ADVERTISEMENT

Football ***** Mark Stoops Show News & Notes - Nov. 28 *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Hello HOB. With no Monday press conference today, it doesn't exactly feel like a Monday. But we'll still have UK head coach Mark Stoops doing his weekly radio show with Tom Leach, and I'll share all the major talking points here for those of you who aren't able to listen along live. Show starts at 6 ET...

* Everyone in the building knew how important it was to close the regular season out by beating Louisville. They take it very seriously over there. You'll never hear them downplay it.

* On portal decisions coming up... Stoops said he had many meetings today, and he came out of them very encouraged and optimistic about how the core of the team is shaping up. "I'm very excited about the future."

* Stoops had another great talk with Will Levis today. "We'll keep that between us for now." Said nobody will think any different of him no matter what he decides. "A tough guy who laid it on the line." Needs time to recover physically from a grueling season before making any big decision.

* Working thru the coaching staff decisions, Stoops said. "It's entertainment for a lot of folks, but it's real-life stuff for us." Says he's not prepared to release any information along those lines. Expects to treat staff respectfully, just like he would any kid on the team when a tough decision is required. "Ultimately, I have to do what's right for this university, and I know that, and I think I've shown that."

* Stoops getting a minor shoulder procedure done tomorrow, but says he'll be good to go for KY HS state championship games this weekend and hitting the road soon after.

* On Deone Walker vs. UofL... Dynamic player. Big-time player. Just fun to watch, Stoops says, almost scoffing at the kid's crazy potential. "The sky's the limit for him." (Editor's Note: I was in the end zone shooting a lot of Saturday's game, and he absolutely destroyed anyone in front of him attempting a 1-on-1 block. Even the double-teams were eventually blown up.)

* Caller asks what he's looking for in the next QB to replace Will Levis... Stoops says they have very good options on campus right now, good players, albeit inexperienced, good teammates, able to lead. High character. Now they need to see if the talent rises. In short, whether they're looking inside or outside the program, "the best talent we can get with the highest character."

* Caller wants to know what opponent Stoops wants to play in a bowl game. LOL. Stoops says he ain't takin' that bait. But they want to test themselves against the best, and hopefully someone with tradition.

* Asked if he plans to have a coach dedicated solely to special teams next season, Stoops says, "We shall see... but yes." (Laughs)

* Portal doesn't officially open until Dec. 5, Stoops reminds. He can't comment on what certain players might be saying on social media right now because next Monday is the actual date. But says he'll help any player try to find a better fit if it's not at UK.

* Caller asks about sequence where Weaver forced the fumble for 1st-and-Goal at the 7 and they couldn't get the ball in the end zone. Stoops says he thinks it's fair criticism that maybe they should have thrown on 1st down, but that's always one of those deals where, if it gets picked off, people will raise hell and say "You got Chris Rodriguez! What are you doing?!" They next opportunity, they did a run/pass option and got a TD out of it.

* Stoops says Barion Brown, Dane Key, Josh Kattus, and Jordan Dingle give them a great nucleus of skilled pass-catchers moving forward. Very excited about some other guys below them as well.

* Stoops praised Rich Scangarello for the plan against UofL, not letting them get sub packages on the field and wreak as much havoc as they have in some other games. Thought he kept their defense off-balance.

* Caller asks about it being such a busy time of year for coaches, if it's even more of a year-round job now. Stoops says it definitely is. "Oh shit, do I have a lot of work to do." ... "Am I allowed to say 'shit?'"

* Stoops praises former Cat Jon Sumrall for the incredible season that Troy has experienced. Says they constantly stay in touch. Always rooting for him.

* Confirmed Tayvion Robinson was hurt Saturday, unable to play.

* Texter asks if they maybe should not have used Keaten Wade's redshirt... Stoops says, no, that was one they needed to play. He got valuable experience this season as a backup. Something to build on. Too good not to play.

* Caller says he knows Stoops can't talk about the portal yet, "but are we gettin' a couple of tackles, a center, and maybe a guard?" :) Stoops thinks that's a bit unfair to the guys they have and feel good about. Some guys had to play out of position this year. Admited the staff may not have put them in the best spots to succeed. A lot changed when Dare Rosenthal decided to try the NFL. But Stoops says they feel VERY good about center and some other spots. They will seek some help in the portal, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News