ADVERTISEMENT

Murray turns down 7 figure salary

Mike-D

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
WADD
According to reports, Jamal Murray turned down a 7 figure salary to play for Kentucky next year. Sorry no link. Matt Jones retweeted it.

If true, wow. Dudes all in.

Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari
As in playing for a pro team. I don't know if it was overseas or not. Probably so, unless Canada has a pro league. And while some top-25 players could get offered similar deals, I seriously doubt every top-25 guy could get that offer. Just my opinion anyway.

As in playing for a pro team. I don't know if it was overseas or not. Probably so, unless Canada has a pro league. And while some top-25 players could get offered similar deals, I seriously doubt every top-25 guy could get that offer. Just my opinion anyway.
You're 100% right, because no pro team is going to be willing to pay that unless they think the guy can be an impact player. A description that applies to MAYBE 5-10 guys in a normal year. If a team is throwing that kind of money around, it's because they think the kid they're throwing it at has a chance to go near the top of the NBA draft, and is worth a 1 year rental.

Which also means the offer probably came from China. There are only a few countries in the world where teams have 7 figure salary money to throw at teenagers, and the European countries that do (mainly Spain and Italy, possibly a few teams in France and Greece, and some others scattered through Europe) wouldn't be willing to do it on a 1 year player, because they have a soccer-style developmental system where they snag kids really young, then spend years developing them. Chinese teams don't have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari
What kid would want to go to some stupid foreign country? If its not the US or Canada I ain't going I've never understood why or how a kid like Mudiay could stand that. I would've turned down the money to go to college too. Hell I would've turned it down to go to Lindsey Wilson if I knew I was gonna make the NBA the next year. Screw going overseas.

Most UK players do get paid (after leaving UK). Either instant millionaires or very large paydays; here or overseas. Or they are endeared to Kentucky fans and do OK.
Yes, I know...I few don't do so well and end up as tire changers; but that is the definitely not the majority.

But what if they offer him 8 or 9 figure salary? Will he still go to UK?

Dumb Louisville fans will now say that we are definitely paying players now lol

Yes, we just got outbid by other schools when we lost out on those 7 other players this past spring. Cal is running out of money. Call in the BIG $$$ boosters. Call the reinforcements. We've got a code red, and we need backup.

As long as that serial killer in your sig picture isn't coaching.

Hey now, Mike-D. You have no idea if she could coach or not. If the electric chair hadn't have killed her and if she would have gotten interested into penal league women's basketball. You have no idea of her talent for coaching women's basketball. Now would she sign Murray for her women's team, no? But she could have been something special despite the circumstances.

Reactions: jarms24 and Mike-D
Dumb Louisville fans will now say that we are definitely paying players now lol

Anthony Davis probably got the bad end of the deal. He only got $200k
Murray must have gotten 7 figures for coming to UK [laughing]

Reactions: Mike-D
But what if they offer him 8 or 9 figure salary? Will he still go to UK?

I doubt they have $10 million to throw away for one season, let alone $100 million (you should beat yourself for suggesting the latter, and maybe even the former).

Great news! Murray is obviously thinking long term and clearly sees the big picture. Still awesome to hear that owners are throwing big money his way. It only reinforces my view that he's special.

Besides he's easily getting comped a milli here lol. Especially if Cal's at foot locker every Saturday morning buying all those retro Jordan's these kids wear lol.

To me it's crazy to turn down that money when your only going to stay a year anyway. Might as well go ahead and cash out.

To me I think it's crazy a pro team in another country can offer a kid that much money, yet the nba can't.

To me it's crazy to turn down that money when your only going to stay a year anyway. Might as well go ahead and cash out.

To me I think it's crazy a pro team in another country can offer a kid that much money, yet the nba can't.
Yeah, imagine if the pro teams were able to afford the buyout on your 7-8 NBA players! [roll]

There are some restrictions that come with a non-NBA contract. The foreign team would essentially own his rights and if he wanted to enter the draft, then whichever NBA team selected him would have to pay the foreign team for his rights. This is how the foreign team will make money off the player.

For the player, you obviously get the immediate payday, but you have the headache of the foreign team owning your rights. This is not a big deal usually, but maybe there are other negative aspects we are not aware of?

An insurance policy will give your family peace of mind if you project to be a lottery pick, so longterm, the one-and-done vs 1yr of foreign money will not matter for injury.

After reading this, I wonder if the entire story is in those quotes from Jamal's dad. Perhaps a big reason that he turned it down is because the team offered him big money, but wanted a long term contract in return. Maybe that 7 figure salary comes at the expense of a 3 year deal, which would keep him overseas 2 years longer than attending college. As people keep talking about the ability of these players to go overseas, I think it will run it's course, as eventually the overseas teams will quit letting these kids go over there for just 1 year of service, and will start making the deals more long term instead of the 1 year they are getting now.

After reading this, I wonder if the entire story is in those quotes from Jamal's dad. Perhaps a big reason that he turned it down is because the team offered him big money, but wanted a long term contract in return. Maybe that 7 figure salary comes at the expense of a 3 year deal, which would keep him overseas 2 years longer than attending college. As people keep talking about the ability of these players to go overseas, I think it will run it's course, as eventually the overseas teams will quit letting these kids go over there for just 1 year of service, and will start making the deals more long term instead of the 1 year they are getting now.

This definitely makes sense from a franchise and owner perspective. But if we're talking about sure fire NBA players like Murray, Jennings, Mudiay. The ball remains in the players court IMHO.

You're 100% right, because no pro team is going to be willing to pay that unless they think the guy can be an impact player. A description that applies to MAYBE 5-10 guys in a normal year. If a team is throwing that kind of money around, it's because they think the kid they're throwing it at has a chance to go near the top of the NBA draft, and is worth a 1 year rental.

Which also means the offer probably came from China. There are only a few countries in the world where teams have 7 figure salary money to throw at teenagers, and the European countries that do (mainly Spain and Italy, possibly a few teams in France and Greece, and some others scattered through Europe) wouldn't be willing to do it on a 1 year player, because they have a soccer-style developmental system where they snag kids really young, then spend years developing them. Chinese teams don't have that.

I wouldn't take a check from Greece right now, :)

Apparently Jamal and his advisers felt that the benefits of playing at a prestigious university, and being coached and developed by a legendary coach outweighed the benefits of any short term monetary gains. The experience and exposure that he will gain at Kentucky, will help him more to achieve his goal of being a top draft pick.

6_266426.JPG

Reactions: Brando Mac

How'd that work out for that player you guys lost a few years ago? Turned down UL to play overseas. Forgot his name, which is kind of the point.

The NBA instituted the whole "year out of college" thing specifically so that they'd no longer have to take risks on 18 year olds - it's not much of a loss for them considering they have all the best 20-35 year olds in the world. Not true for a Chinese league.

Murray is not eligible for the NBA next year. So an offer like that would have to be from a team overseas.

Murray is not eligible for the NBA next year. So an offer like that would have to be from a team overseas.
What are you talking about? Next year as in 15-16, or next year as in 16-17?

If you're talking about 15-16, well, yeah, I think everyone knows that. If you're talking about 16-17, you're wrong.

Hey now, Mike-D. You have no idea if she could coach or not. If the electric chair hadn't have killed her and if she would have gotten interested into penal league women's basketball. You have no idea of her talent for coaching women's basketball. Now would she sign Murray for her women's team, no? But she could have been something special despite the circumstances.

actually in today's world she's a rape victim.

Makes me wonder what Bob Knights take would be on her?

ADVERTISEMENT