ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Volleyball (off topic)

ORCAT

All-American
Jan 7, 2003
Lexington, KY
UK volleyball beat #9 Arkansas 3-0 tonight to clinch no less than a tie for their 7th straight SEC title tonight. Game was at Arkansas as well. They play Florida at home Saturday in Rupp at 1:00 with Seniors being honored at 12:45. They can claim the conference title outright with a win and knock Tennessee to #2. They are so fun to watch and Coach Skinner has been amazing. They started the season poorly losing a number of matches against some of the top teams in the country but are on a huge wining streak right now. I was down on them early but admit I was wrong. Very young team with a great future. Maybe another national title coming up soon? If you don't know much about volleyball go to Rupp and check them out, they are a fun team to watch.

Last edited:
UK volleyball beat #9 Arkansas 3-0 tonight to clinch no less than a tie for their 7th straight SEC title tonight. Game was at Arkansas as well. They play Florida at home Sunday in Rupp on senior day and win the title outright with a win. They are so fun to watch and Coach Skinner has been amazing. They started the season poorly losing a number of matches against some of the top teams in the country but are on a huge wining streak right now. I was down on them early but admit I was wrong. Very young team with a great future. Maybe another national title coming up soon? If you don't know much about volleyball go to Rupp and check them out, they are a fun team to watch.
Next match vs Florida is Senior Day is this Saturday 11/25 1pm Rupp Arena

And your right. Very good team

Reactions: bevcat and ORCAT
Bc my daughter played competitively in high school and being an alum… I’ve probably followed UK volleyball closer than many on here.

Coach is a great coach but also a really good dude. Daughter has been at camps for years, and Skinner has always been personable. We also share common friends and makes for good conversation.

This team started poorly due to the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation and injuries to a couple key players. It forced him to go young early in the season and team took its lumps. Now those freshmen have improved greatly and upper classmmen are healthy. UT and Arky are two very good teams and UK went 3-1 v them and won 15 straight.

Current Massey rating is top 3 for SOS and UK will likely be seeded somewhere from 6-8 overall (2 seed in a region). Rupp changing courts for Dec. 2 means they likely won’t host but won’t matter with this crew. I’d expect them to make a serious run at a return to the final 4.

Good for them!

Bc my daughter played competitively in high school and being an alum… I’ve probably followed UK volleyball closer than many on here.

Coach is a great coach but also a really good dude. Daughter has been at camps for years, and Skinner has always been personable. We also share common friends and makes for good conversation.

This team started poorly due to the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation and injuries to a couple key players. It forced him to go young early in the season and team took its lumps. Now those freshmen have improved greatly and upper classmmen are healthy. UT and Arky are two very good teams and UK went 3-1 v them and won 15 straight.

Current Massey rating is top 3 for SOS and UK will likely be seeded somewhere from 6-8 overall (2 seed in a region). Rupp changing courts for Dec. 2 means they likely won’t host but won’t matter with this crew. I’d expect them to make a serious run at a return to the final 4.

Good for them!
Do you think the redo of Memorial will have a big impact on his recruiting?

Craig’s done well even with the old facility but a brand new venue could help or does it even matter with HS girl volleyballers?

Reactions: bevcat
Fun team to watch. I watched the match last night and UK dominated a good, experienced Arkansas squad at Arkansas. I think they will be tough in the tournament

Reactions: bevcat

Good for them!
I'm a former high school volleyball coach and UK Alum so I share your great interest in UK volleyball and have for many years now. I love being able to just sit back in the stands and enjoy the game and our team rather than always being on the bench coaching these days, a very different way of enjoying the game for me. I get to just about every home match and love seeing the growing numbers of fans turning out for UK volleyball as it seems to be growing in popularity in Lexington. Sure hope they make another run to the Final Four this year, as you said, but I also think the future looks very bright with the young players we have this season and a couple of good recruits already committed for next season. Things are looking up for the program.

Do you think the redo of Memorial will have a big impact on his recruiting?

Craig’s done well even with the old facility but a brand new venue could help or does it even matter with HS girl volleyballers?
I think so!

It will likely lead to an uptick in both transfer talent and incoming high school talent. It will be state of the art and very attractive for volleyball. Coach has wisely parlayed the success of the national title by playing all over the country in non conference. A lot of talent for volleyball comes outside the SEC footprint. He knows that and has used the scheduling as an opportunity to get UK even more visible. He is really selling the renovated Memorial as a part of UK volleyballs bright future!

I'm a former high school volleyball coach and UK Alum so I share your great interest in UK volleyball and have for many years now. I love being able to just sit back in the stands and enjoy the game and our team rather than always being on the bench coaching these days, a very different way of enjoying the game for me. I get to just about every home match and love seeing the growing numbers of fans turning out for UK volleyball as it seems to be growing in popularity in Lexington. Sure hope they make another run to the Final Four this year, as you said, but I also think the future looks very bright with the young players we have this season and a couple of good recruits already committed for next season. Things are looking up for the program.
We make it up to a handful a year. My daughter will be at every match next year if she ends up at UK. Exciting team and program!!!

Reactions: bevcat and ORCAT
We make it up to a handful a year. My daughter will be at every match next year if she ends up at UK. Exciting team and program!!!
Hope your daughter makes it up to UK as a student. I really enjoyed my time as a student at Kentucky and it served me well in my career as a teacher, coach, athletic director. Now I'm back in Lexington living here. Season tickets for men's basketball and volleyball and usually make it to 2-3 football games each year. Love living here. On a side note, it was too bad UK scheduled Senior Day for Saturday at the same time as the UK/UL football game. Might just keep the crowd lower for volleyball unless many have given up on football this year. I know I will be at the volleyball match and I love football.

Hope your daughter makes it up to UK as a student. I really enjoyed my time as a student at Kentucky and it served me well in my career as a teacher, coach, athletic director. Now I'm back in Lexington living here. Season tickets for men's basketball and volleyball and usually make it to 2-3 football games each year. Love living here. On a side note, it was too bad UK scheduled Senior Day for Saturday at the same time as the UK/UL football game. Might just keep the crowd lower for volleyball unless many have given up on football this year. I know I will be at the volleyball match and I love football.
I’ve bellyached the whole week about that game time. These girls deserve to celebrate winning outright in front of fans in person. I’m afraid football game drowns that out!

I’ve bellyached the whole week about that game time. These girls deserve to celebrate winning outright in front of fans in person. I’m afraid football game drowns that out!
Agree 100% but we're still going to Rupp for volleyball tomorrow. I've given football enough attention this year and what have they done?

Seems like the rifle team did well last year
You obviously haven't watched much volleyball or you wouldn't be joking about it. Love to see you on the court with a ball hit 100+ mph and see if you still want to make fun of it. Very exciting and fast moving sport with true athletes.

Reactions: Nuke99m
Alright. Win and advance. Looks like they played well. What is that-17 wins in a row?

Baylor on Friday. Imagine they will be tough

Lol! It may reach 50+ mph (colllege volleyball) but that's stretching it.
Just stop being a Turd!
If you don’t like + respect women’s volleyball, then get out of this thread!!

Me? I love it and will be glued to the TV, watching with pride.

Reactions: ORCAT
Baylor is 16-12 and got into the tournament with an At-Large Bid. They aren't great, but they're scrappy and closed out their regular season winning a lot of games to get them in.

The Bears are hitting their stride at the right time. After a three-game skid against TCU and Kansas earlier this month, they rattled off a dominant sweep of West Virginia and a four-set win over #12 Houston to close out a 16-12 regular season. The team finished 10-8 in the Big 12, with seven of the losses coming to other tournament teams (BYU, Iowa State, Texas, TCU and Kansas).

A win tonight sends Kentucky to the Sweet 16! The game will be broadcast on ESPN+ at 7pm tonight.

Bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2023

Reactions: uky8unc5 and ORCAT
Lol! It may reach 50+ mph (colllege volleyball) but that's stretching it.
They can reach 70 plus actually and I doubt you could handle it. Just don't understand why you would make light of them. They are very athletic and highly entertaining. Your sarcastic post was disappointing.

Baylor is 16-12 and got into the tournament with an At-Large Bid. They aren't great, but they're scrappy and closed out their regular season winning a lot of games to get them in.

The Bears are hitting their stride at the right time. After a three-game skid against TCU and Kansas earlier this month, they rattled off a dominant sweep of West Virginia and a four-set win over #12 Houston to close out a 16-12 regular season. The team finished 10-8 in the Big 12, with seven of the losses coming to other tournament teams (BYU, Iowa State, Texas, TCU and Kansas).

A win tonight sends Kentucky to the Sweet 16! The game will be broadcast on ESPN+ at 7pm tonight.

Bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2023
They disposed of James Madison, ranked higher, pretty easily last night. I expect a tough battle tonight. GO CATS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT