ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Ranked 15th

Can someone answer this question that knows better?

Why is Kansas #1?

I know they have Dickinson but didn't their starting PG just get kicked off team? Who do they have back or who else was added that justifies ranking?

Didn't Dickinson have two first round draft picks on his team at Michigan? Guy doesn't seem to win...

Genuinely curious. I understand Duke, but don't get Kansas...
Their starting PG is DaJuan Harris. He didn’t get kicked off the team. You’re talking about SG Arterio Morris who transferred from Texas and was kicked off the team for a sexual assault charge.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Honestly it’s a little too low I would have Kentucky probably anywhere between 10-12th but for this year it feels like a good spot to start
Right there with you. I prefer being ranked lower like this in pre-season. What has being ranked near the top gotten us the past couple of seasons. Pre-season rankings are pretty meaningless anyway so 15th doesn't bother me one bit and gives the team a goal with maybe a little chip on their shoulders.

Why is Kansas #1?

I know they have Dickinson but didn't their starting PG just get kicked off team? Who do they have back or who else was added that justifies ranking?

Didn't Dickinson have two first round draft picks on his team at Michigan? Guy doesn't seem to win...

Basketball-wise, Kansas brought back 3 starters from their 1 seed team last year and have added Timberlake to replace Dick and Dickinson to replace Wilson. They are very experienced as well. They've brought in a couple solid freshmen to come off the bench in Jackson and Furphy. Depth-wise, they are poor now that Morris is gone.

Compared to us, I'd take our PG combo of Wagner/Dillingham over Harris. I'd take Reeves over Timberlake and I may call McCullar/Edwards a draw (at least in November). Adams and Mitchell are likely even or slight UK advantage. Then Dickinson vs. our 3 7-fters is a big KU advantage, likely countering all our gains on the guard side. Depth-wise, we crush them, but I don't know if that will matter. I'd love to play them in Jan/Feb again instead of early Nov, but I do think we have a good shot. With losing Morris, they should've dropped to probably #5 in the rankings.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Why is Kansas #1?

Ever since I’ve been following college basketball, Kansas has had an overinflated ranking. Literally, 30+ years and counting now. Never forget them being ranked #1 over us by some outlets in 1996. Not to mention, 1997/1998 as well. We all know how those seasons turned out.

Basketball-wise, Kansas brought back 3 starters from their 1 seed team last year and have added Timberlake to replace Dick and Dickinson to replace Wilson. They are very experienced as well. They've brought in a couple solid freshmen to come off the bench in Jackson and Furphy. Depth-wise, they are poor now that Morris is gone.

Compared to us, I'd take our PG combo of Wagner/Dillingham over Harris. I'd take Reeves over Timberlake and I may call McCullar/Edwards a draw (at least in November). Adams and Mitchell are likely even or slight UK advantage. Then Dickinson vs. our 3 7-fters is a big KU advantage, likely countering all our gains on the guard side. Depth-wise, we crush them, but I don't know if that will matter. I'd love to play them in Jan/Feb again instead of early Nov, but I do think we have a good shot. With losing Morris, they should've dropped to probably #5 in the rankings.
Maybe so. However, those two guys they lost were their two best players by a WIDE margin. Wilson was easily a top 5 player nationally last season and Dick was top 5 (arguably the best) freshman player in the country last season. Not to mention, the best freshman shooter. Those two guys were absolute killers. Kansas takes a big step back this coming season IMO. Way overrated.

They post regularly about the WNBA that should tell you everything you need to know about that company…….
How dare a company promote a league they own the rights to and make money off of. How dare they.

God some of you are so easily triggered by women's sports. It's a damn winter wonderland in here sometimes. ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

Dickinson vs. our 3 7-fters is a push at worst
i will take our mobile 3 7-fters over him all day long, especially if we get into a running game
UK has the clear advantage in at least 4 positions not to mention the bench which is a huge UK advantage

How dare a company promote a league they own the rights to and make money off of. How dare they.

God some of you are so easily triggered by women's sports. It's a damn winter wonderland in here sometimes. ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

Haha I totally agree. It's amazing the things that trigger people these days- snowflake city (regardless of political party haha)

Appreciate the insight. Thanks.

I don't really follow Dickinson vs Bradshaw, Ugo, Z.

You'd really have Dickinson over our three? Not me, at all.

Appreciate the insight. Thanks.

I don't really follow Dickinson vs Bradshaw, Ugo, Z.

You'd really have Dickinson over our three? Not me, at all.

Yeah if you told me right now we could give up Bradshaw/Big Z and Ugo in exchange for Dickinson, no chance I'm taking that trade ever.

But I do appreciate @Padsfs07 trying to be objective- but I had a big post about this in the summer time- I think Kansas is extremely overrated going into the year and think we're better and deeper at almost every position, especially now with Big Z.

At the Bahamas, they had Dickinson at 18 PPG, Adams at 13 PPG, McCullar at 14 PPG, Harris and Timberlake at 9 PPG. I assume their returning players, Adams and McCullar, will have to take a step up for 22/23.
Fair enough. I just don’t see who’s gonna make clutch shots for them.

Yeah if you told me right now we could give up Bradshaw/Big Z and Ugo in exchange for Dickinson, no chance I'm taking that trade ever.

But I do appreciate @Padsfs07 trying to be objective- but I had a big post about this in the summer time- I think Kansas is extremely overrated going into the year and think we're better and deeper at almost every position, especially now with Big Z.
There were a select few of us here whom never wanted to add HD. Just don’t believe he was a good fit.

There were a select few of us here whom never wanted to add HD. Just don’t believe he was a good fit.

And I was one of them for sure.

Did not want a worse version of Oscar.

As much as Jeff Goodman might try to sell Dickinson as some shot-blocking, 3 point shooting phenom, he just isn't. "Capable" and "Proficient" are two very different things.

CAN Dickinson make a 3? Sure, I suppose occasionally.

But do I want him out there? No. And most of his time will be with 2 feet planted in or around the paint, and they'll channel the offense through him. And thus he wasn't going to be a fit if we wanted to change the offense and open the lane.

Bradshaw and Z can do it all AND are better rim protectors, and we don't have to channel the offense through them.

And I was one of them for sure.

Did not want a worse version of Oscar.

As much as Jeff Goodman might try to sell Dickinson as some shot-blocking, 3 point shooting phenom, he just isn't. "Capable" and "Proficient" are two very different things.

CAN Dickinson make a 3? Sure, I suppose occasionally.

But do I want him out there? No. And most of his time will be with 2 feet planted in or around the paint, and they'll channel the offense through him. And thus he wasn't going to be a fit if we wanted to change the offense and open the lane.

Bradshaw and Z can do it all AND are better rim protectors, and we don't have to channel the offense through them.
THIS!

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
FWIW the difference in KU realizing their full potential and UK is not solely based on individual talent. It’s Self>Cal. On any given night those two teams could play or OT or even blow out one another depending on who is hitting shots.

The reason for the difference in ranking is simply 1) one team has *more* high level college experience and isn’t relying on very talented freshman as much.

And 2) Self has more of a track record the last 3-4 years than Calapari in their team realizing their full potential. KU hasn’t had the same level of talent as UK, but their upperclassmen always develop, and they are always a 1-2 seed. They are the safe if not sexy bet at being a top 5 team. UK on the other hand is probably more talented than anyone, but were the same the last 2 years and didn’t really meet their expectations.

National Analysts trust coaches more than players based on these rankings.

Still think both teams will be really fun to watch.

Fair enough. I just don’t see who’s gonna make clutch shots for them.

Dunno. It may be like that one UK team in 03/04, where they have 5 guys that all kind of score evenly, get a 1 seed, don't have much depthe, and get bounced early when they are forced to hit a .....clutch shot

The last three UK teams weren't very talented in the end. In fact, only 1 first round draft pick on each team.
They did have the national player of the year 2 of those years, and high recruiting rankings. You’re helping make my point that the players didn’t realize their full talent while at UK.

KU the last 3 years including their title team only had 1 5 star recruit as well in Dick, but was very successful and those players eventually got drafted in the 1st despite not being *recruited* at that talent level.

They know our coach!
I believe too many have their hopes up that Cal can win with this team.
His days of winning at a high level are over in my opinion.

Reactions: know1
Hope the ranking doesn't go in the same direction it has the past several years or we won't make the tourney.

This UK team has it all: #1 recruiting class, guards galore, rim protectors galore, experienced college players, 3 point makers, multiple lotto picks.

We will see if my post was hypocrisy or not on Nov. 14.
You’re post was hypocritical. Regardless of how this team does it was hypocritical. I think you might be confused on what the word hypocrisy means. It has nothing to do with you being right or wrong. You look too old to be this confused on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluebornwildcat
Your post has as hypocritical. Regardless of how this team does it was hypocritical. I think you might be confused on what the word hypocrisy means. It has nothing to do with you being right or wrong. You look too old to be this confused on this.
When I first came across that guy I thought he was a kid but then he put a picture in his bio and I was like wtf. I am not sure what to think if he is in fact an actual adult. Lol

• Haha
Your post has as hypocritical. Regardless of how this team does it was hypocritical. I think you might be confused on what the word hypocrisy means. It has nothing to do with you being right or wrong. You look too old to be this confused on this.
Aren't you just replying to yourself here?

HAHAHAHAHA they don't make money off it. They literally SUBSIDIZE it.

Lunardi has UK as a 6 seed in his latest bracketology. That means he is basically ranking us from 21-24th depending on which 6 seed he sees us as.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT