ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Speculate Offense

With an uptempo offense, we will hopefully average about 65 shots per game. And CMP loves the 3. So if we average 30 threes, let’s do some quick ciphering…Ha!
  • 30 threes at 40% is good for 36 points.
  • 46% of the remaining 35 shots is good for another 32 points.
  • 68% (our guys aren’t the strongest at FTs) of about 20 free throws is another 13-14 points.
So this team should average 81-82 points. Now with some real defense…imagine that…we should have a solid record this year.

I know…Im overthinking. But I’m just setting here bored and typing on my phone. Lol. Im still stoked about the possibilities. What say you?

Last edited:
Fueger said they want 35 attempts per game from 3. So if 40% is achieved, that would be 42 ppg just from 3. I imagine on some nights when the offense is clicking against weaker opponents, we will possibly see a few 100 point games
If we did in fact shoot 35 threes, that would up the average to about 83-85 points. 100 point games are pretty special. Lots of unknowns. We shall see….

He turned BYU INTO A SIX SEED! I mean come on. There’s two or three guys on their team last year who would get big minutes on this team. Robinson, Hall And Saunders. That’s it. We have three times the talent here now and we’ll be in the hunt for a top three seed as of this moment. Add a couple more guys and we could be really good. Shoot we’re really good right now with him as coach and this staff.

With an uptempo offense, we will hopefully average about 65 shots per game. And CMP loves the 3. So if we average 30 threes, let’s do some quick ciphering…Ha!
  • 30 threes at 40% is good for 36 points.
  • 46% of the remaining 35 shots is good for another 32 points.
  • 68% (our guys aren’t the strongest at FTs) of about 20 free throws is another 13-14 points.
So this team should average 81-82 points. Now with some real defense…imagine that…we should have a solid record this year.

I know…Im overthinking. But I’m just setting here bored and typing on my phone. Lol. Im still stoked about the possibilities. What say you?
Can you draw 20 free-throws when shooting only 35 shots from inside the arc ??

I don't really think it's good to predict 40% from 3.

Only two teams last season shot 40% from three. Us and Purdue.

Only Colgate reached that level the previous year.

Only South Dakota St and Colgate again reached that the year before that.

We'll prob be a better than avg three point shooting team but I think 40 might be stretching it.

He turned BYU INTO A SIX SEED! I mean come on. There’s two or three guys on their team last year who would get big minutes on this team. Robinson, Hall And Saunders. That’s it. We have three times the talent here now and we’ll be in the hunt for a top three seed as of this moment. Add a couple more guys and we could be really good. Shoot we’re really good right now with him as coach and this staff.
More talent…it would appear so. But this will also be everyone’s first year playing together. Note: BYU averaged 81.something last year. Held opponents to 70. Not too shabby at all.

Reactions: JASUN74
I don't really think it's good to predict 40% from 3.

Only two teams last season shot 40% from three. Us and Purdue.

Only Colgate reached that level the previous year.

Only South Dakota St and Colgate again reached that the year before that.

We'll prob be a better than avg three point shooting team but I think 40 might be stretching it.
Agreed. 40% is a stout number. But we have several guys posting north of 40 last year and several more just under. Again, just speculating. We could also be at or above 70% FTs.

Agreed. 40% is a stout number. But we have several guys posting north of 40 last year and several more just under. Again, just speculating. We could also be at or above 70% FTs.

I'd love to see it happen and we definitely do have some guys with track records of being good 3 point shooters. So hopefully.

More talent…it would appear so. But this will also be everyone’s first year playing together. Note: BYU averaged 81.something last year. Held opponents to 70. Not too shabby at all.
Ohh I agree with you 100%. I do believe these guys we have though, have been around long enough to pick up the system really fast and every player on this team is going to be willing to take the roll that best fits and give the team the best chance to win. I definitely think every minute anyone plays for us will be earned during practice and they will fight for each other. I honestly think it won’t take them long to be looking like they’ve played together all their lives. The experience we have is extremely valuable and exciting for sure. I hope I’m right about team first, I’m sure I am with these guys so far. I also 100% think we have guys who can and will rise to the top and can turn into a bigger scorer if needed. We have several of those guys. I absolutely love this first team of Pope and I know it’s going to keep getting better and better. Wish he had more time this year but he’s done a great job with who was left. Thanks, it’s going to be a great year I believe.

Reactions: MasonCoBlue
We won’t be getting abused physically. We have some grown ass men now.
By abused I mean up 3 with 3 min left they’ll just turn it into a ft contest and trade if we only shoot 68%. Like IU does everytime they are losing.

By abused I mean up 3 with 3 min left they’ll just turn it into a ft contest and trade if we only shoot 68%. Like IU does everytime they are losing.
Carr is around 78% , Brea is 87.5% , Kriisa is 77.5% , Chaz Lanier if we get him is 88% , Noah and Perry are in the 80's for FT %. Butler shot poorly from FT's last year because to start the season he had an injured shooting hand, the 2 years prior was over 73% .

in crunch time just be careful with Oweh, Garrison and Williams who are 65% ft shooters

Carr is around 78% , Brea is 87.5% , Kriisa is 77.5% , Chaz Lanier if we get him is 88% , Noah and Perry are in the 80's for FT %. Butler shot poorly from FT's last year because to start the season he had an injured shooting hand, the 2 years prior was over 73% .

in crunch time just be careful with Oweh, Garrison and Williams who are 65% ft shooters
I guess I didn’t realize Brea was that high percentage. Makes me feel little better. Need at
least one or two that can make
them at the end.

I do not know, and certainly hope it’s not the case, but I’ve read that Brea and Kriisa are not solid defenders. It will be interesting to find out whether they are, or not, and how they will be used down tight stretches.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info about Butler's hand and previous years. His % last year had me a little worried.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

You make a great point. Initially I was worried about FTs, as the initial commitments didn't look promising in this area. I suppose that thought just carried along in the old memory banks. Ha. But with recent additions, we are looking much better. Oweh, Garrison and Williams really need to put in the work on FTs every minute that they can.

I too was once pretty lousy at FTs and it only took a few embarrassing moments for me to put in the work. Within a cpl months, it became a rather easy and practically automatic shot. All about mechanics and repetition...at least for me anyway.

Last year we were 77% and this team might be right there with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT