ADVERTISEMENT

minutes tonight

If Bradshaw does return once he gets going I wonder who is gonna lose the most minutes.
I think Burks losses all 16 or like 13 of those and maybe a few from mitchell to lighten how much he has to play especially as a 5. The real question is what happens when the second big comes back, I assume ugo is never gonna be in the rotation as he will likely be third back. The first likely just relegates Burks to Harts position.

I think Burks losses all 16 or like 13 of those and maybe a few from mitchell to lighten how much he has to play especially as a 5. The real question is what happens when the second big comes back, I assume ugo is never gonna be in the rotation as he will likely be third back. The first likely just relegates Burks to Harts position.
This. We can make it work with 1. But my fear is we get 2 and Cal doesn’t handle the rotation well bc as of now everyone other than maybe Burks (and he has played well but he would be a tier below his replacement)….everyone else deserves 20+ a game bc they all bring something different and make a a stronger, deeper, more difficult team to compete against. If Reed, Reeves, or Dilly gets cut to 15 or less then we are missing out on our best team on the floor in the name of “getting Edwards and Wagner going and building for ‘March’”.

Hang on. Some posters here insinuated that DJ and Edwards played 60 minutes each, and Shep never got in..
Honestly....these type of games are why season averages aren't that good of a barometer. It is the big games, SEC games and of course NCAA tournament games that mean a thing.

And we'll see how long it takes good ole boy network Cal to not play his boys and actually play the best players. Last year he utterly refused to play the bennie lineup and only got Reeves to 30 minutes around end of non conference...he does this about every other season over his tenure at UK.

Who really cares about minutes in these kind of games.

Reactions: fatguy87
This. We can make it work with 1. But my fear is we get 2 and Cal doesn’t handle the rotation well bc as of now everyone other than maybe Burks (and he has played well but he would be a tier below his replacement)….everyone else deserves 20+ a game bc they all bring something different and make a a stronger, deeper, more difficult team to compete against. If Reed, Reeves, or Dilly gets cut to 15 or less then we are missing out on our best team on the floor in the name of “getting Edwards and Wagner going and building for ‘March’”.
It will work. Everybody was stepping on their tongues in the Kansas game. Lot of folks needed a good blow in that. Folks get wrapped up too damn much in playing time. Worse than age group basketball where daddies wanted to fist fight over who started and who played how much.

Reactions: awf
Honestly....these type of games are why season averages aren't that good of a barometer. It is the big games, SEC games and of course NCAA tournament games that mean a thing.

And we'll see how long it takes good ole boy network Cal to not play his boys and actually play the best players. Last year he utterly refused to play the bennie lineup and only got Reeves to 30 minutes around end of non conference...he does this about every other season over his tenure at UK.

The Bennie lineup was a joke. CJ was hurt most of the time so the so called Bennie lineup was impossible to play.

And the minutes in the KU game would have been more like 2nite if certain players had stayed out of foul trouble.

Hang on. Some posters here insinuated that DJ and Edwards played 60 minutes each, and Shep never got in..
I think you know their minutes were questioned in the Kansas game when neither contributed anything yet played 54 minutes between them.

I think edwards minutes (along with burks) will likely, should likely take a hit when/if both Bradshaw and Z make it to the floor. Have yet to see anything from him that says first round NBA pick, let alone top 5. Todays nba takes anyone in round 2, otherwise don’t think he’s shown that either.

Reactions: K_TIME
I think you know their minutes were questioned in the Kansas game when neither contributed anything yet played 54 minutes between them.

I think edwards minutes (along with burks) will likely, should likely take a hit when/if both Bradshaw and Z make it to the floor. Have yet to see anything from him that says first round NBA pick, let alone top 5. Todays nba takes anyone in round 2, otherwise don’t think he’s shown that either.

Again, Dilly couldn't stay on the floor due to foul trouble and cal sat Reed in the first half due to the dumb 2 foul rule.

We really only have a 7 man rotation at present so logically if you remove 2 from that equation the other 5 have to play more.

I agree Dilly and Reed need heavy minutes going forward but they have to learn to play good D without fouling against power 5 ooc opponents and sec opponents for that to happen.

Reactions: WilmoreCat
Again, Dilly couldn't stay on the floor due to foul trouble and cal sat Reed in the first half due to the dumb 2 foul rule.

We really only have a 7 man rotation at present so logically if you remove 2 from that equation the other 5 have to play more.

I agree Dilly and Reed need heavy minutes going forward but they have to learn to play good D without fouling against power 5 ooc opponents and sec opponents for that to happen.
Cal also pulled dilly from the game during his amazing stretch he had in the first half and Cals dumb 2 fouls and you sit rule is his own rule. He also was in no hurry getting shep back into the lineup the 2nd half. When a player is in foul trouble you can’t just keep pulling them from the game as they never get into rhythm that way. Need to let your best players learn how to play with fouls early in the season as you want your best players on the floor when it matters most foul trouble or not.

Reactions: K_TIME

But when has Cal ever NOT played a guy who can score 25pts? Aside from someone like Juzang, who we really never knew would be THAT good, I can't think of any. The scenarios you guys keep thinking of are when he sticks with a top10 recruit over some one thats more of a bench player. Like BJ Boston over Dontaie Allen. This isn't the same thing. Reed and Dilly are already FAR better, and proven, over guys like Allen, and Willis and Whitney

Reed and Dilly played almost the same minutes as edwards and DJ. These guys aren't going to get 8mpg going forward.

At the start of tons of seasons..this stuff happen

-Jorts rides bench early….and then gets the job later season
—Khalil Whitney over Quickley early
- BJ Boston shoot-athon over getting Donte some looks
- Wenyen over Derek Willis early
- Skal forced to start snd he was painful to watch early

This stuff of certain kids get nods over certain dudes……it’s a hallmark of Calupari

At the start of tons of seasons..this stuff happen

-Jorts rides bench early….and then gets the job later season
—Khalil Whitney over Quickley early
- BJ Boston shoot-athon over getting Donte some looks
- Wenyen over Derek Willis early
- Skal forced to start snd he was painful to watch early

This stuff of certain kids get nods over certain dudes……it’s a hallmark of Calupari

Lol. Who the hell did we have that should have gotten Skals minutes? For as bad as we was, we had next to no interior players.

Cal sure seemed to play IQ down the stretch and leave Whitney out, didn't he.

Dontaie Allen was half the talent of Sheppard and Dilly, if that.

This is reaching. Reed and Dilly will get plenty of minutes.

Reactions: Cats192
Lol. Who the hell did we have that should have gotten Skals minutes? For as bad as we was, we had next to no interior players.

Cal sure seemed to play IQ down the stretch and leave Whitney out, didn't he.

Dontaie Allen was half the talent of Sheppard and Dilly, if that.

This is reaching. Reed and Dilly will get plenty of minutes.
Agree with all of this.

We didn't have anyone to take Skal's minutes.

Whitney left the team after being benched. Which wasn't that late into the season.

Allen isn't 1/10th of the player Reed and Dilly are. For all of the "If only Cal would give him a chance" talk, he shot 19% from 3 here. People act like "Well he needs more time to get into a rhythm." No. Elite shooters come off the bench and make shots. See Reed and Dilly.

Reed and Dilly will indeed get plenty of minutes. Reed got 26 minutes in a blowout game. Maybe Cal plays him more if the game were in any sort of doubt.

People love to sing their song of "He's not one of Cal's guys so he won't get the minutes." Dropping 25 points and shooting 70% probably gets you on the list pretty quickly.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Agree with all of this.

We didn't have anyone to take Skal's minutes.

Whitney left the team after being benched. Which wasn't that late into the season.

Allen isn't 1/10th of the player Reed and Dilly are. For all of the "If only Cal would give him a chance" talk, he shot 19% from 3 here. People act like "Well he needs more time to get into a rhythm." No. Elite shooters come off the bench and make shots. See Reed and Dilly.

Reed and Dilly will indeed get plenty of minutes. Reed got 26 minutes in a blowout game. Maybe Cal plays him more if the game were in any sort of doubt.

People love to sing their song of "He's not one of Cal's guys so he won't get the minutes." Dropping 25 points and shooting 70% probably gets you on the list pretty quickly.

Watch how quick some will switch to "why aren't Edwards and DJ closing out games?" Lolol

If Bradshaw does return once he gets going I wonder who is gonna lose the most minutes.
Burks won’t play once we get Bradshaw back. Mitchell’s minutes will come down as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens once Ivisic is eligible as well.

I don’t expect Onyenso to do much when he gets back. This may be a lost season for him.

Cal also pulled dilly from the game during his amazing stretch he had in the first half
That was for a breather. How long do you think guys can play all out before they need a rest? Cal took him out like 90 seconds before a TV timeout to try to steal an extra minute of rest for him. Cal literally said in the postgame guys were subbing themselves out for rest. I swear to god people here don't understand that sometimes guys need a breather and that they aren't robots.

Not every time a player goes to the bench is it because Cal is pulling them or benching them.

That was for a breather. How long do you think guys can play all out before they need a rest? Cal took him out like 90 seconds before a TV timeout to try to steal an extra minute of rest for him. Cal literally said in the postgame guys were subbing themselves out for rest. I swear to god people here don't understand that sometimes guys need a breather and that they aren't robots.

Not every time a player goes to the bench is it because Cal is pulling them or benching them.
He took him out during a 30 second timeout called by Kansas following the 3 by reeves. This was also at the 4:17 mark which at the next dead ball would have been yet another stoppage of play after 4;00. You don’t have to explain anything to me, I’m well aware of how athletes need rest. Funny though, guess you somehow defend cal for how he ran the team down during the sharp year while playing guys 35 minutes/game while injured.

Burks won’t play once we get Bradshaw back. Mitchell’s minutes will come down as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens once Ivisic is eligible as well.

I don’t expect Onyenso to do much when he gets back. This may be a lost season for him.

Thiero and Edwards are both logging minutes at the 4. It stands to reason for both of their minutes to be impacted too.

Thiero and Edwards are both logging minutes at the 4. It stands to reason for both of their minutes to be impacted too.
Thiero is only playing 25mpg. Mitchell is playing 35 minutes. I figure Mitchell will be down to about 30 when Bradshaw gets healthy. I really don’t want Thiero playing much less than what he is playing now.

When we get Bradshaw into the rotation, we’ve got 8 guys that should be in the rotation.

Everyone should be close to 25 minutes a game (give or take a few minutes). I wouldn’t play anyone over 30.

Keep them fresh throughout the season.

Cal should have learned his lesson with Grady. If he continues to play guys tons of minutes, it’s going to increase the chances of injury.

Cut guys back.

There is no reason to play our guards a lot of minutes when we have so many and all of them are pretty close in talent.

And once we get Bradshaw, there’s no reason to play Mitchell so much.

8 guys playing about 25 minutes a game is perfect for a team with 8 fairly equal players.

Especially if the guys getting less minutes are your best players (Sheppard and Dillingham).

Cal needs to even things out a bit.

When we get Bradshaw into the rotation, we’ve got 8 guys that should be in the rotation.

Everyone should be close to 25 minutes a game (give or take a few minutes). I wouldn’t play anyone over 30.

Keep them fresh throughout the season.

Cal should have learned his lesson with Grady. If he continues to play guys tons of minutes, it’s going to increase the chances of injury.

Cut guys back.

There is no reason to play our guards a lot of minutes when we have so many and all of them are pretty close in talent.

And once we get Bradshaw, there’s no reason to play Mitchell so much.

8 guys playing about 25 minutes a game is perfect for a team with 8 fairly equal players.

Especially if the guys getting less minutes are your best players (Sheppard and Dillingham).

Cal needs to even things out a bit.
8 Will work well as with one big you just replace Burks minutes and even them out with Mitchell so you have size. The real question is say bradshaw comes back a week before Ivisic. I think that will be fascinating to see how that is handled. You want to see what you have with Ivisic, but he would have to knock one of your top 8 out of the rotation and the least proven 3 right now would be Bradshaw, Wagner, Edwards, so idk how you work him into playing time.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT