorites over the years.
When the good Lord calls me home, this is my only grandson and he will get a very nice UK man cave along with a 200 piece firearm collection. So, yes, this was a big deal for me to get his picture with him. I actually have a blue and white .45 Berrata in UK blue. I kick myself in the ass all the time when thinking about this gun. When I bought it, my dealer had a red/black one for UL. I was thinking with my heart and not my head and should have bought both of them.
I do have a very nice mounted UK-UL set of derringers with a gold plated tag that says, "The Battle of the Bluegrass" on it.
Then to get my grandson's new UK basketball autographed by Reed Sheppard just put the icing on the cake.

When I saw my grandson up clapping, cheering with the cheerleaders, this sent a great feeling down my spine. I bleed blue and always will.
Losing the game sucked. Sucked big time to watch my team play with little fire and energy.

Been waiting on getting our bigs back to play like everyone else. After seeing the Bradshaw kid, I could not help but think about Skal and how skinny he was. But the kid played hard and with emotion.

But it was on the ride home thinking about our day together that I realized how little I was thinking about losing the game. In the past, I would have been a little sick to my stomach, pissed off a little but for some reason, I am at a point where I sort of expect this to happen. That was the real sad part of the day, that I have lost some of my energy myself for UK and started thinking about the players playing like I feel. It's just a game.
There was a time when it was more than just a game to me. Good or bad to be like that, who knows but when you truly bleed blue you know what I mean. I am afraid my grandson will just take losing as part of being normal. There was a time when a team came into Rupp you knew and they knew they were toast.

I miss the old days but enjoyed my time with my grandson watching my beloved Cats.
I still believe we will win the rest of our games. I will never just give up on them but when they do lose, for whatever the reason is, it just does not hurt anymore.
Go Big Blue
GREAT post OldBlue!!!!

AlohaCat

Not sure how to take this, but mentionin
Thank you.
I do not take anything anyone says to heart. Having coached travel ball and high school ball for over 25 years, I know what I have control over and not. What others think and say is something none of us have control over.

I am just so thankful the good Lord has been good to me to give the tools I needed one the years to do the things I have done and make a nice living doing it. Working 6-7 days a week, many times over 12 hours a day, has paid off and while others spend money on things they want and wish for, it is not for me to question on how anyone spends their money.
Truth is, with al the great things from yesterday, the real thing that truly haunts me is seeing this little old lady standing on the corner with a sign asking for help. Traffic was heavy and I drove on by. But her face is still with me. Point is, I feel blessed and I am very thankful for what I am able to do for my family and others.

I do have a nice Uk collection of items and really want my grandson to want these when I am gone and understand what this has meant to me and to pass this along.
That is what our tradition is all about.

I mean, mentioning that you spent $1,700 sounds like a subtle brag to me; I never mention how much I spent when going to a game. I'm happy that you have "F-you" money, which is what you wanted everyone to know/think. Otherwise, you would never mention a dollar amount. I have had tickets that close but I get them through work; I would never spend $1,700 on a game, but that's me, and you do you. Other than that, good post.

tldr, the dollar amount spent didn't add to the story; it only invites negativity.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Yep , I've been involved in travel ball, HS and 3 years of small college coaching . But I was never was good at letting things bounce off my back , I like to fight .. not a great trait , wish I could let go of things I dont control . Well your post made my day , it was bittersweet as I fear the next generation wont get to experience the pride and excitement that comes from a mostly united state of Ky all pulling for " our boys " I'm only 57 and I tried to instill the love of Big Blue in both my kids .. but neither Was really interested , took my 10 year old great nephew to his first UK football game .. freaking Missouri . Dropped some cash but not near like you did . Hope that kid grows up to ooze blue , take care and Merry Christmas in the name of Jesus .

Talk about not letting things roll off my back; I had that issue in HS, had the fear of God put in me, then decided which battles to pick. I know how to defend myself adequately, but I have not engaged in a fight since HS (not going to claim anything). Of course, I am a Millennial who works hard and believes in the Bible and the Constitution. I mean, anyone can claim anything on the internet, so what's the point in sharing accomplishments, status, money spent, etc?

Reactions: ManitouDan
Guy makes a wonderful post , and humans show up immediately to rain on it and be nothing but entirely negative , damn I thought I was miserable at times , some of you all take the cake .
he actually invest in cheering on our team and you miserable pricks rain on it . I hope karma finds you . Thanks OP for sharing what was a special day , good on you !

Oh boo hoo

And talk about a classless post. It’s a message board and people have every right not to agree with a post and here you are, acting like a complete ass hole, wishing ill will on people that don’t agree

So what , you want to die in a car wreck? Is that my “kharma”? Get a life clown. Geez

Go Big Blue

Post of the year!

I didn’t know the OP had so many financial advisors. We get it guys. 1700 is steep for you. OP obviously has it. Do you think those low level seats are gonna cost the same as your seats resting your back against the wall?

Agree with you. As one becomes more successful in life you realize there is one resource you cannot replenish and that is your time. You getting that time with your grandson is indeed priceless.
I agree with OP as well. Some things are priceless and if you have the money spend it. I was brought up poor. As the OP worked my ass off and now have more money than time left .
We were in Northern Ireland last year . Took a black cab ride of Belfast peace wall and all. Loved the driver . So I asked what it would cost to rent him for the whole next day and evening to drive up the coast and see where Game of thrones was filmed and other sights .
We saw many tour buses and I’m sure their experience was much cheaper and ok .
However ours was incredible. A memory my wife and I will always share . Well worth it . life is too sHirt . if you can afford it do it If that’s what you want .

Not sure how to take this, but mentionin

I mean, mentioning that you spent $1,700 sounds like a subtle brag to me; I never mention how much I spent when going to a game. I'm happy that you have "F-you" money, which is what you wanted everyone to know/think. Otherwise, you would never mention a dollar amount. I have had tickets that close but I get them through work; I would never spend $1,700 on a game, but that's me, and you do you. Other than that, good post.

tldr, the dollar amount spent didn't add to the story; it only invites negativity.
When I was coaching, I would always start my new group of players/parents off with a meeting. In the meeting I would have a glass of water. The glass was half filled and I would ask everyone to write down if the glass was half empty or half full.
There are no wrong answers to this, only information how someone sees something, the same something that others see but have different opinions. In this exercise, it gave insight on that person and how they see things.
A half empty person: if we have a disagreement, I would know that person was not willing to listen as much but more wanting to talk.
A half full answer was the opposite; that person would be more willing to listen, exchange opinions and was willing to listen.

I did not post the dollar amount for no other reason but to tell the whole story of my grandson's first visit to Rupp.
I included it mainly to show how much tickets cost these days even for a lesser game. I doo not have the luxury of someone giving me tickets, so buying them thru Ticketmaster is my only way of getting them. I am sure each time these tickets exchange hands the price goes up.

But you are very wrong in your statement/opinion on why I included the cost of the tickets. For $1700, I was expecting a different setting at Rupp, a much different pre-game experience and damn sure was hoping for a different outcome of the game.

For those who know me, work for me, they would laugh at someone saying I was bragging.
There are two kinds of people in this world, takers and givers. You would have a hard time finding anyone who knows me to say I was a taker.
What about you?

For a lot of us old timers it's hard to adjust to the way things are today. I had season tickets years ago and every year the price would go up and the competition watered down. I finally gave them up and have no regrets.

I haven't been to Rupp in years and if I never go back I'm OK with that.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Spending a lot of money on tickets and things not going as one hoped is always a bummer. Good for you for putting it all in perspective.

I spent a good chunk once to watch the Warriors/Pelicans from near court side. To my surprise, Curry, Klay, Cousins and A Davis all opted not to play and take a rest night. I haven’t been to an NBA game since and prob won’t ever again.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckinden
I didn’t know the OP had so many financial advisors. We get it guys. 1700 is steep for you. OP obviously has it. Do you think those low level seats are gonna cost the same as your seats resting your back against the wall?

Meh, I can spend significant money on tickets, as could most people on here. We just choose not to. I will not spend more than $50 on a ticket (but that's me, not everyone else), but I do not really care where I sit, and close to the court does not move the needle for me (I actually like the very top of lower level, or very bottom of upper)

Meh, I can spend significant money on tickets, as could most people on here. We just choose not to. I will not spend more than $50 on a ticket (but that's me, not everyone else), but I do not really care where I sit, and close to the court does not move the needle for me (I actually like the very top of lower level, or very bottom of upper)
I’m just glad he didn’t spend your money on his and his grandsons ticket

When I was coaching, I would always start my new group of players/parents off with a meeting. In the meeting I would have a glass of water. The glass was half filled and I would ask everyone to write down if the glass was half empty or half full.
There are no wrong answers to this, only information how someone sees something, the same something that others see but have different opinions. In this exercise, it gave insight on that person and how they see things.
A half empty person: if we have a disagreement, I would know that person was not willing to listen as much but more wanting to talk.
A half full answer was the opposite; that person would be more willing to listen, exchange opinions and was willing to listen.

I did not post the dollar amount for no other reason but to tell the whole story of my grandson's first visit to Rupp.
I included it mainly to show how much tickets cost these days even for a lesser game. I doo not have the luxury of someone giving me tickets, so buying them thru Ticketmaster is my only way of getting them. I am sure each time these tickets exchange hands the price goes up.

But you are very wrong in your statement/opinion on why I included the cost of the tickets. For $1700, I was expecting a different setting at Rupp, a much different pre-game experience and damn sure was hoping for a different outcome of the game.

For those who know me, work for me, they would laugh at someone saying I was bragging.
There are two kinds of people in this world, takers and givers. You would have a hard time finding anyone who knows me to say I was a taker.
What about you?
Meh, I really could not care less IRL. Personally, I do think it’s poor taste to include dollar amounts when it comes to spending or giving, especially if it’s a high amount. I’m likely young enough to be your son, but I work hard and own a home. So I do not think I’m a taker, ICYWW.

I hope your grandson enjoyed it; I wish I still had my grandfather. Rupp just isn’t what it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT