Poythress - too athletic
Skal - too tall

Matthews - too determined
Mulder - shoots too well
Lee - too energetic
Hawkins - too strong
Willis - too Willis

Reactions: Federal Cat
I think each of the starters have concerns, but Calilpari has enough depth to counteract those issues should they rear their heads. Too, you have to look at what teams might cause the issues in question.

Ulis has issues with taller, bigger guards taking him to the hole. The counter is bringing in Mulder or Matthews and switching either Murray or Briscoe to guard the point. You might see UNC's Paige back him down on the block. KU has a couple of offensive sets that allow guards to post (though it's almost always wings who do so). Georgia had (limited) success inverting their bigs and smalls last year and should look to do so again.

If Briscoe can't shoot straight, Mulder should be able to do so. Almost every team Kentucky faces will play zone, particularly in the SEC. In fact, I'd argue less than ten teams will play any man-to-man against the Cats simply because they won't have a wing capable of staying in front of Briscoe/ Murray/ Mulder. If that's the case, last year's team did pretty well with Andrew Harrison shooting 30% from deep. Ditto the 2010 team with Eric Bledsoe, a player I think Briscoe resembles a great deal. This year's Kentucky team can withstand that type of shooting as well (assuming Briscoe is defensively adept and capable of driving to the hoop).

(I find Murray's "weakness" ridiculous.)

If they need scoring and Poythress is disappearing, Cal can turn to Lee or Willis. Or he could go four guards while bringing in Matthews or Mulder. Last summer, we saw what Poythress could do as the primary poster. He was a monster. Should they get out and run, he'll prove even better, as he can use his athleticism as a weapon. Opposing teams will dare him to beat them on the perimeter. How he responds will go a long way to proving how good this year's Cat squad can be.

If LaBassiere is being man-handled underneath, Cal can switch Poythress on the big in question. He can also turn to Lee or Willis. Or, once the second semester begins, Wynyard. UNC will provide a great challenge for the Skal-scraper. Meeks is a load and Hicks is put together. Maybe Duke can push him out past his comfort zone. That said, Kentucky's done pretty well with thin, supposedly weak centers before. I'll take my chances with his talent.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

I think each of the starters have concerns, but Calilpari has enough depth to counteract those issues should they rear their heads. Too, you have to look at what teams might cause the issues in question.

Ulis has issues with taller, bigger guards taking him to the hole. The counter is bringing in Mulder or Matthews and switching either Murray or Briscoe to guard the point. You might see UNC's Paige back him down on the block. KU has a couple of offensive sets that allow guards to post (though it's almost always wings who do so). Georgia had (limited) success inverting their bigs and smalls last year and should look to do so again.

If Briscoe can't shoot straight, Mulder should be able to do so. Almost every team Kentucky faces will play zone, particularly in the SEC. In fact, I'd argue less than ten teams will play any man-to-man against the Cats simply because they won't have a wing capable of staying in front of Briscoe/ Murray/ Mulder. If that's the case, last year's team did pretty well with Andrew Harrison shooting 30% from deep. Ditto the 2010 team with Eric Bledsoe, a player I think Briscoe resembles a great deal. This year's Kentucky team can withstand that type of shooting as well (assuming Briscoe is defensively adept and capable of driving to the hoop).

(I find Murray's "weakness" ridiculous.)

If they need scoring and Poythress is disappearing, Cal can turn to Lee or Willis. Or he could go four guards while bringing in Matthews or Mulder. Last summer, we saw what Poythress could do as the primary poster. He was a monster. Should they get out and run, he'll prove even better, as he can use his athleticism as a weapon. Opposing teams will dare him to beat them on the perimeter. How he responds will go a long way to proving how good this year's Cat squad can be.

If LaBassiere is being man-handled underneath, Cal can switch Poythress on the big in question. He can also turn to Lee or Willis. Or, once the second semester begins, Wynyard. UNC will provide a great challenge for the Skal-scraper. Meeks is a load and Hicks is put together. Maybe Duke can push him out past his comfort zone. That said, Kentucky's done pretty well with thin, supposedly weak centers before. I'll take my chances with his talent.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.
We wont play UNC unless its in the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT