ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs. Arkansas: Who wins

Games aren't played on paper and a lot can and will change from today until next year when they play. But, as of today, Arkansas would certainly be the favorite based on roster construction right now.
But there's one constant, John Calipari...just sayin'.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

As the rosters stand now, Arkansas only has Davis as a shooter.

Zone them and they will not be able to shoot or coach out of it

Reactions: BlueSince92
What do you mean by that first part and what significance does it have? Every year - especially lately - many teams have brought in a significant influx of new players via the portal or freshman. Who cares if a handful of guys were on the team previously if the majority is new players? Don't try to make it out like it's some built in excuse for UK. We don't need excuses. We're going to be better next year than we have been in several.

And to that point, how many of Arkansas roster from this past year will be on the court for them next year?
By better, do you mean go further in March? Or be better in the regular season?

Theres no way Pope is going to beat Barnes, Pearl, and Oats in the first year with a bunch of transfers from garbage schools. Cats are going to lose more regular season games.

By better, do you mean go further in March? Or be better in the regular season?

Theres no way Pope is going to beat Barnes, Pearl, and Oats in the first year with a bunch of transfers from garbage schools. Cats are going to lose more regular season games.

Yeah I don't think we'll be bad by any means. I think Pope took a less talented team last season to a 5 seed.

But we were a 3 last year. We had a pretty good "season". We were a good team that happened to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

I have no idea what to expect next year, but I'd be shocked with a 1,2 or 3 seed lol.

The other thing is that we now have a coach that both game plans and understands the significance of rivalries. I bet Pope is already breaking down film, figuring out how to emphatically tap that @&#.

Yeah I don't think we'll be bad by any means. I think Pope took a less talented team last season to a 5 seed.

But we were a 3 last year. We had a pretty good "season". We were a good team that happened to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

I have no idea what to expect next year, but I'd be shocked with a 1,2 or 3 seed lol.
I think adding a guy like Lanier/Robinson would change things.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
The home court advantage means a lot, our defense has been upgraded and Arkansas will be relying on several freshman, I like our chances. We should be able to exploit their defense, historically speaking. There is no doubt Pope will have Kentucky ready to play in an exciting new style of offense. Kentucky was loaded with back court talent last year and opposing teams lit us up from 3-point land, I don't see Arkansas all of the sudden being able to stop it, because Cal will not do anything different.
Arkansas will only sign three freshmen.

Right now, this question is as meaningless as preseason NCAA tourney seedings (which might be the most useless discussion point of all time; way worse than preseason Top 25)

not sure but I expect it to be fun, I like Arkansas’s chances. I just think they have more talent overall, if they get Wagner and Pryor it gets really hard.
Kentucky as constructed is more talented than Arkansas right now. There is a big discrepancy at PG and in the paint favoring UK. You’re going to find out for yourself that Cal won’t gameplan or make in-game adjustments and this makes the difference even greater.
You’re just the latest mealy-mouthed fanbase that wants to taunt Kentucky. I’ve lived through most of the SEC at one time yapping it up, Arkansas is just late to the game.

Reactions: ukfan1622
What y'all don't understand is that they will play over others that are more deserving than them. That's how he operates and how he gets them to sign with the school he is at, he has to keep his promise to certain ones, you'll see.

Could be true but that same logic still netted them a 3 seed last season.

He'll probably do the same exact thing at Arkansas but he still might have some success with it.

I think Cal is going to run into the same issue tho. To me, its not really about who he starts but rather college basketball has just gotten older post COVID and the whole transfer portal. It's increasingly harder for freshman these days.

I actually think that was a big reason he left. He met with Mitch who wanted to do things differently (clearly showing with the hiring of Pope) and Cal was like no thanks. It was about control more than anything IMO.

If nothing changes in Calipari's offense and defense.....it boils down to the "better" TEAM.

He recruits.....and thinks that is the ultimate answer to building a team until he meets Oakland and their best 3 point shooter hits 30 points worth of 3s...... If Calipari could've figured out how to erase those 30 points, UK would've been in the next round.

Far too early to even guess.
Neither roster is complete and we still have yet to see how CMP will coach this group
While how Calipari coaches is known, it wouldn’t shock me at all if he and staff prepare for this one game
So ask again in December. I think we will have a better idea then

The Cat’s win going away. The previous coach’s butthole will be puckered so tight you couldn’t drive a sewing needle into with a 3lb sledgehammer.
The Arkansas players will sense his anxiety and will be anxious as well.
We seen this crap from the prior guy for 15 years. That’s how you lose to Oakland and St. Peter’s.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Granted, both teams are not complete yet.
But let's go position by position (10pt scale at each).

PG: Fland vs Butler & Kriisa, I have to give UK the advantage here (7.5-6.5) with Butler being an elite defender, Kriisa a good shooter, and Fland doesn't have a backup yet (unless Davis slides over)
SG: Davis & Richmond vs Brea & Perry & Chandler, unfortunately Ark has advantage here (9-6.5), Brea is a very efficient scorer, but Davis is all-around good at nearly everything (I'm surprised he is not in the draft), and while we have backups they are unproven & not as highly rated as Richmond
SF: Theiro & Knox vs Oweh, Ark has a slight advantage here (7-6.5) but that may go away with a big addition by UK, but for now it may come down to who can shoot better Theiro or Oweh as both offer a lot more than shooting.
PF: Z vs Carr, is close but I'll give UK the slight edge (7-6.5) both need backups and those may determine who is better at this position, Z has more upside, Carr is proven and thus the higher floor.
C: Aidou vs Williams and Garrison, I'll give UK the slight edge here (8-7.5), I like Aidou a lot but I don't think there is much difference in him and Williams, and Garrison is as good a backup C as you can probably get (but it would be nice if one of the 2 for UK could shoot from outside)

Total that is Ark 36.5, UK 35.5, so very close. And I think Ark has their starting 5, so need to fill in the bench, but I hope we add maybe our best piece.

In-game coaching I think we all would agree to give UK the advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT