ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri is my pivotal game

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
My friend says So Carolina defines our season but I say we can take Mo at home. Respect what they have done but that is the one I think we get this time. Florida a possibility as well but Missouri is the one I think sets us up for a bowl. I like what Coach Pinkel said was their key. Red shirts almost 70. That has to be our blueprint as well

SC, UF and Mizzou games will define the season. We need 2-1 or better to get to where I believe we can get to this year. Win all 3 and things get really freakin interesting.

Reactions: KYFAN502
My friend says So Carolina defines our season but I say we can take Mo at home. Respect what they have done but that is the one I think we get this time. Florida a possibility as well but Missouri is the one I think sets us up for a bowl. I like what Coach Pinkel said was their key. Red shirts almost 70. That has to be our blueprint as well
My wife and I are driving from Fl to see the game. I believe we will have won at so Carolina and fl ,so win at Missouri ,and watch the place go off

I suspect that Mizzou is the least likely win out of Florida, SC, and Mizzou. I think Florida is the most likely and I would actually argue that Mississippi State is a more likely win than South Carolina or Mizzou.

Reactions: CB3UK
I suspect that Mizzou is the least likely win out of Florida, SC, and Mizzou. I think Florida is the most likely and I would actually argue that Mississippi State is a more likely win than South Carolina or Mizzou.

I agree with this, everyone wrote Missouri off last year too, I think they are on a different level that UF, USC or State who I think is looking at a huge dropoff. Hard to say UF won't be the easiest game of 4, they have more question marks and unknowns than anyone in the conference. State lost more off their 2 deep than anyone in the conference and have tons of question marks themself. Like everyone else UK has some question marks too, the biggest is can someone step up to help fill the gap left by their 2 best defenders being gone and will the RS be far enough alone to be quality depth instead of just depth.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
I think we can beat Missouri at home this year.

Missouri is a solid football team, but they don't have an overwhelming talent advantage.

Solid, well coached team that isn't really explosive or anything.

I think we can outscore them in Commomwealth!

The great thing is that we are debating whether we can beat some SEC teams that in past years we would have written off as losses not potential wins.

I think that UK will be able to score points this season and that the kick coverage on the special teams likely will be improved. IMO UKs biggest question mark is defense. Will they be able to replace likely their 2 best defenders off a not great defense and improve enough to be competitive against Power 5 offenses?

They must be better against the run and I just am not confident that the CBs are power 5 level CBs. The OLBs could also be a problem. Please prove me wrong Cats.

Eight home games however could be a big factor in getting a couple of unexpected wins and maybe the lights will come on for some of the young talent that Stoops has brought in to UK. I think the Cats could have anything from 5 to 8 wins. It is going to depend on if they start reaping the potential of some of their young defensive players.

I am just not confident that the senior dominated defense will have improved all that much and feel that an infusion of young talent must happen for it to have much improvement.

The offense will be composed of almost all Stoops recruits but the defense still will have about half of its starters as holdovers from the Joker era with most of them being at the CB and LB positions. The present depth chart has 5 starters that are holdovers from the Joker Era DE Huguenin, DE/LB J. Johnson, MLB Forrest, CB Tiller,and CB Quinn. The only one of that bunch that I am confident are SEC level players is MLB Forrest.

Last edited:
Mizzou is tough, but they're not overwhelming. Overlooking them is foolish, but the reality is that UK has had the opportunity to beat them last year in Columbia. The key is playing sound football, not turning the ball over, and being in the game in 4Q.

Reactions: vikingfer
We have a better chance beating Missouri than we do SC. SC has better talent than Mo. and we play them at SC. If we beat SC I think we have a good shot at winning all three. I do not see us beating MSU at their place, sure they lost a lot but they return their QB and have had as good or better recruiting than we have since Stoops arrived.

If we can tackle mauk and not let him pick up an extra 8 yds when it should be for a loss I think we beat Missouri. I think USCjr will be tough due to environment and the fact we got them last year. UF is my big game of the year, mostly because I've never seen us win that game in my lifetime.

Reactions: vikingfer
I am looking at Florida as the most winnable of the first 3 SEC games. Florida is the weakest and I would like to see UK beat them for the first time in my life, I'm 26. Missouri is winnable but UK needs to play their A game and Missouri needs to play off a little. South Carolina will be difficult but not impossible.

Hopefully that Mizzou game gets picked up for another Commonwealth night TV slot

Once we beat USCjr and UF this game will be a "premier" night game. All eyes on Commonwealth. Win this one and we are being talked about for SEC Championship game!!!!

The wise old man would say one game at a time. So ULL would be the most pivotal. But, looking at the 3 SEC games, I will go with Florida. We should be in every game. And I think going 2-1 at worst should be expected. Beet Florida and end the streak, and I think we ride momentum to a solid season. Lose, and we are fighting for 6 wins. Even though they are down, a win over Florida will get recruits buzzing.

FL is the most important game, for this season and long term in recruiting and future SEC success. It is FL's first road game, and a trap game before UT for them. They think it will be the same ole UK (despite last year's tough game), so they are ripe for the picking with either a frosh pocket passer at QB or that below average scrambler.

UK can win all 3 or lose all 3 of these games. If they can only win 1 I 100% want it to be FL.

Reactions: brianpoe
FL is the most important game, for this season and long term in recruiting and future SEC success. It is FL's first road game, and a trap game before UT for them. They think it will be the same ole UK (despite last year's tough game), so they are ripe for the picking with either a frosh pocket passer at QB or that below average scrambler.

UK can win all 3 or lose all 3 of these games. If they can only win 1 I 100% want it to be FL.
Good post #8
But I can't agree that the gators will take us for granted as the same ole, same ole.
We beat them last year at the Swamp regardless of the score.
They know we are gunning for them this season.

Florida is the game we need to win most IMO. It is a key game for this season but it also would be great to move on from that losing streak as we are in a new era of Kentucky football.

I think the first three games are almost equally important. If we start out 1-2 or god forbid 0-3 this could turn into a disaster. We need to win at least 2 of the first 3 games.

I've been picking us to beat Missouri all along. They event exactly impressive in their win against us last year. They are weaker this year than last. We are significantly better and playing at home. Florida is still loaded with great athletes who may wear us down by the 4th quarter. Beating USC at home will be tough. I'm looking at 3-2 in the first 5 games. 2-3 and we will have to scramble to reach a bowl. 4-1, well that would be interesting. The confidence we would have at that point could take us to 8-4. I agree with OP though, we must win one of our first 3 SEC games and I just think Missouri is the most likely one. We'll beat Vandy and Candy, then we just need either Miss. State or UL to reach 6. I'm expecting 6-6 but wouldn't be surprised at 7-5. Reach a bowl and we'll hang on to our recruits and pull even more in. This year is so, so important.

It's hard to get high hopes the Cat's will be improved on D. That's a concern in the SEC. I see all 3 games as winnable, but we could lose all 3 as well. 0-3 would be a major disappointment. If it can only be 1-2 the game I want most is Florida. We beat SC last year, and Mizzou is but a new, young chimp on the program's back. Florida is an 800 lb. gorilla hanging on it. It's been over half my life since we beat them. That's the game I want the most. We came so darn close last year it still hurts, and it's way past time to end that losing streak.

True, but I think Missouri is more likely. I'd sure enjoy beating UF though.

I really don't understand how you think this. If you think Stoops can build the talent needed to win big in the SEC by identifying kids early, getting them on board and building depth through RSing many of those kids, you have to believe that someone who has been doing that and winning big in the SEC is all of a sudden not able to do that. They replace good DL from that 13 team with good linemen who had RS in 14, not to expect them to do the same in 15 is a mistake to me. Of course you have to play them one at a time, and of the first 4 games I think Missouri is the least likely win for UK. They have less questions to be answered than any of the other 3, beginning with not having to replace their qb or best rb.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
It sounds like Mizzou lost a lot up front on defense and offense this year and with it being at Commonwealth, believe that game is very winnable. If we were playing SC at home everyone would be picking us to win that one. Florida is still Florida but with a brand new staff and a green QB, this is about as close to a win as we're gonna get in our 28 year drought.

If the stars align, Auburn comes into Commonwealth against a top 20 UK team that is 5-0. Because all 3 of those SEC games are winnable. All 3 could be losses too. But all 3 are very, very important to this season. If we limp into Auburn at 2-3 it's gonna be a tough road to 6 wins. We'd basically have to about run the table the 2nd half of the season. Would have to beat Miss St, Vandy, Charlotte and UL.

Let's just win those 3 and get this thing a rollin

I really don't understand how you think this. If you think Stoops can build the talent needed to win big in the SEC by identifying kids early, getting them on board and building depth through RSing many of those kids, you have to believe that someone who has been doing that and winning big in the SEC is all of a sudden not able to do that. They replace good DL from that 13 team with good linemen who had RS in 14, not to expect them to do the same in 15 is a mistake to me. Of course you have to play them one at a time, and of the first 4 games I think Missouri is the least likely win for UK. They have less questions to be answered than any of the other 3, beginning with not having to replace their qb or best rb.

I think it from what I've seen. Missouri peaked in 13, they were not as good last year and they lost a ton from that team. They didn't exactly blow us off the field last year and all signs point to us being much improved. Our recruiting classes of 13 and 14 were significantly better than theirs. We are playing at home. Btw, saying they have been winning "big" is a skewed statement. They have been fortunate in having traditional powers having off years and favorable schedules. They are well coached but they aren't a top level SEC program regardless of whether they won the East the last two years or not. You can't be blown out like they were last year by you guys and Bama and pretend to be an elite SEC program. I do not believe they will be as good this year as they were last year. We will be better. You really don't think we can swing those 10 points around?

It sounds like Mizzou lost a lot up front on defense and offense this year and with it being at Commonwealth, believe that game is very winnable. If we were playing SC at home everyone would be picking us to win that one. Florida is still Florida but with a brand new staff and a green QB, this is about as close to a win as we're gonna get in our 28 year drought.

If the stars align, Auburn comes into Commonwealth against a top 20 UK team that is 5-0. Because all 3 of those SEC games are winnable. All 3 could be losses too. But all 3 are very, very important to this season. If we limp into Auburn at 2-3 it's gonna be a tough road to 6 wins. We'd basically have to about run the table the 2nd half of the season. Would have to beat Miss St, Vandy, Charlotte and UL.

Let's just win those 3 and get this thing a rollin

Yes, we HAVE to be at least 3-2 in those first 5. Having to beat Miss. State and UL is not the position I want to be in. It's bad enough starting 3-2 that we have to beat one of them.

I think it from what I've seen. Missouri peaked in 13, they were not as good last year and they lost a ton from that team. They didn't exactly blow us off the field last year and all signs point to us being much improved. Our recruiting classes of 13 and 14 were significantly better than theirs. We are playing at home. Btw, saying they have been winning "big" is a skewed statement. They have been fortunate in having traditional powers having off years and favorable schedules. They are well coached but they aren't a top level SEC program regardless of whether they won the East the last two years or not. You can't be blown out like they were last year by you guys and Bama and pretend to be an elite SEC program. I do not believe they will be as good this year as they were last year. We will be better. You really don't think we can swing those 10 points around?

The score was one sided, but did you watch the game? They had 6 turnovers, they also defended the run better than any team we played last year bar none. They won 11 games last year. As far as recruiting goes, UK had one class quite a few positions higher, the others were within 6-10 spots of each other and Missouri was higher one year. But it isn't these kids who will be playing, its they guys who have been in the program 4-5 years. Missouri was a good team last year, our game got away from them, they finished off their SEC schedule by beating an Arkansas team who had back to back shutouts against LSU and OM and UT. I am not saying UK has no shot at beating them, but not as good a shot as beating USC, UF or MSST. UK is not going into any of those games as a huge underdog, they could even be favored against UF, I just don't see the team you are seeing in Missouri, or maybe its not seeing.

Reactions: jimmy cowboy
Maybe I don't see well but I wasn't overly impressed with them in our game last year. As I said, they are well coached. I think our skill players are better. I don't give a team any credit for anything when they lose 34-0. Clearly, they were not close to being the best team in the East. You can't even put lipstick on that pig.

The great thing is that we are debating whether we can beat some SEC teams that in past years we would have written off as losses not potential wins.

I think that UK will be able to score points this season and that the kick coverage on the special teams likely will be improved. IMO UKs biggest question mark is defense. Will they be able to replace likely their 2 best defenders off a not great defense and improve enough to be competitive against Power 5 offenses?

They must be better against the run and I just am not confident that the CBs are power 5 level CBs. The OLBs could also be a problem. Please prove me wrong Cats.

Eight home games however could be a big factor in getting a couple of unexpected wins and maybe the lights will come on for some of the young talent that Stoops has brought in to UK. I think the Cats could have anything from 5 to 8 wins. It is going to depend on if they start reaping the potential of some of their young defensive players.

I am just not confident that the senior dominated defense will have improved all that much and feel that an infusion of young talent must happen for it to have much improvement.

The offense will be composed of almost all Stoops recruits but the defense still will have about half of its starters as holdovers from the Joker era with most of them being at the CB and LB positions. The present depth chart has 5 starters that are holdovers from the Joker Era DE Huguenin, DE/LB J. Johnson, MLB Forrest, CB Tiller,and CB Quinn. The only one of that bunch that I am confident are SEC level players is MLB Forrest.

"The only one of that bunch that I am confident "are" SEC level players is MLB Forrest."

Obviously a Freudian slip, you know you meant to make that plural. I keep hoping Huguenin will make a big jump, he and Bud came in together and Bud had an unworldly vertical of 39" and IMPROVED it while adding about 45#. Hueguenin had an unworldly shuttle time for someone his size and added about 35#, if he has just maintained his shuttle time it should be a huge weapon at his size.

Maybe I don't see well but I wasn't overly impressed with them in our game last year. As I said, they are well coached. I think our skill players are better. I don't give a team any credit for anything when they lose 34-0. Clearly, they were not close to being the best team in the East. You can't even put lipstick on that pig.

I have a real difficult time saying that a team that lost to South Carolina and Florida was the best team in the East either. UGA is in a recruiting hotbed, their teams are usually loaded with talent and yet always find a way to blow it.

I have a real difficult time saying that a team that lost to South Carolina and Florida was the best team in the East either. UGA is in a recruiting hotbed, their teams are usually loaded with talent and yet always find a way to blow it.

I won't argue that, the staff tried to get too cute with the playcalling at USC and took the ball out who was likely the top back in the country's hand and put in the hands of the worst an in the conference. I don't think they stop Gurley from the 4 on 4 attempts, he got none. I can't explain the UF game, up 14 to 0 with the ball in the first quarter, Cobb has over 100 yards on 9 carried and he gets 4 touches after that.

I agree Gumpy that ya'lls staff does some none headed things. I fear the time that Georgia gets an Urban Meyer or Saban like coach at the helm.

As far as Florida goes I was reading an article and the comments and several of the comments were about UK and the fans saying that they never over look UK as nobody on the team is wanting to lose to us and be "that group" that lost the streak.
Looking back over the years it seems they were always more than ready to play us and come out on all cylinders while watching them play another team they did not look near as focused. Last yr was the first time in 10 yrs where we matched their physicality and we were a bad non call away with an excellent chance of beating them.

If Vandy can beat them over the years so can we, problem is their is a streak and they are bringing it so they don't want to be that labeled team.

I agree Gumpy that ya'lls staff does some none headed things. I fear the time that Georgia gets an Urban Meyer or Saban like coach at the helm.

As far as Florida goes I was reading an article and the comments and several of the comments were about UK and the fans saying that they never over look UK as nobody on the team is wanting to lose to us and be "that group" that lost the streak.
Looking back over the years it seems they were always more than ready to play us and come out on all cylinders while watching them play another team they did not look near as focused. Last yr was the first time in 10 yrs where we matched their physicality and we were a bad non call away with an excellent chance of beating them.

If Vandy can beat them over the years so can we, problem is their is a streak and they are bringing it so they don't want to be that labeled team.

Richt has 1 or 2 games a year that make you go WTF was that, he has them every year. Believe me when I say he catches the heat from our board. But that wasn't a big issue in the past, the president didn't care about athletics and would have been happy with club teams, except when he digging into the athletic department's funds. But the new one is more athletic friendly, bumped all the coach's salaries up, but he may not be as accepting of those WTF games either. Richt is a good coach, I don't think he is a top 5 guy, top 20 fairly easy and finding someone better who is looking for a job won't be easy. When he leaves, I fully expect us to not look at a head coach, but a coordinator, maybe already there maybe not.

Beating Missouri would be a nice statement. They have won the East two years in a row.
They have a great coach and a team that knows how to win, but they lost to Indiana at home last year. Playing well against them is essential and beating them would be momentous.

Well, I don't care who it is, but we have to beat one of the first three SEC teams. Have to.

From the standpoint of establishing bowl eligibility, all individual games on our schedule this year count the same. From the standpoint of SEC games, I don't see how anyone can single out South Carolina as being more important than Florida or Missouri, or vice versa. I am in the minority here that thinks Kentucky has a pretty good chance to beat Missouri in Lexington. And I am in the minority that thinks beating South Carolina in Columbia when Spurrier can exploit the revenge motive will be very difficult this year. But if we play mistake free football, we can beat most of the teams on our schedule, and that definitely includes all the September games.

Saturday under the lights against Florida. We need this game! They should wear the uniforms that they wore against USCjr last year. I'm tired of losing to them!

Should have beat them last year. If we give them our best we will win. If we show up and play like last year we will win. Crowd will be a very important factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT