ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky fans DESERVE at least an Elite Eight on average every other year and a Final Four every three or four years...

Oh wait. That's what the Cats have averaged under Calipari: Seven Elite Eights or better in 14 tournaments. Four Final Fours or better; an average of one every 3.5 tournaments.

Nevermind.
How much longer should we give Cal if he performs equally each year moving forward as he has the last 4? How many years do you think? No flame, honest question. I don’t mind you being happy with Cal, I know others who are still good. Just wondering when you would say pull the plug if he does same moving forward as he has last 4.

"Deserve"

What a weird idea. I once went out to a house I rented to pick up the keys from the previous tenant. She was confined to a chair after a car accident had left her paralyzed from the waist down. She was 24.

I wouldn't say we deserve anything... No more deserving than any other fan base. But we should strive for those types of results. We have a large enough and passionate enough fan base to warrant the investment that yields those types of results. And if we don't achieve them, to continue to make changes around the program to reach them.

Oh wait. That's what the Cats have averaged under Calipari: Seven Elite Eights or better in 14 tournaments. Four Final Fours or better; an average of one every 3.5 tournaments.

Nevermind.

Statistics can be used to lie if they paint an inaccurate picture...
first half of his tenure, he was well above that average, but since the 2017 season...he's been well below that average. So, while the averages your post are technically true, they are misleading as well.

I have seen no one, NO ONE, argue that Cal wasn't ever successful during his UK tenure. However, most of those same people also say, "where has that success gone?"

Any previous UK coach was fired for the success rate that Cal has had since 2017.

Kentucky fans deserve a program that knocks on the door year in and year out. We understand we won't win a Natty all the time. I'm 50+ years old and UK has won 4 in my lifetime. But we expect to be in the conversation every year and a tough out in the tournament every year.

Over the last 4 years this team has not been in the discussion, and they have not been a tough out in the tournament. That is what the expectation is. I don't believe a school like UK should be a ten-loss team. Not the way they recruit and in the era of the transfer portal UK should be more elite than ever before.

Reactions: Elliott Tim
2019-2024
2019- elite 8 loss, Kentucky chocked against a team they beat twice already
2020- no tourney no clue what Kentucky does
2021- 9-16, worst team of the cal era
2022- NPOY in Oscar, team that played hard, but fizzled out first round bad loss to St. Peter’s
2023- mid team, mid coaching, second round loss to k-state who Kentucky should of beat
2024- fun team, clear issues, dogshit coach, upset loss in the first round to Oakland.

Now if the OP would remove his mouth from Cal’s nuts he could clearly see that cal is never returning back fo what he was and is to far gone. But no he likes sucking cal off, and acting like Kentucky can’t be good without this fraud for a coach
He’s doing this for his own personal amusement. He’ll make some outlandish thread, get everyone riled up, never reply to it, then make a new one in a few days.

I wouldn't say we deserve anything... No more deserving than any other fan base. But we should strive for those types of results. We have a large enough and passionate enough fan base to warrant the investment that yields those types of results. And if we don't achieve them, to continue to make changes around the program to reach them.

Spot on!

While true (as an average), you’re ignoring the obvious trend since 2019 towards obsolescence.

Kentucky deserves to be in the conversation for a national title every year, however.

Reactions: KFuqua
I guess we have to talk averages when it’s been 10 years since making an appearance in the Final Four or getting a one seed.

it’s a compilation of SEC failures like not even making a conference title game for now seven years. And not just failure like “Oh we were an 8 seed and lost in the second round”, no, this has been a brutal five years.

Covid : team was falling apart anyway with the Hagans stuff

21- Losing season
22- Bounced by a 15 seed
23- 2nd rd exit as 6
24- Bounced by a 14 seed

If Belichick can get canned for six Super Bowls then Cal can be dismissed as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
Deserve isn’t the right word but “realistically expect” is bc it is our historical average. Other fan bases can’t realistically expect those results other than maybe UNC, Kansas, Duke.

By not holding ppl to that standard and maintaining that expectation when they start falling short of the average…is how you lower the historical average of excellence. Proactively attempting to maintain that standard is how you stay there. Not just hoping the tide turns and it all works out.

I get it’s Cals current average and you can use it to justify another year or 2. But reality is when it’s all front loaded it creates a massive trend down and just as any good investor, you have to recognize trends early. If Cals exact same accomplishments were spread out and 1-2 of those F4s were since 2017 then nobody would be antsy and we’d be fine

Last edited:
Deserve isn’t the right word but “realistically expect” is bc it is our historical average. Other fan bases can’t realistically expect those results other than maybe UNC, Kansas, Duke.

By not holding ppl to that standard and maintaining that expectation when they start falling short of the average…is how you lower the historical average of excellence. Proactively attempting to maintain that standard is how you stay there. Not just hoping the tide turns and it all works out.

I get it’s Cals current average and you can use it to justify bother year or 2. But reality is when it’s all front loaded it creates a massive trend down and just as any good investor, you have to recognize trends early. If Cals exact same accomplishments were spread out and 1-2 of those F4s were since 2017 then nobody would be antsy and we’d be fine
This!

How much longer should we give Cal if he performs equally each year moving forward as he has the last 4? How many years do you think? No flame, honest question. I don’t mind you being happy with Cal, I know others who are still good. Just wondering when you would say pull the plug if he does same moving forward as he has last 4.
Answer this one buddy.

Here is what this all boils down to.

The success was front loaded.

Sure looking at things in totality it doesn't look awful at all. The problem is many believe the coach that got us that success earlier in this era is dead and gone. If people believe that 2010-2015 Cal was still coaching UK, would anyone have a problem moving forward with him? I can't imagine so. Sure some would still gripe at what he does and how he does it, but you couldn't argue with the success. Thing is many believe that guy isn't the same guy that's here now. Many believe college basketball has changed and u can't win the way Cal wants/is used to winning with.

If this was more balanced, would we even be having this conversation right now? Probably not.

Reactions: RunninRichie
UK deserves at least one 30 plus win season every 4 years....... a 1 seed every 4 years as UNC, Duke, and KU havent gone more than 4 years without a 1 seed well i went back to the 80's so if it happened it was before the 80's ...

UK deserves a final four at least once every 8 years at least. at least one elite 8 plus sweet 16 every 4 years

overall at least 77% win percentage over each 4 year period. SEC or SECT title in 4 years, we're a blue blood, asking to win of those every 4 years isnt unreasonable.

He’s doing this for his own personal amusement. He’ll make some outlandish thread, get everyone riled up, never reply to it, then make a new one in a few days.
He’s an asshole. He really truly loves Calipari though. It pisses him off when people criticize Cal

Nevermind.
I’m with you on 99% of the stuff you post but not on this. The last 5 years have not been acceptable and there is no way to spin it.

He’s an asshole. He really truly loves Calipari though. It pisses him off when people criticize Cal
I do not disagree, he also knows what he is doing with these posts and is getting exactly the type of response he wants from it. There are some posters who have been so pro-Cal, they can’t accept the current reality and will revert to shit posting.

I do not disagree, he also knows what he is doing with these posts and is getting exactly the type of response he wants from it. There are some posters who have been so pro-Cal, they can’t accept the current reality and will revert to shit posting.
He had me fooled at one time. I used to post in the paddock in the thread called the d league. A lot of super nice people in there and he posts there often. When I started seeing his posts on rafters was when I realized his whole nice guy routine in the d league is fake. Those nice people in that thread have no idea how he really is

Reactions: NociHTTP
What he did between 2009-2017 was great. It’s the last 5 year decline that is the problem. If he can’t figure out how to re-invent himself and change it, his time has passed
Respectfully, WV W ...
In 2009-10, CCC couldn't make the Final Four with John Wall, Boogie Cousins, and Eric Bledsoe.
In 2012-13, we already had six losses before Nerlens Noel tore his ACL on February 12, 2013 at Florida. We went on to lose that game to Florida and five more games that season, including a 16-point loss to Vanderbilt in our first game of the SEC Tournament and capped of by our ignominious loss to Robert Morris University in the NIT !
In 2013-14, we already had 10 losses before Aaron Harrison's three game-winning three-pointers. Without those three shots we don't make it out of the Sweet 16.
In 2014-15, of course, we had (IMHO) the "best" - in ever sense of the word - top-to-bottom roster that has ever been assembled in the history of college basketball. Yet, we lost to Wisconsin in the semis because (again, IMHO) in the words of CCC at the time, "We don't watch film of our opponent." I have gone on ad nauseum on this board asserting that if WCS had had a good coach to sit down with him before the game and watch film of Frank Kaminsky, WCS could have and would have shut Kaminsky down, and we could have and would have gone 40-0 that season and won that National Championship and no one would be writing on threads like this today !
And finally ... we lost 9 games in 2015-16, and the Fox-Monk-Bam team of 2016-17 only missed the Final Four because CCC was grossly outcoached by Ol' Roy in Memphis ! ! !
So ... while pointing out that CCC's record from 2009-10 through 2014-15 certainly wasn't stellar, I won't dissent from your post that what CCC did between 2009 and 2015 "was great." As far as I'm concerned, our beloved U.K. basketball program has been victimized by CCC's ineptitude and arrogance since March 28, 2015.
Also ... perhaps the foregoing is an adequate rebuttal of the nonsense that the OP set out in the initial post in this thread.
Nevertheless ... hopefully, for 2024-25 ... go 'Cats ! ! !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT