ADVERTISEMENT

Just saw a B-29 and two B-17s fly over...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
All you WWII buffs, I just went down on the Mall in DC and watched the VE Day fly-over. Virtually every major aircraft that fought in the war from trainers and transports to all the heavy bombers and all the fighters -- P-39, P-63, P40, P-47 P-38 P-51, F6F, F8F, F4U. Only noteworthy WWII American aircraft I didn't see was the B-26, but there was a formation of three B-25 Hornets. Cool Missing Man formation with P-51, P-40, TBF Avenger and F4U Corsair. Also saw Bob Dole sitting in a chair enjoying the show.

Pretty impressive display.

Last edited:
That would be a cool experience. Assume that is a yearly event?
No, at least not in DC. It was the 70th anniversary of VE-Day today, and the planes flew over the WWII Memorial, then basically down the Mall past all the Smithsonian Museums. It was billed as the largest collection of WW II aircraft in the air together in quite some time.

Just as long as you didn't see this afterwards.

atomic-bomb.jpg

Reactions: Willy4UK
I'll have to find some of the media from my experience, if I can find it.

Long and short of it: My Grandfather was a WW2 B-17 Intel/RadioOP airman. His plane was shot down over Holland on it's way back from a bombing run. He parachuted out but landed in a pond about a 1/2 hours drive south of Amsterdam. He was taken in by a farm family and they hid him in the attic away from the Germans. Around town he was known as a deaf mute so his American accent wouldn't be noticed. This took place for roughly 18 months. The war ended, he came home, had a family. He has since passed away, but we all knew the story.

Around 10 years ago, a local government worker and historian had come across wreckage of the plane. He started to do research and was eventually able to peice together parts of the plane, the crew, what had happened, etc. About 5 years ago, this man contacted each of the families (my mom) to talk about their experiences and what information they had. After more work, and seeing the connection of some of these men to the town (My Grandfather wasn't the only one who was stowed away), he raised money to open a monument at a local church, right across from the field where the plane had crashed. So all of the families of the crew (B-17's had roughly 9-12 members) flew out to Holland a few years back for the unveiling of the monument. About 5,000 people showed up from the town and surrounding villages. Quite an experience. I have more details on the events, findings, and ceremony if anyone is interested.

Here is the monument.

cimg2544_w860_h550.jpg

Well...that is one hell of a good story.

I was thinking of the significance of the date today. Looking at my kids, thinking if only I could tell all that generation thanks for what they gave us.

Hahaha.. after learning about these B-17 bombers my entire life.. I'm no "man". The "Greatest Generation" really was the greatest. People kind of just shrug it off now it seems. The bomber would essentially walk across a catwalk where the payload would drop from, just hanging out over nothing-ness... the gunners were essentially in bubble pits of death..

I don't even like to fly without a few whiskeys and a xanax.. these guys did it at 18 years old. Crazy.

They published a book called "Broken Wings: The True Story of a B-17 Bomber Crew Lost Over Holland in September 1944". I'm not sure how easy it is to find. Made it's way to B&N and Amazon but very limited quantities. My grandfather has a journal which I read quite a few times. Pretty damn nuts. On impact from AA fire, I think two guys perished. One never made it out of the plane on it's way down. The guy that landed into the pond with him couldn't swim well and drowned with the parachute. Another guy, whose grandchildren are my age so we got to hang out, must have parachuted too late and broke his back on impact. Unfortunately, I never got to meet my Grandfather.

Thanks for the kind words! If anyone has questions or wants to know more, let me know. Like I said, tons of material out there on this.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Paul Tibbets was the pilot of the B-29 that dropped those Atom bombs on Japan that brought about the ending of the Second World War.

Hahaha.. after learning about these B-17 bombers my entire life.. I'm no "man". The "Greatest Generation" really was the greatest. People kind of just shrug it off now it seems. The bomber would essentially walk across a catwalk where the payload would drop from, just hanging out over nothing-ness... the gunners were essentially in bubble pits of death..

I don't even like to fly without a few whiskeys and a xanax.. these guys did it at 18 years old. Crazy.

They published a book called "Broken Wings: The True Story of a B-17 Bomber Crew Lost Over Holland in September 1944". I'm not sure how easy it is to find. Made it's way to B&N and Amazon but very limited quantities. My grandfather has a journal which I read quite a few times. Pretty damn nuts. On impact from AA fire, I think two guys perished. One never made it out of the plane on it's way down. The guy that landed into the pond with him couldn't swim well and drowned with the parachute. Another guy, whose grandchildren are my age so we got to hang out, must have parachuted too late and broke his back on impact. Unfortunately, I never got to meet my Grandfather.

Thanks for the kind words! If anyone has questions or wants to know more, let me know. Like I said, tons of material out there on this.

That catwalk was no joke. My dad is a retired captain and was in the Air Force, and has flown the B17 and B24 several times. His name is actually on the right side of the nose of the B24 called Witchcraft - pretty cool site to see. I have been on it before and on the catwalk while on the ground :)

Was supposed to fly on it a couple of years ago when they were in town, and although I missed that chance will definitely do it in the future. Greatest generation can never get the thanks they deserve. These men and women gave their lives, and those who served many carry the memories and horrors of WW2 the rest of their lives.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT