ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Update

I think many are misunderstanding Pope and the jersey thing. He's talking about getting guys who enjoy being here, excelling as a team, taking pride in what they do, holding each other accountable, and then looking back and saying "I am glad I played for UK, they changed my life" I stead of this "than you God and Calipari for my financial dreams come true".
This is lala land nonsense that is not based in reality at all. But, feel free to wish upon that star.

If Pope goes that route he will have 11 kids from Kentucky on the roster and a team that is worse than UL was the last two years.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think the focus needs to be on changing the culture here rather than worrying about recruiting classes. Those demanding the most NIL are not likey to be interested in playing for the name on the front of the jersey. They're likely to continue with the culture that we were all sick of. I think Pope is worrying about "fit" this year, and then things settle down with the new system, he'll try and get a star or two.
You really need to let go of the silly notion that guys are coming to play for the name on the front of the jersey. That started being phased out in the 90s, and was blown to pieces once NIL came about.

These kids want to get paid and they could care less whether it’s UK, Duke, or Toledo doing it. As long as those checks are clearing.

This is lala land nonsense that is not based in reality at all. But, feel free to wish upon that star.

If Pope goes that route he will have 11 kids from Kentucky on the roster and a team that is worse than UL was the last two years.
Bingo. Good thing is I don't think Pope is thinking that way at all.

He's doing what all coaches who will succeed in this time are doing which is make sure the players fit as a team on the court and put the best team together he can with having no access to HS recruiting pool.

It is difficult to keep up with what is going on right now. You can check this site in the morning and everything is just as cheery and bright as the sun coming up. Check it at noon, and there is some doom & gloom on the very things that were bright & cheery this morning. I understand that thing change, no on e actually knows what is going on except the coaching staff and the players involved. The rest is just speculation. Listening to KSR is akin to listening to some of the past know it all's (MM & Hoover). Right now, it does seem like UK is having some trouble on the recruiting front. We as fans can't understand that with all of the playing time and fun new style of play supposed to be played. Honestly, it does seem like right now ccc is rubbing UK's nose in the dirt like a bully would do, especially if he lands Davis. Hopefully, this week end will generate some good news.

A recruiting ? for anyone that might know.............Is the big Garrison kid still going to visit UK and ahs there been any further contact with the Duke transfer TJ Power? These are a couple of guys that I would truly like to see at UK.

I have to say I am worried about the same thing. People are pointint to every reason why this isn't the case but I think when the hire happened we ALL immediately thought this very thought. We will see how it all plays out. I fully support him also.
Nothing to say he can’t. He’s put together a great staff. A few years ago you could say the same thing about Hurley. He has a great personality. I see no reason he can’t. Unless he’s to honest.

It is difficult to keep up with what is going on right now. You can check this site in the morning and everything is just as cheery and bright as the sun coming up. Check it at noon, and there is some doom & gloom on the very things that were bright & cheery this morning. I understand that thing change, no on e actually knows what is going on except the coaching staff and the players involved. The rest is just speculation. Listening to KSR is akin to listening to some of the past know it all's (MM & Hoover). Right now, it does seem like UK is having some trouble on the recruiting front. We as fans can't understand that with all of the playing time and fun new style of play supposed to be played. Honestly, it does seem like right now ccc is rubbing UK's nose in the dirt like a bully would do, especially if he lands Davis. Hopefully, this week end will generate some good news.

A recruiting ? for anyone that might know.............Is the big Garrison kid still going to visit UK and ahs there been any further contact with the Duke transfer TJ Power? These are a couple of guys that I would truly like to see at UK.
Garrison has an OV with Arkansas this weekend reportedly.

TJ Power still sorting through his recruitment/haven't seen any updates regarding narrowing things down yet-maybe he has and just haven't seen it but others who have will share.

Recruiting is fine--just wait until May 2nd when all the talent that is in the Portal is known and then move forward, but think Cats will have at least 2 maybe 3 more locked in before then. They have a ton of OV's this weekend coming up so should hear something soon.

Ngl I’m getting kind of concerned but not fully there yet
Just me, but if we're still talking about this this time next week then there is much to be concerned about. We have two guards that are lights out shooters so that is a great start. Watching Pope's offensive philosophy I just don't understand how WF guy or Big Z wouldn't have jumped all over this. Like Oscar, Big Z was other verge of being a folk hero here.

I agree that the pool of players that don't like money is likely to be too small. I think what Pope means
is just the kind of player that plays hard and will be a good teammate if a better player beats them
out for a starting position or playing time instead of being mad about their hurt draft status.

Exactly why many were unimpressed with this hire. Xs & Os are great and all, but without the Jimmy's and Jo's, it doesn't matter. I'm 100% behind Pope, but.... nothing in his background proves that he can land talent at the level needed to win here.
Please go to YouTube and look at what he did in the BXII with BYU team this season.

Pope is probably trying to keep things quiet about players he's really in contact with because as soon as it gets public that Kentucky is interested other schools up their price. He's wanting to get them locked in first. The guys he's going to get won't be the types that will get you a high ranking recruiting class. The days of being the #1 or 2 class is over for Kentucky. And that's fine, how's that worked out for us lately? Our guys probably won't be lottery picks either, and that's ok too because that's not won many banners either lately. I really feel like when the dust settles he will have a really good TEAM with not any big stars. It may take a year or two for things to get rolling, at first it might be like Pitino's first couple of years. We just got to be patient and adjust our thinking about recruiting class rankings and the stars next to the players' name. The culture will be different and in an improved way.

Wonder if they picked up someone in Vegas, they didn’t stay long and are currently on the way back

WTF are you talking about?

I'm fine with Pope.

I think Mitch Barnhart is a jackass and Pope's success will be even more impressive in having to overcome how inept Barnhart is at his job.

You can like Pope and not like how Barnhart sold him to the fans in that KSR interview. Barnhart's comments of what impressed him are embarrassing for someone who works where he does and oversees the crown jewel program of the University.
Really, so the guy who put his career on the line and hiring Pope, if Pope succeeds, Barnhart wouldn't get any credit in your eyes and he would be inept ? HE took a huge chance on Pope, not Pope taking a chance on Barnhart. Without Barnhart hiring Pope at UK, there is no success for Pope. Your post is confusing as hell. You are having a really rough day, which is not normal. Are you drunk ?

Last edited:
Do not believe this, you will be wrong just like me. Wildcat Whiskey has already stated this was not happening and you could not possibly fly to Vegas, talk to a recruit and get back to Lexington in a days time.
They're halfway back to Lex right now. So, WTF? Weird post. They're not flying Delta, they're using private jets.

• Haha
Reactions: UKBloke
Do not believe this, you will be wrong just like me. Wildcat Whiskey has already stated this was not happening and you could not possibly fly to Vegas, talk to a recruit and get back to Lexington in a days time.
Go fly in a private jet ever and you will know what you just typed is 100% uninformed. They can do it, and will be back in time for a nice dinner lol.

Garrison has an OV with Arkansas this weekend reportedly.

TJ Power still sorting through his recruitment/haven't seen any updates regarding narrowing things down yet-maybe he has and just haven't seen it but others who have will share.

Recruiting is fine--just wait until May 2nd when all the talent that is in the Portal is known and then move forward, but think Cats will have at least 2 maybe 3 more locked in before then. They have a ton of OV's this weekend coming up so should hear something soon.
is Garrison still going to visit?

Pope is probably trying to keep things quiet about players he's really in contact with because as soon as it gets public that Kentucky is interested other schools up their price. He's wanting to get them locked in first. The guys he's going to get won't be the types that will get you a high ranking recruiting class. The days of being the #1 or 2 class is over for Kentucky. And that's fine, how's that worked out for us lately? Our guys probably won't be lottery picks either, and that's ok too because that's not won many banners either lately. I really feel like when the dust settles he will have a really good TEAM with not any big stars. It may take a year or two for things to get rolling, at first it might be like Pitino's first couple of years. We just got to be patient and adjust our thinking about recruiting class rankings and the stars next to the players' name. The culture will be different and in an improved way.
The problem with that strategy, is that once the losing starts (that first two years or whatever) it can be hard to keep selling the kids you have and new kids coming in, on the vision. In previous decades kids were coming for 3-4 years and didn’t really have the option of jumping ship so it wasn’t a big deal to go through the growing pains. Not saying he’s going to lose, not saying he’s not a great guy, but I do think that even if y’all have patience…it might be tough for the kids to have patience. Once you get in that hole it’s hard to dig out of. Like I said before we did the same thing with Mike Anderson and he died on the vine because he recruited “his kids” instead of the best kids. When he wasn’t able to make an immediate impact, started losing guys, recruiting got harder, and it was a never ending cycle. It’s important that he get out of the gate clean, and have early success or recruiting is gonna hurt him going forward.

He’ll be at Arkansas this weekend and I’d be moderately surprised if he doesn’t commit Sunday or Monday. Only thing that might hold him back would be if Aidoo commits instead. That’s not a “fact” or anything just saying I think he may be spoken for by end of the weekend. I will say if he hasn’t committed by next week and does take a UK visit, obviously you’ll have the inside track for him.

Do we need to dig up your embarrasing tweets during the coaching search? Yes, Matt Jones most of the time, knows nothing.
You can dig up whatever you want. Everything I said was true. They had their top 3 choices, got turned down by 2, decided not to wait on the other. I thought Drew would say yes, so did they. He didn’t.

UK admin informs Mitch there are guys they don’t want them to go after. That leaves three guys. They chose Pope. Exactly what we said if you actually followed what I said and not what people said I said

Really want this kid.

Get it sorted. After the Z nonsense with admissions it's getting real damn old. Not to mention the few football players we've lost due to it. UK is not Harvard.

There are football and basketball players on colleges in Mississippi that can't spell Mississippi. 😆

I'd assume if things go as Kentucky plans-they may move in a different direction. They are in on Osobor and Carr and maybe they go after that Baylor decommit JC player that Brooks recruited too instead?

Reactions: Aike
True story, not about UK.

Kid says school X is offering $500,000 (he's lying, it's $400,000)

He's hoping school Y will beat the fake offer. When they pass he sticks with school X. It's happening everywhere folks.

Ever think MORONS like you may be the problem. Give it a rest already.
Not at all funny. I wonder if coach Pope would laugh. This has been against the rules in their church for 100 years and you’re still making bad jokes. No I’m not close to being a Mormon but I’ve had business dealings with them. Very nice honest moral people. We could do worse if all our players were Morman.

Really, so the guy who put his career on the line and hiring Pope, if Pope succeeds, Barnhart wouldn't get any credit in your eyes and he would be inept ? HE took a huge chance on Pope, not Pope taking a chance on Barnhart. Without Barnhart hiring Pope at UK, there is no success for Pope. Your post is confusing as hell. You are having a really rough day, which is not normal. Are you drunk ?
I’ll make it easy to understand. Barnhart is a moron. Period, end of story.

You can dig up whatever you want. Everything I said was true. They had their top 3 choices, got turned down by 2, decided not to wait on the other. I thought Drew would say yes, so did they. He didn’t.

UK admin informs Mitch there are guys they don’t want them to go after. That leaves three guys. They chose Pope. Exactly what we said if you actually followed what I said and not what people said I said
Oh so it’s the UK admin’s fault for this mess of a situation then. UK seems to be full of incompetence.

Are you confusing him with someone else?

He’s not a mormon. He’s a black kid from Georgia looking to play at his fourth school in five years (after one year at Mississippi State, two at Georgia Tech, one at Utah).

So I’m not sure how the usual lame polygamy jokes would apply here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT