ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe we already have a great scorer

They may not have had one ball dominant player, but UConn was absolutely loaded this year. Clingan and Castle are projected lottery picks. Newton and Spencer were 1st team All Big East and show up in the second round of some mock drafts, as does Karaban. Hurley is still a fantastic coach, but that wasn’t just a group of scrappy role players who overachieved by being well coached.

I’m just not sure we have that kind of ceiling as our roster stands right now. It’s fairly well balanced, yes, but ultimately made up of 3rd-5th year players who were 2nd and 3rd options at their past schools. I think we’ll be competitive, but the people going around saying we’re a Final Four threat are setting themselves up for disappointment in my opinion.
I still think you might be overselling UConn’s individual players and underselling their team somewhat. Wouldn’t you agree that UConn was greater than the sum of its parts? Newton developed into their “star” after many years of development (including his first 3 years at East Carolina) – but even Newton wasn’t a “go to” guy. Clingan was a good Big in large part due to his size, but still pretty far from being polished skill wise. Spencer developed into a really good college player (with his first 3 years learning on the job at powerhouse Loyola Maryland). Karaban and Castle were good role players. And then UConn had 3 guys off the bench that helped solidify them. So, they had good players, but it was very important that the pieces fit well and the coaching put them in the right spots. For those trying to tie UConn winning to “talent” defined as 5-star freshmen and draft boards, I don’t think they can make that fit.

We have no one to take his man off the dribble and create his own shot. This is what people mean by scorers. If you want to open up the ability to hit threes you gotta have a guy who can draw attention by getting to the rim. Hey mark pope knows we need two players like that so that’s good enough for me.
Obviously you haven't watch Krissa play. He creates on his on with MOST of his shots. He can shoot off the dribble, and drive. Watch his film, then come back and tell me he cannot create.

No. Uconn definitely had DUDES
I agree that UConn had DUDES (I would have loved for UK to have their guys). But if a person defines "dudes" to be guys that have the biggest impact on a college team winning against other top teams, I just don't think high school recruits (5-star or otherwise) generally fit that definition during their freshman season. I see many posters on here, however, that obviously do define "dudes" based on high school recruiting rankings. I thought when Pope took over that maybe the last remnants of that false facade would melt away. For example, I wouldn't trade any of UK's incoming transfer wings for the any of the high school recruits Calipari is bringing to Arkansas. And just to get some folks really cranked up in disbelief, I also wouldn't trade UK's wings for high schooler Darryn Peterson for next season.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
This has nothing to do with Cal. It has to do with UK getting past the first round and not having any studs to get there. The SEC is getting better, with players returning, and coaches with solid resumes.
Agreed. This has nothing to do with Cal.

It has to do with college basketball is going thru a massive change and we are changing with it instead of fighting the change.

At UK we are going back to the brand being UK. UK as a destination, not just part of the journey.

I like it. It’s a welcome change.

Covid sped this up. But it was already changing.

College basketball got almost instantly older and more experienced.

The boys against men was especially pronounced the last 2-3 seasons and it’s going to increase.

How will it play out going back to the brand being UK? None of us know.

I’m anxious to find out. Is this going to be the power basketball of Joe B?

That would be fun as long as we don’t peak in Dec like many Joe B teams.

Will it be the Pitino style? I don’t think so. The rules have changed so much to make that a non starter.

I think we are going to be very good. And very good right away.

Without a doubt we will have a team on the floor that we can be very proud of.

Agreed. This has nothing to do with Cal.

It has to do with college basketball is going thru a massive change and we are changing with it instead of fighting the change.

At UK we are going back to the brand being UK. UK as a destination, not just part of the journey.

I like it. It’s a welcome change.

Covid sped this up. But it was already changing.

College basketball got almost instantly older and more experienced.

The boys against men was especially pronounced the last 2-3 seasons and it’s going to increase.

How will it play out going back to the brand being UK? None of us know.

I’m anxious to find out. Is this going to be the power basketball of Joe B?

That would be fun as long as we don’t peak in Dec like many Joe B teams.

Will it be the Pitino style? I don’t think so. The rules have changed so much to make that a non starter.

I think we are going to be very good. And very good right away.

Without a doubt we will have a team on the floor that we can be very proud of.
I think we're at least one player from being a contender.

I think if you have multiple shooters/makers. A guy who can penetrate and kick out or finish and a viable post option coupled with good offensive schemes that are executed well, you can be highly successful.
Having a guy who can get his own is useful if not relied on too heavily and much better if there are multiple threats around him. Having 3 guys on the floor that can stretch the floor in a system designed to create open looks is a challenge for any defense.

I still think you might be overselling UConn’s individual players and underselling their team somewhat. Wouldn’t you agree that UConn was greater than the sum of its parts? Newton developed into their “star” after many years of development (including his first 3 years at East Carolina) – but even Newton wasn’t a “go to” guy. Clingan was a good Big in large part due to his size, but still pretty far from being polished skill wise. Spencer developed into a really good college player (with his first 3 years learning on the job at powerhouse Loyola Maryland). Karaban and Castle were good role players. And then UConn had 3 guys off the bench that helped solidify them. So, they had good players, but it was very important that the pieces fit well and the coaching put them in the right spots. For those trying to tie UConn winning to “talent” defined as 5-star freshmen and draft boards, I don’t think they can make that fit.
And for those still trying to tie talent with 5-stars or even Freshmen, aren't making that fit either.

UConn had a lot of talent, and bucket-getters that could close out games, willing to make the big shot. Yes, they also had effective role players along with good coaching, which is needed also. Both go hand-in-hand and can't live without the other.

Last edited:
I think we're at least one player from being a contender.
Could be? But I like what I see here. Less hero ball, more team ball. More winning for UK. Less auditioning for the show. College basketball has changed right in front of us. It's now far better to be the oldest team in basketball than the youngest. Just 10 years ago the oldest team was scoffed at because the reason they were old was because they weren't good enough to leave.

Now they can leave because of a personality or style misfit and they won't have to sit out or go broke. There's a sea change going on in college basketball right now. Some will like it and some won't. It doesn't make if you do or don't. It's changing. We can be ahead of it and ride with or be left behind. It appears we are ahead of it and hopefully we stay with the tide.

Formerly the only time a player had any say or control was during the recruitment process. Once signed they were livestock. Yeah, you leave, just sit out a year. or 2 years in some conferences.

Now you will have to pay attention to the needs and even whims of the players. There's going to be some bad along with that. But there's going to be far more good if managed well. It seems we have a coach in place now to handle this. Coaches that don't adapt will be phased out. My playing days are long gone and I played for some great coaches. Not a single coach I played for could coach today. Not because they couldn't change. They just wouldn't.

UK has remained on top of the college basketball world thru all the changes for a century. We seem well positioned to continue to be king.

And for those still trying to tie talent with 5-stars or even Freshmen, aren't making that fit either.

UConn had a lot of talent, and bucket-getters that could close out games, willing to make the big shot. Yes, they also had effective role players along with good coaching, which is needed also. Both go hand-in-hand and can't live without the other.
I agree.

They have 2 guys that very well may end up drafted in the top 10 and one is a freshman. Plus a third guy that will get drafted as well.

I have a hard time believing the 2nd best scorer on a team that didn t make the tournament is going to be the leader of another team that does.
Talking about Brea? If so then I agree. Depending on a player whose career scoring average is 7ppg to be your leading scorer is a recipe for disaster. Hes only averaged double digits once and that was only 11ppg. Hes played in 113 games in his career and only has 21 starts. If we have to depend on him to be anything more than a role player then it’ll be a very long season IMO.
Looks like UK will get him for two years though.
How? Hes already played 4 complete seasons.

They have 2 guys that very well may end up drafted in the top 10 and one is a freshman. Plus a third guy that will get drafted as well.

Talking about Brea? If so then I agree. Depending on a player whose career scoring average is 7ppg to be your leading scorer is a recipe for disaster. Hes only averaged double digits once and that was only 11ppg. Hes played in 113 games in his career and only has 21 starts. If we have to depend on him to be anything more than a role player then it’ll be a very long season IMO.

How? Hes already played 4 complete seasons.
If you are equating "being drafted" with being one of the best players in college basketball, then that's where we have a disconnect with each other. The two things are not necessarily (or even usually since the draft became flooded with OAD players) the same. One has to do with future potential and one is about how a player impacted winning this year (e.g., see college All-American lists).

Reactions: fatguy87
Why are we trying to compare our team to UConn? They were one of the best teams in the last 20 years. We can be worse than them across the board and still be a darn good team next season.

Obviously you haven't watch Krissa play. He creates on his on with MOST of his shots. He can shoot off the dribble, and drive. Watch his film, then come back and tell me he cannot create.
He can, it just seems like that is also when becomes a turnover machine so that will have to be reeled in some for him to be net effective rather than merely capable from a tools standpoint in that area.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The roster CMP has constructed in my opinion contains the requisite number of "dudes" and scorers to crack the 24-25 AP/ESPN top ten. Since I'm totally retired and the spring Bass fishing in Fla has slowed down I've spent a lot of time viewing entire game videos of Pope's commitments. I don't put much stock in highlight videos. My first pleasant surprise was the talent he has recruited for the 4 and 5 positions. Williams, Garrison and Carr compares favorably to any front line in the country. These three provide scoring, rim protection, great defense and the "beef" to dominate the 4 and 5 combos for any major college team. Only Alabama has the studs to hang with them. Butler and Kerr combined at the PG position exceeds the talent level and potential of any Division 1 team. They both play great defense, excel in the clutch and are excellent passers who display a level of maturity and understanding of the game which was not always evident with Cal's last five teams. High percentage 3 point shooters at the 3 and 2 positions is perhaps the greatest strength of this team particularly when you consider that Chandler is a Tyler Hero clone who I believe will be the leading scorer by January. Perry is the most underrated player on the team. People forget he was a HS varsity starter for 6 years. He started for Lyons county as a 7th and 8th grader. His BB IQ and shooting ability more than offsets his lack of "gee whiz" and razzle dazzel circus moves which many of Cal's "athletes" with little BB understanding often displayed. He is an incredibly smart player with an excellent court vision who is always in the right position on the court.
These are my views based on being a Ky fan and serious basketball observer for 73 years. I was 8 years old when I followed my first UK team, the Bill Spivey/Shelby Linville 1951 NCAA championship team. I am not a coach and was not a very good player and have no particular BB expertise other than what i alluded to above. However, let me hasten to add that I am a realist about UK BB not a bleary eyed optimist. The views I have expressed are my expectations of this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT