ADVERTISEMENT

Man Coverage vs Zone Coverage Under Stoops

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
The debate that rages on a regular basis under the Mark Stoops regime is one we are all familiar with. UK gives up 8 yards on a 3rd-and-7, and the response is for the team to play more press coverage. This debate spiked following the bowl loss to Clemson.

Anyway, I was watching the NFL Draft last night and was struck by Saban describing how to defend LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels:

If you rush four guys and have a spy it means that you really can’t play zone. So now you have to play man-to-man, and if your cats ain’t better than their cats, you’ve got a problem playing man-to-man.

UK's (mostly) three star CBs can play man vs MAC schools, and a lot of UofL's receivers, but it's a risk doing it too much against a good chunk of SEC teams/bowl opponent with blue chip WR/TEs. This plays out tactically in different ways. The improved skill talent at Mizzou forces the tactical tweak for UK to play more zone and be more predictive against the Tigers. Playing man in only a few spots versus Tennessee, and South Carolina's Xavier Legette was decisive in the Tennessee and South Carolina games.

There's a thin line between 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, and 9-3. UK's relative lack of talent is why it plays more zone, because that improves the odds the team finishes near the 8 or 9 win mark. Talent almost always overcomes coaching at the HS and college levels.

Last edited:
Bama and UGA play tons of zone in college....Vast majority of the NFL teams play zone.

Zone scheme is fine.

Now UK/Stoops play way to much of rushing 3 DL bullcrap....you can rush 4 and still play a solid coverage zone behind. You can't just let a QB sit there for 5 seconds.

The debate that rages on a regular basis under the Mark Stoops regime is one we are all familiar with. UK gives up 8 yards on a 3rd-and-7, and the response is for the team to play more press coverage. This debate spiked following the bowl loss to Clemson.

Anyway, I was watching the NFL Draft last night and was struck by Saban describing how to defend LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels:

UK's (mostly) three star CBs can play man vs MAC schools, and a lot of UofL's receivers, but it's a risk doing it too much against a good chunk of SEC teams/bowl opponent with blue chip WR/TEs. This plays out tactically in different ways. The improved skill talent at Mizzou forces the tactical tweak for UK to play more zone and be more predictive against the Tigers. Playing man in only a few spots versus Tennessee, and South Carolina's Xavier Legette was decisive in the Tennessee and South Carolina games.

There's a thin line between 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, and 9-3. UK's relative lack of talent is why it plays more zone, because that improves the odds the team finishes near the 8 or 9 win mark. Talent almost always overcomes coaching at the HS and college levels.
People who clamor for M2M, if you check their comments, they generally know the least about FB. It's a grass is always greener comment. M2M takes exceptional athleticism and, maybe more importantly, exceptional pass rush. In the NFL(read a PFF article about this), for teams with elite CBs, M2M is consistently better, but gives up notably more explosive plays. For teams with good to average CBs, M2M is substantially worse and gives up many more explosive plays. I hope we have the talent one day to play more M2M because I grew up an FSU fan and watching Deion, Buckley etc was the best, but I also watched Billy Curry's defenses try it, which got us on the wrong side of the NFL draft videos too often.

Bama and UGA play tons of zone in college....Vast majority of the NFL teams play zone.

Zone scheme is fine.

Now UK/Stoops play way to much of rushing 3 DL bullcrap....you can rush 4 and still play a solid coverage zone behind. You can't just let a QB sit there for 5 seconds.
Our blitzes are always predetermined and the offense always sees them before our guys can get there.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I'd like to see more variety when it comes to coverage and blitz packages. Have to be better putting pressure on the QB. If you don't, probably doesn't matter what scheme You're running.

To say Kentucky plays zone due to a lack of talent belies the fact that the CATS continue to put DBs in the NFL. I do not think talent has anything to do with the defensive scheme we run. As K_Time pointed out most NFL teams play a base zone defense. The best defense I have ever watched was the 2015 Seattle Seahawks and that was a cover 3 shell very similar to what Stoops and White run.

I am a propanoate of this scheme for several reasons. In zone DBs line up facing the play as opposed to facing away from the play as the run down the field in man coverage. This results in two big advantages. One unlike M2M you can read and react to the run, so that defense is stronger against the run, and two you can read the QB and play the ball instead of playing the receiver. That results in more pass breakups and interceptions. The same people that bitch about "soft zone coverage" cheer loudly when we get a pick, not realize that the very scheme they complain about was what set up the pick.

Man2man may work OK against lesser competition, but the high level QBs we sometimes face in the SEC feed off of man coverage. If you show them man coverage on one of their talented receivers presnap in all likely hood the QB will check to that receiver on a deep ball and frequently rack up a big play.

The 3/4 multiple with zone also is the most versatile defense. You have lost of coverage options, you can move the safeties around to double certain receivers out of certain formations, and you can also bring a 4th rusher which can be a LB, a safety or a corners while still staying in a basic zone.

Over the years Stoops have been here we have ranked in the top 25 nationally in most defense categories in most years and hit the top 10 a few times, I don't think you do that with the schedules we face without knowing what you are doing. Those that constantly criticize the defense usually after the opponents has completed a big play while the DBs were soft simply do not understand defense, They see a play, think the coaches made a mistake and complain. To me it's highly arrogant for any fan to think they know more than coaches that are paid very well to do this for a living.

To say Kentucky plays zone due to a lack of talent belies the fact that the CATS continue to put DBs in the NFL. I do not think talent has anything to do with the defensive scheme we run. As K_Time pointed out most NFL teams play a base zone defense. The best defense I have ever watched was the 2015 Seattle Seahawks and that was a cover 3 shell very similar to what Stoops and White run.

I am a propanoate of this scheme for several reasons. In zone DBs line up facing the play as opposed to facing away from the play as the run down the field in man coverage. This results in two big advantages. One unlike M2M you can read and react to the run, so that defense is stronger against the run, and two you can read the QB and play the ball instead of playing the receiver. That results in more pass breakups and interceptions. The same people that bitch about "soft zone coverage" cheer loudly when we get a pick, not realize that the very scheme they complain about was what set up the pick.

Man2man may work OK against lesser competition, but the high level QBs we sometimes face in the SEC feed off of man coverage. If you show them man coverage on one of their talented receivers presnap in all likely hood the QB will check to that receiver on a deep ball and frequently rack up a big play.

The 3/4 multiple with zone also is the most versatile defense. You have lost of coverage options, you can move the safeties around to double certain receivers out of certain formations, and you can also bring a 4th rusher which can be a LB, a safety or a corners while still staying in a basic zone.

Over the years Stoops have been here we have ranked in the top 25 nationally in most defense categories in most years and hit the top 10 a few times, I don't think you do that with the schedules we face without knowing what you are doing. Those that constantly criticize the defense usually after the opponents has completed a big play while the DBs were soft simply do not understand defense, They see a play, think the coaches made a mistake and complain. To me it's highly arrogant for any fan to think they know more than coaches that are paid very well to do this for a living.
Stoops slow pace ball control offense clouds the stats of the defense. The defense ranking are inflated because of his style of offense.

Seems like effective pass coverage - regardless of athletic ability in the secondary - relies upon getting quarterback pressure/sacks etc

SEEMS like UK went from getting consistent pressure on QBs (3-4 yrs ago?) -- to hardly ever applying effective pressure now

D Line needs a dominant DE consistently showing up in the QB's face -- blitzes involving LB'ers (etc) has to be well calculated, variable in terms of scheme and FAST

I think we may have the best secondary talent year to year under Stoops that Ive ever seen at UK - but I totally agree with the OP that this is a critical emphasis area and we can't afford mistakes or semi-dedicated players in that area

I would love to see the secondary emerge under a Stoops team with their own identity - how fun would that be?

UK's done well putting DBs, mainly CBs, in the NFL recently. Phillips will be drafted today, Hairston a sure thing next year and really young talent coming on. Enough to earn Collins a bump to Co-DC.

Reactions: cathouse

Yeah I've been a vocal opponent of too much zone defense here. Its not as much the zone defense itself, its how its used. I understand all your points on why some zone has to be used against better opponents it the SEC and the dangers of man defense but just like in basketball I think you have to mix in both and the one thing you cannot do is play SOFT zone defense.

You cant play SOFT anything in todays game or you'll get eaten a live and by nature a zone defense can tend to be a softer style of play. So I'm not as much against the idea of zone defense as how its used. I HATE WITH A PASSION prevent defenses and soft zones.

What I want to see is a Defenses adopt the Matchup Zone concept from basketball and set up in zone but react aggresively to anybody coming into your area like its MAN defense. I love that combination. Instead what we seen all time are our guys standing flat footed in space in a spot where they are no more than a bunch of orange cones for a mid level QB to pass through and pick apart. Its a QBs dream.

Our (or anybody elses) safeties and corners stare in the backfield almost oblivious to the WR and TE coming in their area and only react after the QB has released the ball which most time is too late. If they would concentrate on the WR instead of the QB and matchp when they come in their zone I think it would change things.

So I'm all for zone if it an aggresive and physical and pressure is still put on the pass catcher on their routes and the QB cant look through the cones to the open windows to throw.

Last edited:
You cant play SOFT anything in todays game or you'll get eaten a live and by nature a zone defense can tend to be a softer style of play.

I see this posted alot but it just isn't true. In fact in cfb it's the opposite. In sec unless you have 4 elite man cover guys, you shouldn't play a man coverage scheme. Otherwise it's just going to be 500 yards passing every game.

It's all about execution. If you watch Max play zone, that's aggressive as hell. Then watch Jordan Robinson (thank God he's leaving) and of course that's soft but that's not as he's taught.

Our zone is aggressive as hell. The real problem is sometimes we out think ourselves and play too complex which causes players to overthink instead of react. Happened vs bama last year and ut two years ago.

The other part is stopping the run. Last few years, we haven't been able to consistently stop the run without safety help. That exposes our pass defense and makes us look soft when we're actually very aggressive but just guessed wrong. Look at the difference last year with silver vs without. Silver didn't play pass defense or even get a pass rush, but our safeties didn't have to plug holes

Get better up front and simplify our zones a bit and we'll be fine.

Reactions: postmodernprimate

Playing man in only a few spots against UT and USC Jr has been so decisive we have not beat either team since relying heavily on the soft zone/contain rush that CMS and BW have fallen in love with.

Keeping the score close is still a big L.
I guess the NFL likes all those 3 star DBS because of their lack of talent and lack of cover skills.

We will continue to lose games against the top tier teams as long as we play this chicken crap unagressive, non-attacking defense.

All so we can brag that we didn't allow a lot of "explosive plays".

Playing aggressive defense at least gives you a " chance" to beat teams more talented than you.

But allowing 8-12 yards a play up and down the field is a losing game plan all day long against better teams. They simply take what you give them and March right down the field.

That has got to change if UK is ever going to break the current ceiling under CMS.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Stoops slow pace ball control offense clouds the stats of the defense. The defense ranking are inflated because of his style of offense.

Frankly, Boz, absent actual analysis, I would have agreed, at least somewhat, with this statement.

But running the numbers since our defensive awakening in 2018/19, the opposite might well be true.

I concluded the following in another (related) thread:

“In all normal seasons since 18/19, Kentucky has averaged 45th in TOP, but has averaged 23rd in Scoring Defense and 21st in Total (yardage surrendered) defense. Again, one could more rationally argue that our excellent defenses since 2018 have improved our TOP rankings by holding teams to fewer clock-draining scoring drives, than the reverse.

Yes, we are marginally above average in TOP since 2018, but are nationally excellent in defense, consistently ranking in the top 15 percent of FBS for total yardage and points surrendered.”

Playing man in only a few spots against UT and USC Jr has been so decisive we have not beat either team since relying heavily on the soft zone/contain rush that CMS and BW have fallen in love with.

Keeping the score close is still a big L.
I guess the NFL likes all those 3 star DBS because of their lack of talent and lack of cover skills.

We will continue to lose games against the top tier teams as long as we play this chicken crap unagressive, non-attacking defense.

All so we can brag that we didn't allow a lot of "explosive plays".

Playing aggressive defense at least gives you a " chance" to beat teams more talented than you.

But allowing 8-12 yards a play up and down the field is a losing game plan all day long against better teams. They simply take what you give them and March right down the field.

That has got to change if UK is ever going to break the current ceiling under CMS.
I don’t agree with a lot of this - but differences in opinion is a good thing! - I’ll just respond to the narrative the defense is not aggressive.

It’s aggressive. Stoops and White mix coverages as much as they mix pressure. The analysts talk about it during games all the time (DL drops into coverage as NB pressures on zone blitz).

I don’t have the percentage of times UK sent five or more defenders in 2018-2023, nor do I have the same numbers for the rest of the SEC, but I suspect UK would be middle of the pack to top 5 over that time.

Reactions: Deeeefense
I don’t agree with a lot of this - but differences in opinion is a good thing! - I’ll just respond to the narrative the defense is not aggressive.

It’s aggressive. Stoops and White mix coverages as much as they mix pressure. The analysts talk about it during games all the time (DL drops into coverage as NB pressures on zone blitz).

I don’t have the percentage of times UK sent five or more defenders in 2018-2023, nor do I have the same numbers for the rest of the SEC, but I suspect UK would be middle of the pack to top 5 over that time.
Go look at the defense in the last 4 minutes of each half and in the second half of ANY game we are leading in the second half and get back to me on how aggressive we are on pass rush and man coverage.

Especially at the end of games when we are trying to protect a late lead.

And dropping the Dline into pass coverage while blitzing the NB is NOT an all out blitz.

That is just trying to rush the QB with a 200 lb. back instead of a 325 lb. DL who can't cover their shadow in space on pass coverage.

You're right about the confusion the defense creates by changing up coverage and rushers. They zone blitz with the Jack, and JJ is petty good at it, but when Josh Allen was here he was elite. It must drive QBs crazy dealing with it, the QB thinks the DE is out of the play only to have a speedy CB or safety in his grill in the next blink. Didn't big Deone get a pick dropping back once last year?

Reactions: YaketySax
You're right about the confusion the defense creates by changing up coverage and rushers. They zone blitz with the Jack, and JJ is petty good at it, but when Josh Allen was here he was elite. It must drive QBs crazy dealing with it, the QB thinks the DE is out of the play only to have a speedy CB or safety in his grill in the next blink. Didn't big Deone get a pick dropping back once last year?
DW had no interceptions last year.

Maybe. We’ve also put several secondary guys in the draft relative to what production appears to be in numbers so that may suggest we play too soft much too often. I will also point out that this isn’t a UK stoops decision. It was the lone gripe about him as dc at FSU. Their fans were like ‘hey we like him but having among the best athletes in the country and running conservative stuff all the time is nonsensical’

Don't recall a pick by DW last year but do recall his absolutely leveling an opponent's TE across the middle 20 yards downfield.

They were actually too aggressive last year. Had to be because once silver got hurt, we couldn't stop the run. Was downhill from there. Nearly every big pass play we have up was play action.

Not stopping the run is a pass defense killer.

I would like to see a shift back to the 4-3. Much better pass rush with our current talent on the dl and at linebacker

• Haha
Reactions: Jondale72
Another luxury about Josh Allen is you can afford to blitz less because he alone is worth two or three rushers. I don’t think uk blitzed less having said that.

Go look at the defense in the last 4 minutes of each half and in the second half of ANY game we are leading in the second half and get back to me on how aggressive we are on pass rush and man coverage.

Especially at the end of games when we are trying to protect a late lead.

And dropping the Dline into pass coverage while blitzing the NB is NOT an all out blitz.

That is just trying to rush the QB with a 200 lb. back instead of a 325 lb. DL who can't cover their shadow in space on pass coverage.
I think we are talking two separate things, maybe? You seem to be focused on late game “prevent defense” issues and I’m talking more holistically.

(I agree with some, but not all, of the late game “prevent” discussions fwiw)

To add to the zone vs. man debate, consider our greatest defensive effort under Stoops: 7th nationally in scoring defense in 2018/19, and possibly the most zone defense for a full season.

We had Chris Westry and two other corners who were 6’ 3” (or taller) and filled massive space with speed and length.

And we are loading back up!!

To add to the zone vs. man debate, consider our greatest defensive effort under Stoops: 7th nationally in scoring defense in 2018/19, and possibly the most zone defense for a full season.

We had Chris Westry and two other corners who were 6’ 3” (or taller) and filled massive space with speed and length.

And we are loading back up!!
Was Josh Allen on that team?

Yes but he wasnt superman yet. Safeties that year we're very good.

Iirc
That WAS his superman year. Last year at UK.

Successful zone defense is reliant on heavy QB pressure.

Allen provided that. Haven't had one since then.

Thus, zone D gets torched because QB and WR have all day to run routes and exploit openings in the DB zone coverage.

That WAS his superman year. Last year at UK.

Successful zone defense is reliant on heavy QB pressure.

Allen provided that. Haven't had one since then.

Thus, zone D gets torched because QB and WR have all day to run routes and exploit openings in the DB zone coverage.

I thought it was a year after so my mistake.

Obviously pass rush helps either coverage, however it's much more crucial in man. Without pressure, man gets torched.

Zone keeps dropping which means things open underneath because the depth. That's why reaction and eyes on qb are so important. It can still mean teams march down the field but definitely not torched.

I thought it was a year after so my mistake.

Obviously pass rush helps either coverage, however it's much more crucial in man. Without pressure, man gets torched.

Zone keeps dropping which means things open underneath because the depth. That's why reaction and eyes on qb are so important. It can still mean teams march down the field but definitely not torched.
One thing we can all agree on, Josh Allen was a great pass rusher which helped our entire defense to have a special year.

Credit to the coaching staff for recognizing his talent early on and developing him into a first round draft choice.

Hoping the Robinson kid turns out to be Josh Allen on steroids as our next great pass rusher.

Hoping the Robinson kid turns out to be Josh Allen on steroids as our next great pass rusher.
And he's not the only possibility.

Josh Allen had 18 sacks in 2018/19, but only 6 the season prior.

This subject, zone vs. man, has heated up, and been repeated since the Gator Bowl.

On a Third and 18 late in the game, we dropped 8, and they completed a pass for 16 yards. This play contrasts strongly, to a similar situation, late in the game against Iowa on January 1, 2022, when we brought a defensive back, who grabbed the waist of the Iowa QB as he released it, causing a pick by Deondre Square:

Pretty similar situations. In the Citrus we led by 3 with 53 seconds, and the ball was snapped from the 40, on 2nd and five for a first down on the 35. In the Gator, the ball was snapped from the fifty, on a third and 18, with us leading by four.

Why did we bring extra pressure in the Citrus and not the Gator?

I don't know, but the Coaching decision that immediately followed the 16 yard completion deserves greater questioning, in my opinion. It was 4th and 1.5 yards to go, IIRC, after the 16 yard pass, and we had at least one time out (I just looked: we had all three). I was shouting for us to call it, but they lined up quickly, and dove their big back for a gain of two. The game was over if we stuffed their back. And our defensive front is hardly mashed potatoes . . . maybe a time out would have re-energized the defense for a simple dive play?!?!

But all things considered, it is a lot more fun debating/discussing our relative performances in Bowls called "Gator" and "Citrus," than was true in my first 53 years of fanship, when I watched the rest of the SEC play in Florida Bowl games, whilst we prayed for Nashville, or Memphis, and rarely got to either one.

Third and 18 late in the game, we dropped 8, and they completed a pass for 16 yards

That was because Jordan Robinson was clueless and should've never seen the field. I know there were injuries but no way he was out best available. Glad they finally put him in the portal.

In terms of pass rush, keep an eye on fearbry. I really think he showed high level technique in limited opps. That after it being the first year he really focused on that role. He's one to watch imo

That was because Jordan Robinson was clueless and should've never seen the field. I know there were injuries but no way he was out best available. Glad they finally put him in the portal.

In terms of pass rush, keep an eye on fearbry. I really think he showed high level technique in limited opps. That after it being the first year he really focused on that role. He's one to watch imo
Agree on the Robinson issue.

A simple time out would have remedied that problem.

CMS took 3 TO's and L to the locker room with him.

I'm hoping Coach Hood can help with some of these game/score/time situations at the end of each half that CMS has always struggled with.

Agree on the Robinson issue.

A simple time out would have remedied that problem.

CMS took 3 TO's and L to the locker room with him.

I'm hoping Coach Hood can help with some of these game/score/time situations at the end of each half that CMS has always struggled with.

I agree. Can definitely blame the coaching for the personnel. He should've never ever been on the field. I was concerned when several players went in the portal but he remained. Finally he went in.

Zone scheme is fine.

That's the issue as I see it. Over and over, play great on 1st and 2nd to create the 3rd and long, and then you drop 8 and have no pressure on an SEC caliber QB who has all day to put it wherever they want to. It has happened over and over again to the point I felt a lot better on 3rd and short giving us the best chance to get to 4th down.
Also, not every QB in the SEC is Jayden Daniel's who has wheels and an arm so there's no need to put a spy on every QB, so it's not exactly the same argument that Saban was making.

This was the first a single player- Robinson lost the game in a team
I would like to see a shift back to the 4-3. Much better pass rush with our current talent on the dl and at linebacker
4-3 not as good in pass coverage. Our main problem is the coaches have been unable to recruit the quality and quantity of OLB that are needed for the system to be successful.

This was the first a single player- Robinson lost the game in a team

4-3 not as good in pass coverage. Our main problem is the coaches have been unable to recruit the quality and quantity of OLB that are needed for the system to be successful.

Offense and coen lost that game. Robinson gave up the key plays on that last drive.

For all the soft defense talk, we blitzed a cb the play just before Robinson giving up a 16 yard pass. We probably blitz dbs more than anyone in the nation. Too much imo.

Reactions: Deeeefense
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT