ADVERTISEMENT

Lent Prep Thread - Best Fish In Kentucky

Pass time is really good but the last time we were there we never got served. Only one server who was also bartender and a real beyotch besides. Maybe they hired more?

I’ve heard Charlie’s fish market in Lex is great but the one time I went I found out it’s closed on Sunday’s

Just came here to post this. Our daughter lives in Louisville and the Fish House -- right past the old Hasenours in the Highlands -- is her goto place for fish.
Pretty good, no doubt.

In Middletown, take your grandmother to the Cheddar Box and have their fish sandwich. Pretty good. I think the crust is crushed Lays.

The scrod at the Fishery was good when Sandman owned the place. Not sure if it still is as good or if the place is even open.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Fried crappie is, IMHO, the very best fish, period.

Damn, we used to go to Green River Lake and Cumberland al the time, and we almost always had some crappie fillets in the freezer!!
Love crappie and I'll give a shout out for bluegill too. You have to catch a mess of them, but they're good eatin'. Same for walleye if you can get them. Culver's serves a good walleye sammidge/dinner for Lent.

Love crappie and I'll give a shout out for bluegill too. You have to catch a mess of them, but they're good eatin'. Same for walleye if you can get them. Culver's serves a good walleye sammidge/dinner for Lent.
Oh yeah, bluegill are right there with crappie; they're delicious. About the only time I ever fished for "gills is when I taught my young sons to fish.

Now all we fish for is largemouth, and it's almost time to start throwing top waters like a buzz bait or a frog.

There is just nothing like it when a big old bucket mouth comes up and inhales that lure!!!

Oh yeah, bluegill are right there with crappie; they're delicious. About the only time I ever fished for "gills is when I taught my young sons to fish.

Now all we fish for is largemouth, and it's almost time to start throwing top waters like a buzz bait or a frog.

There is just nothing like it when a big old bucket mouth comes up and inhales that lure!!!
Michigan lake perch!

One of my friends in Tennessee fishes exclusively for gills. He's got a nice kayak and hits the local lakes every weekend, weather permitting with his fly rod and ultra-light combo. He posted a pic last year of a nice (3-4 lb) largemouth he caught and captioned it "This nasty largemouth hit my popper. I threw him back."

Took my 97 yr old Pop to Hungry Pelican Wed in Lou. He loves that place. Great white fish platter. Fried onions were good.

To Ascension’s fish fry tonight and it was terrific. Apparently, they get their fish from a parishioner who owns Hungry Pelican. Very good. $2 beer as well. Fries, Onion Rings, green beans, Mac & cheese and surprisingly baked potatoes plus a bake sale for desserts. Had baked fish as well. Enjoyable evening.

The Friday fish fry events at Good Shepherd parish in Frankfort are incredibly popular, because the fish is of such high quality. Their fish always tastes fresh because it has only been frozen once from catch to fryer. Highly-recommended, but go early … expect long serving lines and wait times.

Last edited:
O’Bryan’s tavern. Definition of dive bar but man their fish is killer!
Mike linnigs sucks
O'Bryan's went to crap after he turned it over to his daughter a few years ago........Highland Park Masonic Lodge on Pinecroft Drive in Okalona has good fish.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Pretty good, no doubt.

In Middletown, take your grandmother to the Cheddar Box and have their fish sandwich. Pretty good. I think the crust is crushed Lays.

The scrod at the Fishery was good when Sandman owned the place. Not sure if it still is as good or if the place is even open.
Still open and family owned. Closed on Mon & Tues. It’s quietly been there a long time which says a lot.

Has a senior fish sandwich combo - that might be good for you if you knew the original owner?

Kidding.

That building was a DQ way back.

We used to take my M-i-L to Jim's Seafood in Frankfort. That was good. She had horrible gums and fried fish was about the most she could chew. Not exactly the most glowing recommendation, but it mattered to her.

Reds fish house in Owensboro had the best catfish. Never had anything close since
A very popular catfish place where I grew up (Scottsville, near Bowling Green) is called Harper's. Even though a good 20-30 minutes off I-65, when I was growing up, any weekend night you would see several cars from Michigan and Indiana there, people on their way to Florida or the Gulf Coast stopping there for their famous catfish.
Now there is a place a bit more in town (Earl Dumplins) that makes nearly identical catfish. So either is a good option.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Still open and family owned. Closed on Mon & Tues. It’s quietly been there a long time which says a lot.

Has a senior fish sandwich combo - that might be good for you if you knew the original owner?

Kidding.

That building was a DQ way back.
I think a guy named Paul Sandman used to own the place, unless my memory is mixing stories. When I was in law school, that was a regular pickup once ever other week when we wanted a treat.

The guys putting weights in their fish get 10 days in jail and must forfeit their boat that they won in a prior tournament. lol

RIP lent.
palm_2021-03-22_22-28-13.jpg

Reactions: AustinTXCat
A very popular catfish place where I grew up (Scottsville, near Bowling Green) is called Harper's. Even though a good 20-30 minutes off I-65, when I was growing up, any weekend night you would see several cars from Michigan and Indiana there, people on their way to Florida or the Gulf Coast stopping there for their famous catfish.
Now there is a place a bit more in town (Earl Dumplins) that makes nearly identical catfish. So either is a good option.
I tried Harper's the other day. It was damn good.

Reactions: JonathanW
Had a camp on the lake down there for years. Went to Harpers almost every week. Either fish or Tbones(back when they were affordable) with a baked potato as big as a football. Memories!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT