ADVERTISEMENT

Kenpom: How/ is SOS used in efficiency margins?

Apr 1, 2023
I noticed our SOS is fairly poor this year, and wanted to known if that has a bearing on our offense or defense efficiency's? Or might it be a completly seperate entity to use having no bearing on a teams rank?

You have to multiple it by 0.69 on the road but at home you just divide by 0.69 but you have to account for the neutral court variables which is factored in with Wilson or Nike basketballs but don’t forget some teams play with Spalding and Adidas.

You have to multiple it by 0.69 on the road but at home you just divide by 0.69 but you have to account for the neutral court variables which is factored in with Wilson or Nike basketballs but don’t forget some teams play with Spalding and Adidas.
So... to your knowledge, strength of schedule has no effect on ones team rank in ken pom. Thnx

It's baked into the efficiency formulas. Your offensive and defensive efficiency are calculated relative to offensive and defensive efficiency of your opponents. If we play a team with a very good defense like Houston, scoring 75 pts on 65 possessions might help our offensive efficiency. But do the same against Vanderbilt, it will hurt it.

Reactions: GoBIG BLUE
It's baked into the efficiency formulas. Your offensive and defensive efficiency are calculated relative to offensive and defensive efficiency of your opponents. If we play a team with a very good defense like Houston, scoring 75 pts on 65 possessions might help our offensive efficiency. But do the same against Vanderbilt, it will hurt it.
I get that. Somewgat confusing, but follow the O and D margins, but i still dont see how the SOS plays into any calculation at all. It must be a stand alone statistic?

I noticed our SOS is fairly poor this year, and wanted to known if that has a bearing on our offense or defense efficiency's? Or might it be a completly seperate entity to use having no bearing on a teams rank?
Strength of Schedule now has three columns. It’s potentially more confusing, but worth it in the end. The way I compute SOS is to average the opponents offensive and defensive ratings and to apply the pythagorean calculation to them to rank the overall schedules. So those are the three columns you see, Pyth (Overall SOS), AdjO (Opponents’ average adjusted offensive efficiency), and AdjD (Opponents’ average adjusted defensive efficiency). When comparing the offensive performance of players on different teams, there’s quite a bit of an advantage having their average opponents’ defense quantified. There’s also a column for non-conference SOS which attempts to capture the portion of the schedule under a school’s control. Thus, no postseason or conference games are included in that calculation.

I believe it’s a stand alone number.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT