ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Bird to UK?

Someone at UK missed up big time.
That “someone” was Joe B Hall. It was all his call not to offer Bird.

But, in his defense, nobody knew at that time how insanely unbelievably good Bird was. Even folks in Indiana didn’t yet realize it (didn’t even start for the Indiana HS all star team). He was largely a secret until he finally suited up at ISU.

That “someone” was Joe B Hall. It was all his call not to offer Bird.

But, in his defense, nobody knew at that time how insanely unbelievably good Bird was. Even folks in Indiana didn’t yet realize it (didn’t even start for the Indiana HS all star team). He was largely a secret until he finally suited up at ISU.
Dang. That definitely put’s Tubby pissing away Chris Lofton in a whole new light.

Just watched a video where Bird and Isaiah are being interviewed together and they ask Bird about what happened at IU (he left and ended up at Indiana State). What he says is heartbreaking.

"Well I wanted to go to Kentucky but they quit recruiting me..."

Ouch

Reactions: mailman85
Oscar just tweeted that a source inside the program told him Bird didn't have the academics an out of state player required while another source told him that wasn't the case.

The story goes. When Larry came to UK for a visit he was really shy and timid. Hall didn’t think he could handle the UK fish bowl and spotlight. So he didn’t offer. What could have been.
Yep. Even Joe B himself once said this when he was asked why he didn’t offer Bird.

He said Bird barely spoke a word on his entire official UK visit, so Hall figured a kid that quiet and shy wouldn’t fit in Lexington were UK players get such constant media and public attention.

Joe B made a judgement call. He always said he regretted it. But who know what might have happened? Would Bird have stayed at UK or left like he did IU? But say we didn't lose anyone and had Bird with Robey, Phillips, Givens, Lee and added Macy? Oh my!

And maybe he would have stayed at UK. Bird and Robey became best friends on the Celtics. Why not be best friends at UK?

The story goes. When Larry came to UK for a visit he was really shy and timid. Hall didn’t think he could handle the UK fish bowl and spotlight. So he didn’t offer. What could have been.
What weird logic by Hall. Some of our best players have been shy off the court: MKG, SGA, Turner, Patterson, and even Mashburn early in his UK career.

Joe B made a judgement call. He always said he regretted it. But who know what might have happened? Would Bird have stayed at UK or left like he did IU? But say we didn't lose anyone and had Bird with Robey, Phillips, Givens, Lee and added Macy? Oh my!

And maybe he would have stayed at UK. Bird and Robey became best friends on the Celtics. Why not be best friends at UK?
I've read that Bird was only 6'6' as a high school senior, and Coach Hall thought he was too small and too slow to play in the SEC. Of course, no one could have predicted he will grow to 6'9" over the next couple of years. Remember that Bird was in the same high school class as Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Jack Givens, and James Lee. Coach Hall thought he already had enough power forwards in the class. Larry Bird was never quick, but his knowledge of the game and instincts were second to none, and these overcame his lack of quickness. Still, if Bird hadn't grown to 6'9" after high school, he likely would not have excelled the way he did at the college and pro level. A 6'9" highly skilled but slow player like Bird can do things a 6'5" or 6'6" can't do. I also think that there would have trouble finding enough playing time to keep Bird, Phillips. Robey, and Lee happy. as they were all power forward type players.

Reactions: KYExtemper
@UK90 , how many more titles would Bird have brought to Lexington?
I think Bird would’ve won three titles here in 75, 77 and 78 (when we won it anyways). At least we would’ve been absolutely …by far and away with nobody else even close …the nation’s best team those three years.

And we would’ve had at least one (and maybe two) undefeated perfect season in 78 (and likely 77) …thus taking the “last perfect season” bragging point away from IU fans. And the 78 team would now be remembered as the greatest team in CBB history if you added Bird.

Oh, and btw, that would also subtract a title away from UCLA’s count and add two to ours. Meaning we’d now be tied with UCLA for most titles ever. Kinda crazy the difference just one offer might’ve made on CBB history.

Last edited:
Yep. I was in diapers at the time, but I've talked to plenty of people that echoed this about Bird not being close to Larry Legend yet. I've also talked with a couple people that know Larry. One that even played with him. They've said there's no way Bird was gonna go out of state and that far from home. Although Terre Haute isn't a whole lot closer to French Lick than French Lick to Lexington.

Yeah, but....if Bloomington was "too big" for him, then I'm sure Lexington would have been too. So he would have still gotten home sick and left.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
More likely than not that he transfers out of UK before even playing a game here if IU was overwhelming for him. If he does come he would have played here in the 74-75 through 77-78 seasons. We already made the title game in 2 of those 4 years. 1 (maybe 2) more titles?

Yeah, but....if Bloomington was "too big" for him, then I'm sure Lexington would have been too. So he would have still gotten home sick and left.
100% correct. UK would have been even a bigger fishbowl and he likely would have left quickly. However, Knight regrets not acknowledging Bird's discomfort and not intervening on a personal level. He just had the attitude of stay or go I don't give a sh*t. Who knows, maybe a UK the environment with his teammates and coaches would have made him feel more at home.

I had just always assumed it was Knight's assholery that drove him off...

From what Bird’s said in the past, the issue wasn’t that IU was too big as much as just too “different” …especially economically.

He was a dirt poor kid from a rural broken home who apparently showed up at IU with only a couple pair of jeans and T-shirts. And then suddenly found himself surrounded by rich kids from the Indy and Chicago areas with designer everything. That new world made him so uncomfortable that he just wanted return home to the world he understood.

It’s actually quite similar to the reason kids from deep Eastern Kentucky often turn tail and run home after tasting the bigger world. UK might’ve been a better environment than IU in that respect (perhaps our boosters might’ve helped him out with the economic woes), but alas, we’ll never know.

I had just always assumed it was Knight's assholery that drove him off...
I saw a documentary about him that when he was on campus as a student briefly and I believe his first wife mentioned him passing Knight on campus and Bird saying hello to him, but Knight snubbed him and kept walking. I believe he was used to being close with his coaches so that was a bit of a jolt for him and helped contribute to his feelings in Bloomington.

Reactions: ukfan1622
I think UK was in the process of changing from an all-white team and chose Jack Givens and James Lee to play and I think the three would have been in the same class and same positions.

From what Bird’s said in the past, the issue wasn’t that IU was too big as much as just too “different” …especially economically.

He was a dirt poor kid from a rural broken home who apparently showed up at IU with only a couple pair of jeans and T-shirts. And then suddenly found himself surrounded by rich kids from the Indy and Chicago areas with designer everything. That new world made him so uncomfortable that he just wanted return home to the world he understood.

It’s actually quite similar to the reason kids from deep Eastern Kentucky often turn tail and run home after tasting the bigger world. UK might’ve been a better environment than IU in that respect (perhaps our boosters might’ve helped him out with the economic woes), but alas, we’ll never know.
Haha, Larry sounds like me when I enter the midwest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT