ADVERTISEMENT

Missing Players...Kids UK missed on that could've helped us...

Blue&White51

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 7, 2010
This is not a new problem by any means, but, several that come to mind that would've certainly helped UK (from back in the day to currently)...

-Kurt Barber, LB, USC,(from Tilghman) could've certainly helped UK

-William Pollard & Eddie Thompson, ATH, ND & IU, (both from Ft. Knox) could've sparked UK return game

-Chester Ford, FB, TENN, (from Danville) FB for UT that could've started for us

-Shaun Alexander, RB, ALA, (from Boone Co.) Alabama & NFL stud RB that apparently wasn't even recruited very hard by UK

-Travis Prentice, RB, Miami (OH), (from Louisville) One of the NCAA's all-time leading rushers & is the leading TD scorer...Big Back that would've helped UK

-Brandon Deaderick, DE, ALA (from E-Town) NFL D-Lineman that could've really helped UK

-Frank Moreau, RB, UL, (from Central Hardin) Stud back at UL that UK should've made a priority

-Eric Shelton (RB-FSU / UL), Michael Bush (RB-UL), (from Bryan Station & Lousiville Male), two NFL RB's that UK desperately needed in the Mumme era that weren't high enough priorities & went elsewhere...

-Leland Taylor, DT, LOU / UT (from Fairdale), DT (played for Ravens) that would have been a great addition to UK's D-Line

-Brad Lampley (OL), Bernard Jackson (DE) & 2 other LB's...(from Louisville Trinity & St. X) Shawn Johnson or something (another LB from Ballard whose names slip my mind at the moment) all 90's era Tennessee players that could've played for UK

-Luke Stocker (TE) / Channing Fugate (FB), UT, (from Madison Southern & Eastern KY), two current era players for UT that could've helped UK

-Marcus Green, DT, Ohio State, (from Louisville Male) signed w/ Ohio State & could've made a huge impact at DT for UK

-Tate Nichols & Brandon Newman, OT & DT, ND (from Central KY & Louisville)both still waiting to play at ND & could help UK

-Jeremi Johnson, RB, IU / WKU (from Ballard) big RB (270+ lbs.) who played for the CIN Bengals & could've helped UK

-Deuce Finch, RB, BC (from St. X) RB could've helped in the Derrick Locke era when he struggled to stay healthy

-D.L. Moore, WR, South Caroline (Bowling Green) Big, tall WR @ South Carolina that UK could use in this day & age when our WR's are under-performing

-Lamar Dawson, LB, USC (from Boyle Co.), played early for USC this year & is now starting at LB for them...#1 target last year, huge miss & huge loss

-Jon Davis,TE, IL (from Louisville Eastern) impact TE was committed to UK & bailed for IL close to signing day

-Damarcus Smith (QB-UCF / UL), DeVante Parker (WR-UL), Jamon Brown (DT-UL) all signed w/ UL / Charlie Strong last year & could certainly play for UK...

***Obviously, UK can't get them all, & some of these guys we did try to get...Unfortunately, there are many in this list & many more that aren't listed that weren't recruited hard enough (or at all) & ended up helping other out-of-state programs...The fact is, Florida, Georgia, etc. can lose in-state players all day...they have plenty of talent left to sign even after some good ones leave...In Kentucky, however, we don't have enough talent to let the good ones get away or go to Louisville...period...this must change for UK to get to where we need to be & to be brutally honest w/ you, hasn't happened at UK consistently (year in & year out) since the great Jerry Claiborne roamed the sidelines for UK...WE HAVE TO DO A BETTER JOB OF TARGETING, IDENTIFYING, RECRUITING & CLOSING THE DEAL W/ IN STATE TALENT...We can't make up an SEC roster of strictly Kentucky kids, but we damn sure don't need UL, UT, ND, Ohio State, IL, etc. building up their rosters w/ these kids...GO CATS!!
This post was edited on 11/16 11:22 AM by Blue&White51
This post was edited on 11/16 1:13 PM by Blue&White51

Some great names here, and alot of frustrating memories!

The fact is, not everyone wants to go to Kentucky to play football. Look at the majority of the schools on that list, USC, Tennessee, Ohio State...these are football schools. Football players want to play there.

Think of it like this, wouldnt Tony Delk have helped Tennessee? Or Patrick Patterson helped WVa? Im sure Pitt could have used Sam Bowie! And Georgia sure could have used Kenny Walker...imagine if you will Alabama basketball with Beldsoe and Cousins.

Those guys wanted to go to a basketball school so they left a state that didnt have the history and passion in basketball for one that did. The same can be said about most names on that list.

We dont have the history tradition or passion for football like the big boys, and that is one of the MANY reasons we are not and will not ever be a big boy. Dont kill me, this makes me sad too...

Coaches we missed on hurt us worse then players we misse on!!
I mean ther is a good chance we lose to Western Ky next year.

I agree with 888, we could have hired a coach who could have made a difference but Barney took the cheap way.

I mean wow do we have fans that NEVER forget, Kurt Barber 1987. I would really get off here and get a life, seriously.

There is also players who would have been better off with the playing time they would have got at Ky.

How about kids we signed that people thought weren't good enough to play here: Randall Cobb (too short, too slow, wants to be QB, etc.); Trevard Lindley (too skinny, unranked, etc.). How many decisions in each of our PERSONAL lives would we "do over" if we knew then what we know now? Recruiting involves risk taking. The last 10 years we "hit" more than we "missed" so this thread is moot IMHO.

Originally posted by UKlaw82:
I mean wow do we have fans that NEVER forget, Kurt Barber 1987. I would really get off here and get a life, seriously.
You're the one that supplied us w/ the year, chief...maybe it is you that should "get a life, seriously." I won't apologize for my input on UK Football / Recruiting...GO CATS!!

Originally posted by UKlaw82:
Funny, last spring he introduced himself to me as we were standing next to each other at an open UK practice. Told me he was there seeing how UK conducted their practices as he was coaching nearby - where I forget. I did remember him & wondered what he was doing back in KY, but hadn't thought of him for a long time till he spoke up. Certainly nice enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT