ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from Columbia notes

After attending your dirt pit in the middle of ghetto neighborhoods and the homeless, theres a HUGE gap between the two. Attend an away game anywhere in the SEC and tell me that isn't 10 times nicer.
We got there 3 hours before game time and walked all around the outside of the stadium and didn't see any of what you speak of.

Reactions: The-Hack
Not fair to compare to college towns like Athens if it’s a midsize southern city. I lived in Lexington and Louisville. Lexington is prettier and the downtown is nicer. Louisville is bigger and has more stuff. I like both of them. Where would you rank Columbia among:

Louisville
Lexington
Birmingham
Memphis

Etc. I have never been but I am curious.

I was there three days before game time and didn’t see it.

Are there poor areas in Columbia?

Meet me 8th Street in Lexington, tonight and we’ll discuss poverty in cities until we get shot.
When you live there over 20 years and see how the majority of people are let me
Know.

There isn’t much nice in South Carolina.
That's not true at all. Lot's of South Carolina is really nice. Greenville, Charleston, the coast, Clemson, Spartansburg, all those places are pretty cool to really cool and would be great places to live or visit. I have never been to Columbia, but being a UK fan, I know when a lot of UK fans ventured outside of the whitewashed sterile environment that is Lexington they start getting antsy, so I bet Columbia is fairly nice too.

Last edited:
That's not true at all. Lot's of South Carolina is really nice. Greenville, Charleston, the coast, Clemson, Spartansburg, all those places are pretty cool to really cool and would be great places to live or visit. I have never been to Columbia, but being a UK fan, I know when a lot of UK fans ventured outside of the whitewashed sterile environment that is Lexington they start getting antsy, so I bet Columbia is fairly nice too.

Meh.

The grossness of SC really permeates even those areas that are perceived as nice.

Yes, downtown Greenville is nice, but that’s mainly only in the summer after they round up the homeless and put them on buses to Charlotte.

Nothing good in South Carolina? Charleston, S.C. has been ranked by Conde' Nast the #1 city to visit in the United States 8 straight years!
Theres many beautiful places in SC. Columbia is not one of them. No honest person can travel to other game towns and tell me Columbia is similar.

My late Columbia rundown:

- Ten of us rented a house about five minutes or so from the stadium.

- We spent part of Friday night at a truck stop/Quaker Steak and Lube/bowling alley. Weirdest thing I've ever seen but we had fun nonetheless.

- Second part of Friday night was spent at Tin Roof and a Waffle House where two of the waitresses almost came to blows. Kanarra wasn't having none of it!

- We had a parking pass and tailgated by the stadium and the SC fans couldn't have been nicer. It was a pure sh*tshow from a tailgating standpoint and a great time was had by all. Bourbon and beers flowing, jello shots being passed around to everyone.

- SC mom probably in her late 40s, tailgating next to us came over and wanted to join in on the shotgunning of beers. She tried to fix the can herself even though we offered to set her up, but she "knew what she was doing." Sure enough beer goes spewing everywhere like when Scott Howard bit into the can of beer in Teen Wolf. Well, she looks at me and her face is covered in beer foam and she says, "Ah, I'm used to it." [roll]
Great times!

- My biggest complaint was trying to get into the stadium. We headed over about a half hour before kick and it was just mayhem. I've never seen something so unorganized. There was no semblance of lines forming anywhere, no bag checks, etc. Sure it gets a little jammed usually when everyone is heading in at the same time but I've been to almost all SEC stadiums and never seen anything like what I saw at SC. A&M last year was a breeze and had even more people. I feared for older folks and kids that they may get trampled on with the mass of people. Just constant pushing and shoving from behind and as nice as our SC tailgate friends were, the SC fans in this mob were just as awful. We almost got into a fight because of the shoving. The university really needs to figure out a better way to handle that before someone gets seriously injured.

- All in all I enjoyed my visit and had a great time other than the outcome of the game and trying to get into the game. I had heard SC fans were awful, but I also know that there's good and bad in all fan bases. We experienced both and I'd say the good outweighed the bad.

Reactions: tngamecock#
I went once and tailgated with USC fans by myself. They were nice and I asked lots of questions about the town and stadium.

Ask questions, people

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT