ADVERTISEMENT

Kids versus Men

How many times over the last 7/8/9 years did we see our freshman look really good during the regular season & then tighten up and choke at tournament time..... More that I want to remember
Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm referring to. Nobody questions their talent, but there are things you have to experience. Aside from the physical maturity those freshmen usually lack, the mental and emotional maturity is usually lacking. This is why it's so hard to take a team of mostly freshmen very far in the NCAA-T. We already know you have to get some breaks to go deep. Mature players have usually learned how to make some breaks for themselves and their teams.

I would make something clear- I loved this team from 2023-24. We had talent coming out our ears. Give that same exact team even 1 more season together and they're likely at least a Final Four team. Based on what? The growth of those freshmen, would be sophomores, is what would push them over. But how did those true freshmen respond to their first game in the Dance? They all choked. Our older players carried the team as far as they could in that game, but they needed help.

Reactions: bfawns
That was one of the biggest complaints most seasons under Calipari. We always had talent, every season we had guys with NBA potential. But when we would have to play against a junior and senior laden team, or teams with grad student transfers, I always knew we were in for a long day. Talented kids are still kids. Less talented full-grown men with experience will usually have the edge.

This is one reason I'm excited to see the UK team this upcoming season. Aside from the fact that we're gonna have a real x's and o's coach and staff running the show, we also will be the team with some juniors and seniors on the floor at all times.

Calipari loved having 5 freshmen on the floor at once. Saw it as a badge of one and done honor, or something. But when was the last time UK played 5 seniors or grad students at one time? I'm guessing it was under Tubby, maybe the team that included Hawkins, Fitch, Daniel's, et al.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to not being the team full of kids this season. 😀
Same. I grew tired of watching our spaghetti armed one-and-dones get out muscled physically and out toughed mentally. Looking forward to watching players who have benefited from maturation, nutrition, training and coaching at the collegiate level.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT