FB Recruiting Kentucky, Vandy standing out to LB Ethan Crisp early

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Mount Juliet, Tenn., outside linebacker prospect

Ethan Crisp
is making the rounds on the camp scene, and as he does so he's impressing coaches right and left.

At Kentucky he received plenty of attention from inside linebackers coach Jon Sumrall, and it was clear to observers that the 6'3, 196-pound prospect was one of the top performers at the event.

Crisp now has offers from Kentucky, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Virginia, and Virginia Tech, so it won't be a surprise if he's eventually ranked as one of the top players in the Volunteer State from the Class of 2023.

"I took an unofficial at Vanderbilt and then I was at Kentucky and (Monday) I went to Auburn," Crisp told Cats Illustrated after competing at a camp with the Tigers.

Auburn has not offered but Bryan Harsin's staff has relayed that they will be staying in touch with him one way or another, probably through his high school coaches since college coaches can't reach out directly to players until September.

Crisp believes he performed well at Auburn.

"I gave up a few passes but you know, that's going to happen. You have to have a short memory. I had a few pass breakups, too," he said.

Crisp ran the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds at Auburn and that speed is one of his biggest selling points as he hits various camps around the South. He ran a 4.6 at Kentucky, so that kind of speed even at that size is not a fluke.

The plan has been for Crisp to visit Georgia on Tuesday and then shortly thereafter he will attend the Rivals Underclassman Combine in Atlanta.

Later, Crisp will be at Missouri, Louisville, Virginia, and Virginia Tech.

"That's it for June right now but I don't know what July has for me yet," he said.

Given the amount of attention Crisp got from Sumrall and the need at linebacker moving forward, he's someone for Kentucky fans to get to know.

"We connected really good," Crisp said of Sumrall. "We got to have some time together, just time for the two of us to talk when I was up there. He coached me up good and I got to learn a lot of stuff from him. I was impressed. I'm excited to see where things go with Kentucky. It was kind of an unofficial visit and then the camp. We toured all of the facilities and then had a little photo shoot. Then after the camp we toured the campus."

Are any schools standing out to Crisp so far?

"You know, it's early and things can change, even in the blink of an eye, but Vandy and Kentucky have shown the most love at the moment," he said. "I was told early in the process to show love to who shows love to you and so far that's been Vandy and Kentucky."

Crisp said what he brings to the table is versatility. He feels he can play inside or outside linebacker and even strong safety if that's a need. Speed is obviously an asset.

In spite of only starting half of his team's games last season Crisp had 60 tackles, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and a pass deflection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News