ADVERTISEMENT

KSR on Cal's lack of self awareness with fans at the end.

giphy.gif

Thanks. That was interesting and relevant. You’ll get headache GIFs from the crowd who pouts when other people talk about things they don’t want to talk about. But you should consider that a badge of honor.

On the booing. I will not boo Cal. Can’t say I’ll resent people who will, it’s just not my thing. Now I did cheer when he left town and I’ll continue to cheer every time someone mentions it. That was sweet and needed and a long time coming. I will also cheer Rick when they announce him next season, both when they do the ‘96 anniversary thing and when they announce him as the Saint John’s coach. There was a time when I wouldn’t have.

Thanks. That was interesting and relevant. You’ll get headache GIFs from the crowd who pouts when other people talk about things they don’t want to talk about. But you should consider that a badge of honor.

On the booing. I will not boo Cal. Can’t say I’ll resent people who will, it’s just not my thing. Now I did cheer when he left town and I’ll continue to cheer every time someone mentions it. That was sweet and needed and a long time coming. I will also cheer Rick when they announce him next season, both when they do the ‘96 anniversary thing and when they announce him as the Saint John’s coach. There was a time when I wouldn’t have.
It won't happen, but when Cal comes to Rupp, when he's introduced, instead of booing or cheering, I'd love for the crowd to just go completely silent. I think that would get to him more than boos. He loves attention, even if negative.

I wouldn't hesitate to boo him because he worked hard for it and I wouldn't want his efforts to be in vain.

I know I don't live in the world of major athletics like Calipari, but to have underachieved like he did in the last few years (early exits, 10-loss seasons, home losses, etc.), and not have any self-awareness to know you have at least in some way disappointed the fans, is perplexing. If I was failing at my job like that, one of the things at the forefront of my mind would be what people are thinking of me. Maybe it says something about his pride or priorities.

There was always a disconnect between Cal and the fans.

I know everyone knows the "my first priority isn't the legacy/bbn" qoute, but the first time I read it I literally lol. Then I wondered, if that's my reaction how's the rest of college bb feel about it? I'm guessing there was a lot of wtf's and lol's. Especially among coaches.

The ppl that buy those ticket prices are going to boo. Itll be that atmosphere on gameday, dont kid yourself itll be built up like the superbowl for a week and will definitely be talked about at preseason media day. St johns coming back will be much more friendly

If you would have told me 10 years ago I would be a bigger Rick Pitino fan than a John Calipari fan in the year 2024…I would have laughed in your face…but here we are. The truth keeps slowly revealing itself like one of those “guess the person” games where they remove a puzzle piece at a time until the entire face is revealed. And it’s even worse than I imagined. If Cal really thought Matt Jones was that influential…that’s wild.

If he was at a different school, the Rupp crowd might be little more forgiving. But he left Kentucky to go to a conference rival. That's giving folks legitimacy to boo. It's a green light. That said, the Rupp crowd will be mostly classy during introductions. Gloves come off after that. If he gets T'd up, Rupp will explode!

Just seems crazy to go these last few years and be shocked that the fans were unhappy with the results. Is he just saying he's shocked, but hes lying and knows he wasnt performing? Is he truly buying his own BS about Draft night being bigger than wins? Was he tanking on purpose? Or did he just get lazy and conplacent in bis coaching ability.

Just very unreal. You really don't see this sort of thing in sports, ever. You don't see coaches or players regress like this, for seemingly no reason. This team could have won a F4, fairly easily IMO.. and he'd probably have fixed his image, and retired as one of the better coaches over the last 15 years. Kentucky fans still would be unhappy with the last 6 years.. but a Final4 helps ease that. He retires, or heck, probably gets another crack at a F4 again next year (if he stops being stubborn) and he really could have cemented his legacy, rode off into the sunset.

.. if he just stuck to what worked early on and maybe prioritized winning just a LITTLE bit more.

Just seems crazy to go these last few years and be shocked that the fans were unhappy with the results. Is he just saying he's shocked, but hes lying and knows he wasnt performing? Is he truly buying his own BS about Draft night being bigger than wins? Was he tanking on purpose? Or did he just get lazy and conplacent in bis coaching ability.

Just very unreal. You really don't see this sort of thing in sports, ever. You don't see coaches or players regress like this, for seemingly no reason. This team could have won a F4, fairly easily IMO.. and he'd probably have fixed his image, and retired as one of the better coaches over the last 15 years. Kentucky fans still would be unhappy with the last 6 years.. but a Final4 helps ease that. He retires, or heck, probably gets another crack at a F4 again next year (if he stops being stubborn) and he really could have cemented his legacy, rode off into the sunset.

.. if he just stuck to what worked early on and maybe prioritized winning just a LITTLE bit more.

Said it a few times, but the dudes ego is the size of the Atlantic. He could have repaired his relationship with the fans, and made some philosophical changes. He became like The Rock in WWE, though. Don't ever question the 'Great One.'

Dude put a shit-stain on his legacy for sure, and all over what? His inability to change, because he had to show everyone in this state that he could win his way. Ego maniac.

Said it a few times, but the dudes ego is the size of the Atlantic. He could have repaired his relationship with the fans, and made some philosophical changes. He became like The Rock in WWE, though. Don't ever question the 'Great One.'

Dude put a shit-stain on his legacy for sure, and all over what? His inability to change, because he had to show everyone in this state that he could win his way. Ego maniac.
Mike,
If he's a narcissist as some believe. then he's not going to change and would also be prone to view those who oppose his ideals as being the problem.
More than a few have been victims of narcissistic people .
They can't change because they live in a box.
I believe a lot of leaders have big egos as they're purpose driven.
But the great leaders also have people that hold them accountable when they start to veer off course.
Those that refuse accountability soon self destruct.
Hope this makes sense.

It’s just another sad case of what could have been. Much like if pitino didn’t bolt for the nba if Calipari hadn’t lost his fire or mojo or balls or whatever u wanna call it. Point being after 96 who would have thought we would be where we are now? After Cal won with Davis who would have thought we would be where we are now? The silver lining is IF Pope works out he is where he wants to be and maybe we can sustain it longer than we have previously.

MJ makes a relatively short topic into something really, really huge. I fully expect him to come out with an episode on "do you tie your shoes into a double knot or not?".
Had to put that segment on the show because it was about ksr. Lol . Thinks cal believes ksr was the reason fans didn't like him . Smh

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT