ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Vinson visiting

You still need the studs to win anything.
Assuming that's true, would All-conference players satisfy that in your mind, or would it have to be from a Power-5 conference? Or are you talking about a player from last season's All-American list? If it's the latter, how many of those guys have entered the portal?

You still need the studs to win anything.
Who was UConns stud this past year? Castle had potential but he didn’t put up unreal numbers, newton karaban and the 2 white guys are just all really good college players.
Clignan is great defensively but I wouldn’t label him as a stud can’t miss prospect or anything. Getting guys that fit and can play off of one another is much more important than just getting a bunch of guys with insane talent and potential

Who was UConns stud this past year? Castle had potential but he didn’t put up unreal numbers, newton karaban and the 2 white guys are just all really good college players.
Clignan is great defensively but I wouldn’t label him as a stud can’t miss prospect or anything. Getting guys that fit and can play off of one another is much more important than just getting a bunch of guys with insane talent and potential
You realize 3 of their guys are expected to go in the first round of the draft?

At this rate we won't have any rides left,lol.
This poses a good question. Do the players even care if they are a walk on or scholarship player if the NIL is right? You give me enough NIL cash and what do I care about the scholarship, unless that prevents me from living in lodge or something but I’m sure exceptions can be made.

2 of there guys are getting drafted in fhe first round, and both were good college players but weren’t superstars like you are saying. This whole notion that you have to have 2-3 studs to win is calipari stuff. UConn had really good teams and didn’t have superstars. Clignan is really good but he ain’t a superstar, castle is really good but he ain’t a superstar either.

If we take this guy does that close the door on us being able to take Will Riley as a reclass?

Where is EJ Floreal when you need him???

Reactions: JASUN74
2 of there guys are getting drafted in fhe first round, and both were good college players but weren’t superstars like you are saying. This whole notion that you have to have 2-3 studs to win is calipari stuff. UConn had really good teams and didn’t have superstars. Clignan is really good but he ain’t a superstar, castle is really good but he ain’t a superstar either.
Has zero to do with Cal. I said ONE stud which is a big difference.

Has zero to do with Cal. I said ONE stud which is a big difference.
Okay fair enough, but the idea that you can’t win with a bunch of good players instead of stud guys isn’t college basketball anymore. The last 4 national champions all won with a bunch of good players and didn’t have a clear stud. I agree Kentucky does need one go to guy but the stud elite guys and needing multiples of them is in the past

Okay fair enough, but the idea that you can’t win with a bunch of good players instead of stud guys isn’t college basketball anymore. The last 4 national champions all won with a bunch of good players and didn’t have a clear stud. I agree Kentucky does need one go to guy but the stud elite guys and needing multiples of them is in the past
If it's all about Pope's great system of offense why did he lose to Duquesne in the tourney?

It's clear Cal quit pretending to coach but Pope hasn't done anything either and has never won anything. Why does he get a pass?
If you wanna nitpick a coach who hasn’t even been here 2 months have at it man. That seems like a bad way to go about things. Pope is getting a pass from the fans who are being reasonable because he won at BYU with a fraction of the resources he has now and he has shown an ability to actually coach and make adjustments.

If you wanna nitpick a coach who hasn’t even been here 2 months have at it man. That seems like a bad way to go about things. Pope is getting a pass from the fans who are being reasonable because he won at BYU with a fraction of the resources he has now and he has shown an ability to actually coach and make adjustments.
What did he win at BYU?

No you can’t. Not when they were recruited as a scholarship player.
lol. Yeah, not unless they asked to help the team or something. I’m sure they’d still end up getting a lot of money to pay for it but these two have earned theirs so I’m not seeing it. Would become a legend automatically if they did. Haha. Anyway.

I agree.
I also think some forget about the experience factor. This team isn't going to be intimidated by anybody. Once Pope and the staff get these guys here and start getting them all on the same page with how things will be done, I think BBN is in for a very pleasant surprise in Pope's first season.
Cat fan, not trying to be a butt or anything, but I don’t think anyone has forgotten, it just the new 15 years or so new fans and that’s all they’ve ever known. Most of them know how it should be though but they’re still trying to see it done right for Kentucky instead of being done to get guys to the NBA. I’m so damn glad to be moving from that shiiit. lol. They’re gonna see it done the right way for the greatest program in the history of the sport real soon. I definitely agree with the post though.

Reactions: Catfan2226
About this kid, should we take him? Are you all crazy or something. Lmao. Hell yes you take him. He’s a defensive monster and has just as much or better potential than Bradshaw ever thought about! He’s been coached by the best and runs the floor like a deer. Has great touch and the best part is he wouldn’t have to actually play decent minutes for a year or two. Plays with Magwood who I’m going to say right now, even though he’s not ranked in the top 25 yet you better believe he’s going to climb high before it’s said and done. All these high ranked kids that’s played here , yeah they go on the become great later in the nba but we rarely got to see them for a couple years. This is a guy who could work hard for a year and then really help us. It may even help with future recruiting at Oak Hill. Anyone who plays big minutes for them are really good but they all are tough after they Leave there. Anyway, Would love to have him as our last roster spot after another starter type player and call it a win. My opinion of course but this guy has a ton of potential.

We had an Oak Hill guy just two years ago in Livingston. Not to mention Lamb, Rondo, Jules Camara, Alex Legion, Cliff Hawkins & Rashaad Carruth. We’ve done pretty well with Oak Hill kids, historically.
Did Brisco play there his last season? I thought maybe he did but can’t remember. Maybe not as he was from up in Philly I think wasn’t he? lol. Brain fart.

Yes but I think what he’s saying is , they played team basketball and no one was the so called man. It was a team effort and that’s how it’s going to be here until we get those can’t miss all Americans that’ll eventually come. Who knows we could actually have one on the team already. All these guys will improve and be better this season than they’ve ever been in their lives up till now. Kentucky will get the benefit of years and years of hard work. They did have some studs last year that may could’ve scored 20 plus a game but they didn’t have to, they won’t have to here either with this group to be their best in my opinion.

If it's all about Pope's great system of offense why did he lose to Duquesne in the tourney?
better teams lose games sometimes, it’s what make college basketball great. I think Kentucky probably had better players than Oakland as well but they lost to. It happens, it sucked and now I’m mad at myself for mentioning it. Haha. I should’ve left it alone ukmelanie. lol.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
What did he win at BYU?
First he had restrictions on what players he could have there which left him with his hands tied behind his back going against power 5 schools, generally speaking. While I think the topic is you might not necessarily need an all star or AD type talent with the right coach, you do need some talent.

To Answer your question, he made it as far as Cal did in the tourney with a lot less talent, beat Kansas at Kansas last year which Cal wasn’t able to do but once (in ‘22). He also beat up Iowa St last year pretty good as well for a few ranked teams.

• Love
Reactions: westerncat
The 6-11 210 big has visited SC, will be visiting Rutgers this weekend and then UK Monday and Tuesday. He is said to have a 'sky high ceiling.' Right now his strength is back to the basket and dunking it. But has shown flashes of ball handling, passing and 3 point shooting. Being from TX, it is assumed that Brooks knows this guy and is the lead on recruiting him. Mentioned that with only three players on the roster over 6-7 he would help make the roster more balanced. Also would give us two bigs back next year with a years experience in the system. Seems to have some potential of developing into a four in this system. Then if we get Moreno next season would give us three high potential bigs to work with.

This would be a waste. He would be here this year, see the floor 1 or 2 times against whogivesacrap U for 3 minutes, leave mid season or after the season. Just pass and go on and get the best options for 2024-25 season. UK Luck you can never tell who might get hurt.

I kinda agree with this. To be honest I cant name you one player off the 23 UCONN national championship team, so obviously no superstars, and Im a pretty big college basketball fan.

I'm all for projects, but have a feeling Pope does not take this particular kid.

I agree.
I also think some forget about the experience factor. This team isn't going to be intimidated by anybody. Once Pope and the staff get these guys here and start getting them all on the same page with how things will be done, I think BBN is in for a very pleasant surprise in Pope's first season.
I do as well; they may take some lumps early on, but I just feel as though Coach Pope will have them running like a well oiled machine.

I didn't get a reply when I asked this before and if no one knows, that's ok. Just wondering, is there any reason why a walk on can or can't get nil money? Not talking about big money, but if they can, the roster is essentialy as deep as you are willing to pay for, now....from nil funds, of course. Seems like a way to add a late stud or similar, simply by converting them to walk-on status but paying scholly value in addition to his nil agreement kinda thing.

I didn't get a reply when I asked this before and if no one knows, that's ok. Just wondering, is there any reason why a walk on can or can't get nil money? Not talking about big money, but if they can, the roster is essentialy as deep as you are willing to pay for, now.
I would assume a walk on can get NIL money just like a cheerleader or dance member could as well. I think NIL benefits more than just basketball or football in athletics so walk ons can benefit with their name image and likeness as well.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
I would assume a walk on can get NIL money just like a cheerleader or dance member could as well. I think NIL benefits more than just basketball or football in athletics so walk ons can benefit with their name image and likeness as well.
Wouldn't that make signing a really good player later a possibility. IOW, no real hurry to take someone else due to time. If a kid pulls out of the nba combine for example. You just convert his or someone else's status to walk on and bump their nil to compensate for tuition etc. I'm probably missing something but it seems logical. Isn't the roster limit 15 players?

When? You mean like the ones we kept on the bench last year?
the quality of depth to execute the supposed gamelan is perfect.

A bit harsh.

260px-Gamelan_Player_1.JPG

Reactions: travisbickle
Wouldn't that make signing a really good player later a possibility. IOW, no real hurry to take someone else due to time. If a kid pulls out of the nba combine for example. You just convert his or someone else's status to walk on and bump their nil to compensate for tuition etc. I'm probably missing something but it seems logical. Isn't the roster limit 15 players?
I guess in theory it is entirely possible. I think in SEC play a team is allowed a maximum of 15 players on the bench. If I'm wrong then my apologies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT