ADVERTISEMENT

Jones on KSR today: confirms report that Arkansas is willing to double whatever UK offers recruits

It blows my mind the level of pettiness from Cal toward a program that didn’t do anything to him except overpay his worth for the last several years. Also seems like a foolish use of money by Arkansas donors, but it’s theirs to light on fire. Enjoy the mercenaries, I suppose. I’m sure they’ll play hard and for the greater good of the team…
I'm not surprised. Petty is a good way to describe it. But here's the problem for Calipari and Arkansas- they're in Fayetteville not Lexington. They have no tradition. They have 1 title. Quick! Name a men's basketball powerhouse! And how long before you get to Arkansas? Seriously, I would say "no offense" but I'm not really bothered by offending them right now. If you want to be the big dog, you've got a LONG way to go, and I hate to say it (no, I don't, really) but Calipari won't be able to get you there. Even IF he can win a 2nd title for Arkansas, the journey is long to get there. Why would Calipari offer to pay recruits DOUBLE what UK is paying for NIL? Because he MUST. He's in Fayetteville now. Even Memphis was bigger and better.

Psst... hey Cal, just don't let them come visit. Make them come sight unseen! Maybe you can lie your way into making Fayetteville sound good. 🤣

He just raised a fair point that SAYING you’ll do this as a donor is different than actually DOING it when the money comes due.

They can buy all the players they want, it ultimately won’t matter with a washed-up, cantankerous and bitter snake-oil salesman leading them. They’ll just be paying a lot to get sent home first night of the SEC Tournament and first weekend of the NCAAs.

Cal is no John Wooden, but a lot of the guys they can land with this kind of backing will take the same kind of pay cut the Bruins did when they left UCLA. They bought titles, so maybe Cal can as well. He just needs to go out there and find someone to coach for him, too

I'm not surprised. Petty is a good way to describe it. But here's the problem for Calipari and Arkansas- they're in Fayetteville not Lexington. They have no tradition. They have 1 title. Quick! Name a men's basketball powerhouse! And how long before you get to Arkansas? Seriously, I would say "no offense" but I'm not really bothered by offending them right now. If you want to be the big dog, you've got a LONG way to go, and I hate to say it (no, I don't, really) but Calipari won't be able to get you there. Even IF he can win a 2nd title for Arkansas, the journey is long to get there. Why would Calipari offer to pay recruits DOUBLE what UK is paying for NIL? Because he MUST. He's in Fayetteville now.

100% agree. Calipari found out real quick Arkansas isn't as easy to recruit to as UK.

The other factor here is we have heard the boosters withheld NIL from men's basketball due to Cal so I am sure there is a screw you back factor at play here.

As others have said, this isn't sustainable and I doubt in future off seasons UK and Arkansas clash for many recruits anyways.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
It blows my mind the level of pettiness from Cal toward a program that didn’t do anything to him except overpay his worth for the last several years. Also seems like a foolish use of money by Arkansas donors, but it’s theirs to light on fire. Enjoy the mercenaries, I suppose. I’m sure they’ll play hard and for the greater good of the team…
Yeah, that is such a bad look for an established coach. It makes him look weak and juvenile.

Seriously everybody. Apply the common sense test. Take out your hatred for Cal.

Ask these questions and then use your inner common sense:

-How often has Matt been right about stuff?

-Have you ever felt or seen evidence of Matt and KSR completely making stuff up?

-He has no UK connection to get him info so how would he have an Arkansas connection?

-He is a media member. How do you feel about media members at large? A lot of trust there?

-Is it in Matt's benefit to lie to get attention and rile up his listener base?

-Does it make sense for Arkansas to pay DOUBLE??? Wouldn't it make more sense to pay 20% 30% or even 50% more? Wouldn't that be much more believable....but DOUBLE drives outrage and engagement.

-One way common sense tells you it is wrong is the hyperbole of DOUBLE. Sometimes the number is so big and tells you what you want to hear so much that you just know it is wrong. Like a new medicine being say 95% effective

After thinking it through what does common sense tell you.

Poor ole St Johns is having trouble getting any players out of portal. They have 0 so far and are getting killed with other programs giving the guys they have gone after a lot more money. It sure would be sweet to get Quantance here away from AR. Has gotten personal with Jones, maybe our guys can do whatever it takes to make it happen.

-Have you ever felt or seen evidence of Matt and KSR completely making stuff up?

-He has no UK connection to get him info so how would he have an Arkansas connection?

-He is a media member. How do you feel about media members at large? A lot of trust there?

-Does it make sense for Arkansas to pay DOUBLE??? Wouldn't it make more sense to pay 20% 30% or even 50% more? Wouldn't that be much more believable....but DOUBLE drives outrage and engagement.

-One way common sense tells you it is wrong is the hyperbole of DOUBLE. Sometimes the number is so big and tells you what you want to hear so much that you just know it is wrong. Like a new medicine being say 95% effective

Phew, for a second I thought we might have a thread that wasn't hi-jacked about turned into an anti-MJ rant-fest. I can sleep easy now.

Reactions: JFCats22
He also said he posted some other info on the KSR board....anyone see what that was?

Cal is proving the job made him not the other way around. Watch what's about to happen with Pope and see. Hopefully, we remember this next time people are saying if we lose this coach it's over. It's never over at UK.
I feel like after this year, we won't necessarily be going after too many of the same recruits and this won't be an issue.

Reactions: dl51344

200w.gif

Reactions: bookerfan66
Phew, for a second I thought we might have a thread that wasn't hi-jacked about turned into an anti-MJ rant-fest. I can sleep easy now.
Did you answer the questions?

Did you notice that Matt had no clue about Cal leaving and no clue about Pope coming?

Besides Ryan saying walkons are dominating Ugo and making inappropriate comments at a Chinese restaurant what does KSR do exactly.

I'm so glad the Cal era is over. The "Players First" approach is sickening to me.

That said, UK does have to figure out how to play the game at the highest level. We better find serious dollars if we expect to compete. Sad but true.

Too bad the bourbon industry can't fund it.
Hell even if they could, most of the Bourbon is now owned by foreign conglomerates anyway. Not locals.

I honestly hope we start recruiting some guys we have no interest in just to double their price to Arkansas.

Last edited:
Cal has to win recruiting battles because he can’t win anything else.

Which begs the question… did you really win the recruiting battle when you just paid out the ass for a team that accomplished nothing? No, you lost.

But this is Jerry Jones we’re talking about. The man who thought Dak freaking Prescott was a franchise QB LMAO.

I get the skeptics, but if someone told some stupidly rich donors “you can pay $4 mil for a round of 32 caliber team OR you can pay $8 mil and we should be Final Four bound,” I bet more would be willing to throw in the extra money than you’d first imagine. I could see that being a feasible selling point for at least a couple seasons til they realize they’re paying for a killer group of players who are hamstrung by an outdated doofus of a coach.

Every time I try and give Matt Jones a chance he does does something like this rendering my attempt futile.

I hate to break this to many of you, or maybe I'm glad to be able to have the honor, but Jones is totally outing himself here and I'm surprised at how many aren't able to see it. I've been one of Calipari's biggest critics for years now and even I cannot ignore the problems with this nonsense from Matt Jones.

Calipari will not allow a player to swindle him financially. He's never been a guy who would allow a player to fleece him like that and because Calipari is a control freak there's no way any of this is true. He would be relinquishing all power to the player himself because once you go down that road you'll never have an upper hand over a guy like that. On top of that the money donors would be in control of Calipari in this situation and he's not going to allow that either.

Use some sense and you'll read through this. Arkansas, if they were interested in going this route, would have a football team competing with the best right now, and as you've noticed, they can't even keep up with Tennessee in bidding wars.

Jerry Jones does not care about the University of Arkansas. He never has and he never will, and even if he did begin to, he would target football. Ask any Arkasnas fan with knowledge, they've wanted Jones to get involved in that University for years, he barely has a building named after him. The Walton's do not care about Arkansas either, that is double true for basketball. The Tyson guy isn't going to throw a ton of money away to this degree.

This is pure PR bullshit that's easy to read through. Arkansas going this route would completely destroy them and set a based precedent. Calipari would lose control to the player and the booster. Arkansas football would be wanting the exact same, so it would all collapse and immediate problems would exist even within their own athletics department. This is low lying fruit for the rumor mill to drive interests in Arkansas basketball because it's basketball and really they don't care. This is about nothing more than "pay attention to me". They've been self promoting like mad since Calipari got there. This is just more of the same.

Jones knows this so this is just another case of him knowingly lying to drive traffic. Even when I try with him he's just acts like a liar I cannot continue further. Arkasnas would have been doing this for TWO years now and especially in football. They didn't, and they didn't just suddenly realize NIL is a thing because Cal brought the information over with him.

Last edited:
Carr & Williams would work, but I don’t know how to fit osobor into all this
I think Carr pairs nicely with both players. Just think you get 80 minutes to split at the 4 and 5. Williams only played 23 MPG last year at Drexel and Pope subs more than Cal. If you lock Williams in for under 30 MPG and probably closer to 25 or so, there are a lot of minutes still left for multiple other guys. Carr can space the floor on offense with either guy who will play closer to the basket. On D he provides length next to Osobor who is not the tallest guy in the world.

Was the report on Carr encouraging for him coming?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT