ADVERTISEMENT

Johnell Davis

Orlando would have been a much better hire than Hart.
Lol you've gotta be a troll or ignorant, 1 of the 2. In no world is that true. Davis is a young stud, Orlando is aging and a Cal guy. The correct decision was made

I seriously don't think you're a UK fan. If you are, find a new team because you seem to hate our AD and Coaching hire. We don't need fans like you. If you're a real fan lol

We know for a fact without a shadow of a doubt who the better recruiter is and that’s Orlando. Seeing as that’s the big issue with the staff I don’t see how you could say Hart is better or even the same as Orlando.
When you say better you're basing that off of OA's body of work as a recruiter.
You have no way of knowing who is better going forward.
I think Pope made the right move all things considered.

He still could have been hired in addition to Hart it wasn’t one or the other. Seems like Hart has even more National respect than Antigua.
That’s it right there. From what I’ve seen Pope put together (according to a lot of people in the know and I mean a lot) a top coaching staff. This didn’t include Antigua and I liked Antigua the most out of anyone from the previous staff….

When you say better you're basing that off of OA's body of work as a recruiter.
You have no way of knowing who is better going forward.
I think Pope made the right move all things considered.
I agree. I doubt any of us here know enough about Antigua or Hart’s recruiting/coaching abilities to say who would be better at this point. From the outside it appears that Antigua was good at getting OAD high school kids to agree to “suffer” through a few months at UK. And maybe recruiting from the portal would be similar in some ways to that, although not exactly the same. But is a coach on the staff that recruits just a guy who the head coach tells: “I want that guy, go convince him to come.”? It seems to me that some folks suggest that might kind of be the sum of it with some of these assistant coaches. And no doubt getting players has to be job No. 1. But if I were a head coach, I believe that I would at least hope for more than that from an assistant coach.

I would want (and be prepared to pay a premium for) a coach that was also good at identifying talent; projecting what a player could become with a year or two of development; and gauging guys who can accept coaching, buy-in to a plan and team concept and not be too quick to jump after one year. I believe the days of logging onto a recruiting site and saying “ok, those are the 15-20 guys we want, go convince 4 to 5 of them that we can get them to the NBA in a few months,” is (thank God) over. Looks like UK has now decided to join the smart teams that want to chase championships instead of distracting a gullible fan base with shiny new objects. If that's true, then the question is who is the better assistant coach to do that.

Well u have to think they only get one of Davis or Wagner right? Top transfers and 5 star freshmen very very rarely go to a school and come off the bench. Cal was able to convince some to do that but the top transfers are playing for a shot to have a better career in the future they most often don’t have the time to waste. Just hope we can get one starting guard soon and build around that. As far as recruiting freshmen for next year our style and the talent we have and how we look on the court this season will go a long way in convincing some kids to give us a shot

Well u have to think they only get one of Davis or Wagner right? Top transfers and 5 star freshmen very very rarely go to a school and come off the bench. Cal was able to convince some to do that but the top transfers are playing for a shot to have a better career in the future they most often don’t have the time to waste. Just hope we can get one starting guard soon and build around that. As far as recruiting freshmen for next year our style and the talent we have and how we look on the court this season will go a long way in convincing some kids to give us a shot
Billy richmond will also go to Arkansas.

It will play out like it always does though at the end of season u go pro or transfer. There are other options most places like coming back but so many get recruited over they feel like that’s never an option. That’s the biggest change I hope to see here is that if we get a few 5 stars and they don’t like the feedback after freshman year that UK will be where they stay and improve their game. Shouldn’t be another 5 star waiting in the wings to take all the minutes away.

Reactions: JASUN74
Gotta think Arkansas is off the table now with Fland going there? And possibly DJ?
Davis is a SG. Fland and DJ are points. Wouldn’t surprise me if DJ went elsewhere at this point. Although I don’t know why he would. He knows for a fact he will start and get playing time with Kal no matter how bad he is.

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
He still could have been hired in addition to Hart it wasn’t one or the other. Seems like Hart has even more National respect than Antigua.
I know most here tend to favor whichever direction UK goes, regardless if it’s the right move or not. So we’ll see if y’all still think Hart is better than Orlando in a year or two.

From everything that’s been said it sounds like Pope wanted two recruiters. Brooks is the best of the two we have so that’s why I had it as a Hart v Orlando thing. I’m not hiring a guy based on what people think he can do. I’m hiring based on their history and proven results. Hart doesn’t even compare to Orlando when it comes to that in recruiting.

Davis is a SG. Fland and DJ are points. Wouldn’t surprise me if DJ went elsewhere at this point. Although I don’t know why he would. He knows for a fact he will start and get playing time with Kal no matter how bad he is.
Davis is not going to Arkansas if Wagner and Boogie are there. Good try though.

Davis is not going to Arkansas if Wagner and Boogie are there. Good try though.
If Jerry whips out $2-4 million dollars he would. Hes better than DJ and Fland anyway although that means nothing to Kal. Even if he doesn’t go there, I’ve seen nothing that would make me think he comes here.

I know most here tend to favor whichever direction UK goes, regardless if it’s the right move or not. So we’ll see if y’all still think Hart is better than Orlando in a year or two.

From everything that’s been said it sounds like Pope wanted two recruiters. Brooks is the best of the two we have so that’s why I had it as a Hart v Orlando thing. I’m not hiring a guy based on what people think he can do. I’m hiring based on their history and proven results. Hart doesn’t even compare to Orlando when it comes to that in recruiting.
I don’t think Antigua is a bad recruiter or anything. I kinda wanted him to stay because he actually seemed to like it here. I’m just saying Hart is very nationally respected and with Brooks we have a good staff regardless.

Reactions: G-PIP and Warf2012

So, do you think Antigua is a better recruiter because of the 5-star and OAD recruits brought in to UK since he’s been there, or is it some talent evaluation or coaching ability you’ve seen? Because if it’s the former, me (and maybe others) don’t necessarily view that as being a better recruiter in regard to winning in CBB. But that’s a matter of opinion, and you may well want to see UK “win” the recruiting title and you’re excited to see freshmen try to carry the team and see where they get drafted after the season (or where they transfer to because UK didn’t deliver on the promise to get them drafted after 8 months). If that’s the kind of roster building you want, then I understand the desire for Antigua.

So, do you think Antigua is a better recruiter because of the 5-star and OAD recruits brought in to UK since he’s been there, or is it some talent evaluation or coaching ability you’ve seen? Because if it’s the former, me (and maybe others) don’t necessarily view that as being a better recruiter in regard to winning in CBB. But that’s a matter of opinion, and you may well want to see UK “win” the recruiting title and you’re excited to see freshmen try to carry the team and see where they get drafted after the season (or where they transfer to because UK didn’t deliver on the promise to get them drafted after 8 months). If that’s the kind of roster building you want, then I understand the desire for Antigua.
I think he’s the better recruiter because he’s repeatedly shown he can go get whoever he wants. We probably wouldn’t be whiffing on all our targets right now if he were on staff.

I think it may also have something to do with area of expertise. Cal was always a point guard guy, and Orlando was recruiting the big men. Pope when he was the only one on the staff is when we signed Williams and started hearing the Great rumors so maybe being a big himself Pope likes to take care of that so he doesn't want a big man recruiter.

You don't think Pope wanted Brea,Liam,Roach,Davis?
Sure he did. But listing four players out of 40+ prospects he's talked to isn't what you were describing. And even then, not really four - nonsensical to count anybody's UConn losses right now for obvious reasons. Cal wanted Liam too, and Cal has his super-staff with him and everything. UConn earned it. They'll fill out their 13 spots, then everybody else will pick.

We haven't even heard >50% of the names that Pope is talking to at the moment. There is a time when you should be worried, but we're not particularly close to it yet.

Sure he did. But listing four players out of 40+ prospects he's talked to isn't what you were describing. And even then, not really four - nonsensical to count anybody's UConn losses right now for obvious reasons. Cal wanted Liam too, and Cal has his super-staff with him and everything. UConn earned it. They'll fill out their 13 spots, then everybody else will pick.

We haven't even heard >50% of the names that Pope is talking to at the moment. There is a time when you should be worried, but we're not particularly close to it yet.
You are funny. He didn't miss on everyone just the really talented guys. If KENTUCKY on the front of the chest means anything why didn't we get the top guys. We can get all the Butlers you want but I want to get Brea's or Davis's that are in the portal.

Hart was doing pretty damn well getting all those five stars to play for the overtime or ignite or whatever it was. Seems like it’s closer than you believe. Check all the kids who choose to play for him and that organization over college basketball. I think I’d take a Scoot Henderson and every single guy who chose to go there. Of course Kentucky got some damn great players as well but it’s not night and day difference or whatever you’re thinking. Also, I’d think most Kentucky kids chose to play for Cal and not just Orlando. I to wouldn’t care to have kept him but I’m happy as can be with Hart.

You are funny. He didn't miss on everyone just the really talented guys. If KENTUCKY on the front of the chest means anything why didn't we get the top guys. We can get all the Butlers you want but I want to get Brea's or Davis's that are in the portal.
You're right, he didn't miss on much up to this point given the total pool of talent.

Who said that Kentucky in a vacuum means anything to star kids? Not me, goofy.

It means nothing to random kids from across the country except TV time/exposure. TV time and big NIL alone aren't gonna get us Cal classes, but they'll get us enough talent to win Tubby or Rick style.

Now go do something with your life more worthwhile than trolling rival boards on a Friday night. I heard the Louisville site is giving out free blunts for anybody who has applied to at least one job this week.

Reactions: Fox2monk and ib4ky
You're right, he didn't miss on much up to this point given the total pool of talent.

Who said that Kentucky in a vacuum means anything to star kids? Not me, goofy.

It means nothing to random kids from across the country except TV time/exposure. TV time and big NIL alone aren't gonna get us Cal classes, but they'll get us enough talent to win Tubby or Rick style.

Now go do something with your life more worthwhile than trolling rival boards on a Friday night. I heard the Louisville site is giving out free blunts for anybody who has applied to at least one job this week.
Nobody said get Cal's classes. But it would be nice to have some talented dudes. So far we getting middle of the road talent and it won't work in SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT