ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Heupel Contract

Bhad Rhabies

Freshman
Mar 12, 2022
So with absolutely no one trying to hire Josh Heupel away from Tennessee, UT just gave Heupel a $9 million/year extension through 2029 guaranteed.

You’d think a school that’s had to pay buyouts for decades from firing their coaches every 3 years would’ve learned by now. Especially since they’ve recently had an offensive minded head coach that had one good season (Butch Jones, 9-3)

I made fun of Tennessee fans that they’re going to wind up paying Josh Heupel for 30 years for going 10-2 once, and it happened, on the hook for $63 million for one season’s gimmick offense.

So with absolutely no one trying to hire Josh Heupel away from Tennessee, UT just gave Heupel a $9 million/year extension through 2029 guaranteed.

You’d think a school that’s had to pay buyouts for decades from firing their coaches every 3 years would’ve learned by now. Especially since they’ve recently had an offensive minded head coach that had one good season (Butch Jones, 9-3)

I made fun of Tennessee fans that they’re going to wind up paying Josh Heupel for 30 years for going 10-2 once, and it happened, on the hook for $63 million for one season’s gimmick offense.
Had to give Chumlee a raise, he was making less than their wunderkind HS QB.

Had to give Chumlee a raise, he was making less than their wunderkind HS QB.
I would’ve probably gone with 7 million, so 1 million raise after his first year, 2 million raise after last year, and held out the big money and huge buyout for when a legitimate threat actually interviewed him for a job.

I’m happy with Stoops putting a team with a pulse on the field, don’t care how much they pay him as long as we aren’t 2-10, I wonder if Tennessee Man is going to be happy with Heupel if he regresses back to his 7-5 ways while making 9 million though, methinks they won’t be.

I’m rooting for Butch Jones 2.0 to happen.

Yep, will have to go back and dig up my comments on MSU's mega contract offer to Mel Tucker at the time. The jest of it was that these administrations and AD's get all caught up in the moment every time almost alwasy over shoot just out emotion and getting caught up in he hype of the moment. It clouds all reasaonable thinking. Fan bases do it too so its a phenomimom of the day.

Heupel looks like the golden boy that has all the answeres and can do no wrong right now and 5 start recruits are going to crawl to Knoxville from now to eternity in the hearts and minds of fans and admins down there.

As I said in the Mel Tucker at the time, come back and lets reevaluate this in a couple of years. Heck with Mel it just started looking silly after one.

I think Heupel has earned that contract to be honest. He’s had two good years given what he inherited
7-6 first year, benefitted from an extreme amount of good fortune or he would've had a similar record in '22. I mean, he's not getting 17 penalties on Alabama again. Yet to be determined how long he can sustain his success. Probably best he can hope for is to remain first in line at the buffet.

And we are trolling Puke orange, why? Time will tell for both UK and puke orange, except we have 10 years of average fb to judge.

Reactions: UKat1
7-6 first year, benefitted from an extreme amount of good fortune or he would've had a similar record in '22. I mean, he's not getting 17 penalties on Alabama again. Yet to be determined how long he can sustain his success. Probably best he can hope for is to remain first in line at the buffet.
Not to mention he had a 25 year old QB and 3 of the best wide receivers in college football making the run game easy with how they stretched the field.

Obviously they looked good with Milton against Vandy and Clemson.

• Haha
Reactions: bassmaster_vol
Isn’t that what we pay Stoops? If so seems reasonable. Heupel’s year 2 had more wins than any Stoops year. I don’t think Heupel is a top coach in the country, but if I was UT I’d be happy to hang on to a good coach after what they’ve been thru
NOBODY even wanted him so that's not exactly holding on. Tremendous season but huge overpay after year two and I think he's an offensive genius.

NOBODY even wanted him so that's not exactly holding on. Tremendous season but huge overpay after year two and I think he's an offensive genius.
I just think it’s funny because they just had an offensive coach have a 9-3 year in his second year, and they paid him, then fired him 2 years later.

I don’t think we can talk smack about the contract. Stoops is still paid more than him, has never beaten him (and got demolished this past year), and had nobody trying to hire him away.

UK is on the hook for Stoops for about the same amount of money.

Not to mention he had a 25 year old QB and 3 of the best wide receivers in college football making the run game easy with how they stretched the field.

Obviously they looked good with Milton against Vandy and Clemson.
I mean Tillman didn’t play half the year. And no one thought Bru was a good WR until he proved it.

Your coach is 4 inches shorter and 20 lbs heavier than Heupel. It’d be like Kathy Griffins husband saying he thinks Diane Lane is homely looking.

Heupel had UT on ESPN college GameDay in year 2. We are in something like year 10 in what was supposed to be a good year and lost to a Vandy team that hadn't won an SEC game in like 10 years. Heupel probably isn't Nick Saban, but we are in no position to critique coaches pay. This is coming from someone who thinks that Stoops has done a pretty good job here.

Makes sense imo. No matter the opinions of him, he generated alot of buzz and was on the board for many ads/gms. Better to show commitment in hopes of keeping him around

I don’t think we can talk smack about the contract. Stoops is still paid more than him, has never beaten him (and got demolished this past year), and had nobody trying to hire him away.

UK is on the hook for Stoops for about the same amount of money.

Yeah, it's the way of the world. Stoops is like the 6th highest paid coach now.

Aren't we paying a guy 8+ million a year for 7 win seasons?

Nobody is trying to hire CMS away. I don't care what anyone says. He may be 6-10 on a call list of some lateral move jobs, that's about it.

Contract extensions are ceremonial at best. It's a modern-day college coaching version keeping up with the joneses. One program does it, so their rival has to do it, and immediate peers have to do it...

I understand it from a publicity standpoint. It keeps the 24/7 sports media from exhausting a narrative that nobody really wants to put up with. It's good for fans and moral.

However, it really doesn't even make sense for most programs. Where's Nick Saban going to go. He's at the penultimate making the most money. There is no move for him. He tried the NFL.

I'd like to see ADs start sacking up. "Okay Nick, go to Texas. We got 7 titles out of ya. You're 71, got maybe 3-5 years left. What are you going to do in Austin in that time frame?"

Even middle tier programs. Where's Stoops going? Lateral. Okay great, we can find a coach who will win 6-7 games a year and make a music city bowl. Let's say a step up does come calling...they'll fire him in 2-3 years if he's not in a conference championship or sniffing playoffs, and he knows it.

Same goes for most other mid-tier and upper tier P5 coaches. There's only so many gigs.

The only coaches who should get big fat contract extensions are Sonny Dykes, Lincoln Reilly, Dabo, kiffen, that up and comer Kalen Deboer Washington found who has an insane record as a HC (90-11), albeit small schools but still...11-2 first year in PAC, etc... guys who can upgrade...

ADs and boosters have forgotten a basic economic principle of scarcity. There aren't a whole lot of jobs to begin with. There's even fewer decent P5 gigs with great facilities, resources that can pay 5,6,7 million plus bonuses.

Michigan actually kind of did that with Harbaugh...and I like it...cut his pay and dared him to leave..."Hey, we're Mother F**king Michigan...go find a better gig...we dare ya..."

Reactions: Blouman

So you are saying their AD went Mitch Barnhart and overpaid a FB coach that no one wants - who could remotely afford him? Glass houses.

Remember, Chumlee in year 2 dominated UK and had a better season than Stoops has ever had as a HC. Let that sink in when you realize he is getting ~$9M a year also.

So you are saying their AD went Mitch Barnhart and overpaid a FB coach that no one wants - who could remotely afford him? Glass houses.

Remember, Chumlee in year 2 dominated UK and had a better season than Stoops has ever had as a HC. Let that sink in when you realize he is getting ~$9M a year also.
Congratulations. I hope the rest of the Tennessee fan base is as happy as you are with beating Kentucky being your measuring stick of success.

Because when Heupel has a 7-5 season that fan base is going to be pitchforks out, and he’s as or more unfireable than cal is now.

At least Cal has a national championship and 4 final fours to fall back on as justification for his ludicrous contract, also UCLA was showing interest when Barnhart gave Cal his ludicrous contract. Tennessee did it for no reason.

As for Stoops, winning record at Kentucky, averaging 8+ wins a season the last 4/5 years, that deserves 8.6 million a year as he’s winning in a spot that traditionally doesn’t have a lot of winning going on. Heupel would be 6-6 or 5-7 every year with Kentucky’s infrastructure, Stoops is a better coach.

Congratulations. I hope the rest of the Tennessee fan base is as happy as you are with beating Kentucky being your measuring stick of success.

Because when Heupel has a 7-5 season that fan base is going to be pitchforks out, and he’s as or more unfireable than cal is now.

At least Cal has a national championship and 4 final fours to fall back on as justification for his ludicrous contract, also UCLA was showing interest when Barnhart gave Cal his ludicrous contract. Tennessee did it for no reason.

As for Stoops, winning record at Kentucky, averaging 8+ wins a season the last 4/5 years, that deserves 8.6 million a year as he’s winning in a spot that traditionally doesn’t have a lot of winning going on. Heupel would be 6-6 or 5-7 every year with Kentucky’s infrastructure, Stoops is a better coach.
You shouldn't drink while engaging on a message board. By the way numbnuts, I'm a UK fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT