ADVERTISEMENT

Jay’viar Suggs

Apr 23, 2024
Dl Suggs supposed to be visiting soon looks like some big schools are after him. 5 sacks last year two years of eligibility left. Visited Arkansas and has a visit lined up with Florida State also.

According to public information, Suggs plans to take a number of other visits after UK. He is about the same size as Jerod Smith. We have three open scholarships on our 2024 roster and we need multiple WRs. I just can't see Suggs ending up here.

Yeah not sure why they would bring him in if they didn’t think it was a need. I know it’s getting to be crunch time with who and how many we can take

Reactions: Girthang
Lost 2? Transfer or injury?
But I'm lost on why the questions about DL depth.... Don't we still have

NG - Silver
DT - Deonne Walker/Ox
DE - Rybka/Saunders

So the only major hole I see is backup NG to Silver....but Gadsen and Zeismer were always going to play DE or DT...never NG.

I am lost on what the DL depth is coming from. That is a solid and proven unit that is ready for 2024.

NG - Silver
DT - Deonne Walker/Ox
DE - Rybka/Saunders

So the only major hole I see is backup NG to Silver....but Gadsen and Zeismer were always going to play DE or DT...never NG.

I am lost on what the DL depth is coming from. That is a solid and proven unit that is ready for 2024.
Need 8-10 man DL rotation even if it's just for a handful of plays by some. Keeps big bodies rested for crunch time.

NG - Silver
DT - Deonne Walker/Ox
DE - Rybka/Saunders

DE- /Saunders/Rybka/Robinson
DT- Walker/Oxendine/DHY/Jerod
NT- Hayes/Silver/Gilbert

We don't have a DL depth problem in 2024. Some still insist we do, but we don't. There were a couple of spring injuries to players down the depth chart. At some point, they will be back. In the meantime, all our DL starters and most of our key backups are back, plus true freshman Brian Robinson is arguably the highest upside defensive recruit of the Stoops era. Plus Jerod Smith who also has star potential. DHY missed spring practice to rehab, but I haven't seen any public information to make me think he won't be ready for the season.

However, the following will be gone by our 2025 season-

Josaih Hayes
Octavious Oxendine
TreVonn Rybka
Deone Walker (NFL draft)
DHY

That means new DL starters for 2025. Brian Robinson should be one. Coach White and Coach Stewart will have to rebuild quality DL depth in 2025.

Suggs has two years of eligibility left. That is an attraction. I think I understand why he was invited to visit. The roster math changes by the week at this time of year. All other things being equal, you can always use another experienced interior defensive lineman, especially with the above list using up their eligibility next fall. But 82 scholarships are full now that Crease is here. The spring transfer window closes today, which might mean no more outbound transfers. We really need multiple WR additions. Ideally WRs should use two of the three available scholarships. Other needs can be said to include RB, QB, OT, CB, although none of those needs are as acute as WR.

Last edited:
We don't have a DL depth problem in 2024. Some still insist we do, but we don't. There were a couple of spring injuries to players down the depth chart. At some point, they will be back. In the meantime, all our DL starters and most of our key backups are back, plus true freshman Brian Robinson is arguably the highest upside defensive recruit of the Stoops era. Plus Jerod Smith who also has star potential. DHY missed spring practice to rehab, but I haven't seen any public information to make me think he won't be ready for the season.

Josaih Hayes
Octavious Oxendine
TreVonn Rybka
Deone Walker (NFL draft)
DHY

That means new DL starters for 2025. Brian Robinson should be one. Coach White and Coach Stewart will have to rebuild quality DL depth in 2025.

Suggs has two years of eligibility left. That is an attraction. I think I understand why he was invited to visit. The roster math changes by the week at this time of year. All other things being equal, youn can always use anothee experienced interior defensive lineman, especially with the above list using up their eligibility next fall. But 82 scholarships are full now that Crease is here. The spring transfer window closes today, which might mean no more outbound transfers. We really need multiple WR additions. Ideally WRs should use two of the three available scholarships. Other needs can be said to include RB, QB, OT, CB, although none of those needs are as acute as WR.
Hayes is quietly hurt. Thin at NG

Reactions: Girthang
DE- /Saunders/Rybka/Robinson
DT- Walker/Oxendine/DHY/Jerod
NT- Hayes/Silver/Gilbert

Josaih Hayes
Octavious Oxendine
TreVonn Rybka
Deone Walker (NFL draft)
DHY

Suggs has two years of eligibility left. That is an attraction. I think I understand why he was invited to visit. The roster math changes by the week at this time of year. All other things being equal, youn can always use anothee experienced interior defensive lineman, especially with the above list using up their eligibility next fall. But 82 scholarships are full now that Crease is here. The spring transfer window closes today, which might mean no more outbound transfers. We really need multiple WR additions. Ideally WRs should use two of the three available scholarships. Other needs can be said to include RB, QB, OT, CB, although none of those needs are as acute as WR.
OK that makes sense as our DL will take a hit with departures after this season.....but I was stuck on if 2024 depth and again, don't see it in 2024 but 2025 is a whole different ball game.

According to public information, Suggs plans to take a number of other visits after UK. He is about the same size as Jerod Smith. We have three open scholarships on our 2024 roster and we need multiple WRs. I just can't see Suggs ending up here.
Need multiple WR? No we don't. Good luck convincing a portal WR to come.... Now next year if dane and Barion leave should be pretty easy to find replacements in the portal but this year? lol needed DL last I checked.

Might just eclipse Josh Allen’s 6th ranking in the ‘19 Class.

Could he be our first number one since Tim Couch?

Very unlikely, as NFL teams focus on the QB position, but . . . .

It’s hard to teach a player to be 6’ 6” 350 lbs. and agile!!!!!
I hope you’re right but I don’t think it’s a position that most teams spend a top 5 pick on.

Might just eclipse Josh Allen’s 6th ranking in the ‘19 Class.

Won't happen. Late 1st round or 2nd.

Could he be our first number one since Tim Couch?

No. And that isn't a knock.

It’s hard to teach a player to be 6’ 6” 350 lbs. and agile!!!!!

Those are very nice tools. But not unique. Walker is an excellent player but hasn't approached the kind of player he can become. There wasn't enough improvement between 2022 and 2023. His performance in 2024 will determine how wealthy he will be in 2025.

Won't happen. Late 1st round or 2nd.

No. And that isn't a knock.

Those are very nice tools. But not unique. Walker is an excellent player but hasn't approached the kind of player he can become. There wasn't enough improvement between 2022 and 2023. His performance in 2024 will determine how wealthy he will be in 2025.
So much is effort. Allen was in the kind of shape he could go 100% every play. If Walker wants to be a billionaire down the road all he has to do is dedicate himself to get in that kind of shape and take 0 plays off the rest of his career. He has the body, athleticism and size. Just a mental thing of how hard he wants to work and how dedicated he can become.

Last edited:
So much is effort. Allen was in the kind of shape he could go 100% every play. If Walker wants to be a billion down the road all he has to do is dedicate himself to get in that kind of shape and take 0 plays off the rest of his career. He has the body, athleticism and size. Just a mental thing of how hard he wants to work and how dedicated he can become.

Maybe maturity level. Maybe temperament. We will see. By all accounts, he is a good kid. He is certainly a good football player. But everyone's motor is different.

Josh Allen is not the only 6'5" 260# rush linebacker in the NFL. He is special because of his work ethic and motor. Over time, Deone will show us what he's made of.

Reactions: UKat1 and JASUN74
Maybe maturity level. Maybe temperament. We will see. By all accounts, he is a good kid. He is certainly a good football player. But everyone's motor is different.

Josh Allen is not the only 6'5" 260# rush linebacker in the NFL. He is special because of his work ethic and motor. Over time, Deone will show us what he's made of.
'25 mock I saw recently had Deone Walker to Rams with 19th pick. Of course, there's a long way to go but a good starting point.

Reactions: Davae9
No, I wondered why he is a hot get right now. Two years left just adds to his value.
If UK did indeed lose Zeismer/Gadson to injuries that may require them missing all or part of '24, a DL pickup is a must. Don't forget DH-Y is recovering from surgery too. Most really good D college teams have 8-10 man DL rotation. Gotta keep the big guys fresh!

So much is effort. Allen was in the kind of shape he could go 100% every play. If Walker wants to be a billionaire down the road all he has to do is dedicate himself to get in that kind of shape and take 0 plays off the rest of his career. He has the body, athleticism and size. Just a mental thing of how hard he wants to work and how dedicated he can become.
Allen stayed for his RS Sr year too, didn't he? Not that I expect Walker too, but I sure would appreciate if he stayed for his Sr year!

I doubt our chances are very good, hope I'm very wrong. Miami has opened the money fire hose to buy a CFB playoff roster. LSU can sell he will be a big piece of their rebuilding defense.

I doubt our chances are very good, hope I'm very wrong. Miami has opened the money fire hose to buy a CFB playoff roster. LSU can sell he will be a big piece of their rebuilding defense.
I think Michigan was one? If so, would think it would be hard to match that. Agree, chances may not be real good. At least we pulled ahead of some programs for some good reason.

Reactions: JASUN74

But HC at LSU said they werent going to buy players...FWIW

Reactions: JASUN74

NG - Silver
DT - Deonne Walker/Ox
DE - Rybka/Saunders

Definitely need some depth and guys who can replace Walker and OX once they leave. Barring injury, I have to think Walker is bound for the NFL after this year, he's likely a first round pick. Not sure if Ox has any eligibility left after this year. He enrolled in Jan. 2020, so he may actually have a covid year left if he wants it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT