ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

Fantastic addition to the team. Who wouldn't want the starting PG of arguably the 2nd best team in college basketball the last 2 years?

What’s his palm size and standing reach??? That’s really what us fans want in a player. Whats this garbage about playing defense and hitting game winning shots to go to the National Championship?? If he’s not demanding 2 million dollars and on ALL mock draft boards, we don’t want him!

What’s his palm size and standing reach??? That’s really what us fans want in a player. Whats this garbage about playing defense and hitting game winning shots to go to the National Championship?? If he’s not demanding 2 million dollars and on ALL mock draft boards, we don’t want him!
What I think people need to understand is this guy vs. lets say Dillingham as a Freshman, he is gonna be much better in a one year scenario. Dillingham although exciting was atrocious on D and defensive breakdowns killed that KY team last year.

Friendly UofL fan opinion here that I'm sure no one will care about.

This kid is one of the best guards in the transfer portal and I absolutely hate that you all got him. One of, if not the best on ball perimeter defender in college basketball. This kid is hungry and will make everyone around him better. IMO, he will be your starting PG and with the addition of Amari Williams, you have one of the best perimeter defenders as well as a top interior defender. Potential here for an elite defense. Now, you need some shooters to surround these guys and I'm sure Pope is aware of this.

They won 26 games and reached the Sweet 16 where they went down to eventual national champ UConn.

Is that not good enough for you? Did you prefer our first round flame out to Oakland?

Which is much better than UK. It's just odd the main selling point is that one shot two years ago.

Since Pope has been on the job for 2 weeks, I’m going to assume that he has a better idea of what fits what he wants to do than we do.

I kind of get all the gnashing of teeth, but mostly I don’t. At least not until Pope has constructed a full roster and we see what that looks like on the court. I’m sure we’ll all get plenty of chances to criticize later.

That's the hope. The concern is they felt this was the best available after striking out on 3 or 4 top targets; and they'll just do the best they can with who they get.

This weekend will make or break this coming season. Given the recruiters I feel fine about the next few years.

Which is much better than UK. It's just odd the main selling point is that one shot two years ago.

That's the hope. The concern is they felt this was the best available after striking out on 3 or 4 top targets; and they'll just do the best they can with who they get.

This weekend will make or break this coming season. Given the recruiters I feel fine about the next few years.

Being concerned at this juncture feels like wasted energy. But maybe that’s just me.

Strawman much? That is not “the main selling point”, and I’ve seen nobody but you make such a claim.

The main selling points are that he’s been the starting point guard and integral to one of the country’s best teams over the last few years …one which has also done very well in the NCAA tournament (and WAY better than UK). And, oh yeah, also that he might be the best perimeter defender in the entire country (is reigning conf DPOY and three time conf First Team All Defense).

The fact that he also hit that final four buzzer beater is just a nice little bonus on top.

Why are you so angry? Lol, I just don't want the dude to start. I like the pickup, but as a bench player. He has NCAAT experience and is a great defender. But he can't be your starting PG. Just can't. Not in Pope's zoom action offense that predicates all 5 positions being able to hit the 3.
I get what you’re saying about shooting 3s but Williams doesn’t shoot the 3 well 33% if we get Great Osobor he shoots it at 21%. Agree the PG will need to be better at hitting behind the arc so teams don’t pack it in on our bigs.

The team definitely needs some better 3 point shooters, but Butler is a good get.

As a fan you don’t have to think everything is wonderful or take a crap on everything. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle as they say.

We are getting out recruited by Duke, UConn, and Kansas but we have a brand new coach who couldn’t bring an entire recruiting class like Cal did from Memphis.

I think some are worried because of what happened with BCG and also were used to 5 star freshman with Cal.

Strawman much? That is not “the main selling point”, and I’ve seen nobody but you make such a claim.

The main selling points are that he’s been the starting point guard and integral to one of the country’s best teams over the last few years …one which has also done very well in the NCAA tournament (and WAY better than UK). And, oh yeah, also that he might be the best perimeter defender in the entire country (is reigning conf DPOY and three time conf First Team All Defense).

The fact that he also hit that final four buzzer beater is just a nice little bonus on top.

Obviously you missed all those posts and tweets

He will absolutely be a starter. Started in a National Championship game.
I think it depends on who else Pope signs. I could see Butler playing a rich man’s Dominque Hawkins-type role if Robinson opts to stay in the draft and we sign both the OU and Saint Mary’s transfers.

Dislike our PG not being a great 3 point shooter only a 30% 3 point shooter last year while we had Reed shooting over 50% also has never even avg 10 PPG in any of his first 4 years.
Solid player but meh for me.

Some things you’ve listed are objectively verifiable. Like free throwing shooting. You have called the dude a good free throw shooter, but that’s clearly not the case. He has shot 67.5% in his career and a woeful 59.4% on 2.6FTA last year. The fact that you’ve called him a good free thrower shooter when that’s objectively untrue makes me question the rest of your assessment.

You also say he’s a “fair” outside shooter who is working hard to improve. Well, on the same number of attempts from deep, he went from 34% to 30% from JR to SR year.

“Passes well” - What does that mean? He’s a PG who averaged 3 assists his senior year.

Clearly the dude was brought in for his defense and it’s okay to just acknowledge that. Anyone who has expectations for him to contribute much on the offensive end just needs to look at the numbers. They tell the story.

I’m not excited about this dude at all unless he plays about 15mpg.
The fact that you are a troll who will not post under your real poster name makes me question your agenda.

Reactions: 1war
Thank you very much for the backstory! Kentucky will take good care of him. Best of luck this year to the Aztecs – hopefully, I'll be able to catch a few SDSU games and vice versa. 🤘
I will be watching Kentucky often this season.

By the way, the Aztecs are going to be very interesting this year. A little different look than previous years. 2 young 7 footers and a 6-11 center with a year of experience.

A 7 footer who showed up out of nowhere via Africa. 7 footer who is more of a forward offensively and a very good shot blocker down low.

Reactions: Aike and JPFisher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT