ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Murray announcing tomorrow (6/24) on TSN at 6 PM

How does debate/discussion on a Kentucky message board help Murray? Especially since we all assume he's going to Oregon.

You are still assuming that it was changed. The most simple explanation is that the Canadian reporter either got the date wrong or just made it up.

If you think the only eyes on this are on RR then maybe you are right BUT the reality is that the Canadian and U.S. media are watching too or he wouldn't bother doing it live on Canadian TV

i think it's entirely possible that the Oregon player jumped the gun before a final decision was made. Supposedly, all of our guys were convinced that some recruit was coming based on what he said on a visit and it turned out he didn't. Could be the same thing. Maybe I am believing what I want to believe, and before we found out that Canadian guy was full of it, I did think it was Oregon for sure. Now I have hope.

If you think the only eyes on this are on RR then maybe you are right BUT the reality is that the Canadian and U.S. media are watching too or he wouldn't bother doing it live on Canadian TV
I doubt anyone will care about the announcement once he chooses Oregon.

I still don't understand how choosing on Wednesday is better than choosing today. What benefit does it create for Murray? It doesn't distract anyone so why bother changing the date? If hype is what he was looking for then he needs a better PR guy because he could have been hyping the life out of this over the last 2 months and he hasn't done anything to promote himself or his decision.

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden
I understand that, but it's not like announcing the following day (if it is still Oregon) is going to fool anyone, so what is the point? To keep everyone guessing for 24 more hours? For what?

So you think it's coincidence that the false time was today and the real time is tomorrow? You think a Canadian journalist made up an arbitrary date and time and then it was debunked and the real time was 24 hrs later? Seems to me he had it right the first time and the fan changed it. And yeah it has started the questioning of all the info that has come out the last two days. If he were to announce today we wouldn't be having this discussion. We would be discussing the recruiting loss or life next season wo Murray.

Wait, so did MJ say we had a great chance today on radio?
He said he had heard from a source last week that Wednesday was the likely decision date... so once it leaked that it would be Tuesday he was a little uneasy. He said if we find out it is Wednesday then he has a little bit more hope.

We should all be prepared for Murray to pick Oregon. It makes zero basketball sense, and that's kind of how 2015 has gone.

I still don't understand how choosing on Wednesday is better than choosing today. What benefit does it create for Murray? It doesn't distract anyone so why bother changing the date? If hype is what he was looking for then he needs a better PR guy because he could have been hyping the life out of this over the last 2 months and he hasn't done anything to promote himself or his decision.

Exactly, nothing the Murrays have done fits in with the stereotype of the player or player's family seeking fame or hype. That's why I don't put any stock in the timing or venue of the announcement. If it wasn't for the Cook tweet, everything would point to UK, so really the only thing pointing to Oregon is that one tweet. Not saying it's wrong, but now that we now the other guy was wrong, I don't see why we need to be so pessimistic about it.

So you think it's coincidence that the false time was today and the real time is tomorrow? You think a Canadian journalist made up an arbitrary date and time and then it was debunked and the real time was 24 hrs later? Seems to me he had it right the first time and the fan changed it. And yeah it has started the questioning of all the info that has come out the last two days. If he were to announce today we wouldn't be having this discussion. We would be discussing the recruiting loss or life next season wo Murray.

Supposedly ESPNU got calls asking about this, and they didn't know what they were talking about. Both ESPNU and the Murrays said the guy was wrong. Why do you believe him?

Studying hard,Finishing his school work so that if he so chooses he can reclassify to 2015 he can.. I don't see a lot of hype, Except from us UK fans.. We have here viewing the doubters, The believers , The I don't really cares. And the who gives a crap. It has been a hard spring recruiting and I hope Cal and the Cats pull this out...

So you think he's going to Oregon? And what high schooler hires a PR guy? His parents are his PR people and I'm sure they are doing what they can to overcome the leak and attempt to give their kid his day in the sun. All they can really do is delay the announcement And the fact it's exactly a 24 hr delay should tell you it is not coincidence.

latest

I'm starting to get my hopes up a little, but this image keeps appearing in my mind.

IF! you believe Matt though from some reports I've read he was under the impression the decision was to come tomorrow prior to all the craziness about today. So IF you believe that then there is no changing the date or time of the announcement.

Supposedly ESPNU got calls asking about this, and they didn't know what they were talking about. Both ESPNU and the Murrays said the guy was wrong. Why do you believe him?

Logic...why did they decide to do exactly 24 hrs later? Coincidence? Maybe they wanted espnu and they were unwilling to pick it up due to regular programming. This wasn't all made up...there is some truth in it.

Logic...why did they decide to do exactly 24 hrs later? Coincidence? Maybe they wanted espnu and they were unwilling to pick it up due to regular programming. This wasn't all made up...there is some truth in it.

Damn dude, how many times does someone have to tell you that today's date is highly suspect or bogus? Nobody has confirmed it was supposed to be today. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Dave, Is that a shot in the dark guess or more than that? I know you are well respected...

To be fair, Matt Jones said like last week that he expected Murray to announce this Wednesday (which is tomorrow, obviously). That report came out long before anything else.

I follow the crystal ball more closely than some. All the recent picks for Oregon, can't recall an example of where a late shift didn't lead to that school being the choice. Of course, as a Duke fan I certainly don't want him going to UK, so maybe I'm just a bit biased. :)

If you are building a brand for the NBA? Seriously it's the equivalent of Donald Trump announcing he's going to run for president on WYMT...

And an announcement on ESPNU would help him do that, how?

i don't get why anyone is trying to read anything into the date, time, or venue of this announcement. Seems entirely random and in tune with the low-key history of this kid.

Reactions: madison1329
I really don't think we get him.

I think Cal got in too late.

Recruiting is all about relationships and Altman has been recruiting this kid forever.

I don't think it's the smart business decision, but there's a lot of times that the heart wins out over the head.

I hope it works out for him.

If you are building a brand for the NBA? Seriously it's the equivalent of Donald Trump announcing he's going to run for president on WYMT...

Some of you are really delusional. Do you really think announcing on ESPNU makes any difference for his "brand"? No one outside of UK fans gives a crap about what Murray does. Announcing on the most watched sports network in ALL of Canada >>>>> announcing on ESPNU where maybe a few thousand people will tune in to watch.

Reactions: Wildcat134
We should all be prepared for Murray to pick Oregon. It makes zero basketball sense, and that's kind of how 2015 has gone.

This is pretty much how I'm handling his decision at this point, no matter what Jones has said about Wednesday VS Tuesday announcement. Just been one of those inexplicable Springs this year for Cal and UK and I expect it will continue. Still don't see what Murray sees in UO but it's his decision, not mine.

Who remembers how Noel announced? Did the UK shaved into his head not begin his "thing." Just saying if I am marketing myself for the NBA and future endorsements do I announce to a Canadian market or US market? It's obvious to me...

I follow the crystal ball more closely than some. All the recent picks for Oregon, can't recall an example of where a late shift didn't lead to that school being the choice. Of course, as a Duke fan I certainly don't want him going to UK, so maybe I'm just a bit biased. :)

Really? Short memory. Last dozen picks for Brown were to Michigan a couple days before he picked California.

Biancardi is the one who announced it was tomorrow, and confirmed by SNY.TV. You should join that other's guys fan club. Seems like you are looking to find reasons he won't come here.

other than the guy tweeting that it's tomorrow. THE SAME GUY who tweeted it was today. Why do you believe him now? You're like a 12 yr old. Put on some man logic and ask yourself if it's coincidental that the same guy who announced both times did so not knowing anything? Come on man
Im thinking Paul Biancardi broke the story this time?

Some of you are really delusional. Do you really think announcing on ESPNU makes any difference for his "brand"? No one outside of UK fans gives a crap about what Murray does. Announcing on the most watched sports network in ALL of Canada >>>>> announcing on ESPNU where maybe a few thousand people will tune in to watch.

Fact: This is a bigger deal to Canada than it is the better part of the United States. Obviously the Kentucky fan base, and what little bit of the Oregon fan base there is, will tune into his announcement, or at least be on the lookout for it, but to Canada, this is their country's best basketball player starting his career. Building a national brand in Canada might be, and likely is the bigger deal to him initially. Obviously if he goes to UK, his brand will expand exponentially, but to kick it off, TSN is the route to go. ESPNU doesn't get as many views as any of the other ESPN networks. It's the biggest sports network in Canada, while ESPNU might be the 4th, or 5th biggest sports network in the U.S.

This is pretty much how I'm handling his decision at this point, no matter what Jones has said about Wednesday VS Tuesday announcement. Just been one of those inexplicable Springs this year for Cal and UK and I expect it will continue. Still don't see what Murray sees in UO but it's his decision, not mine.

Best way to look at it.

Really? Short memory. Last dozen picks for Brown were to Michigan a couple days before he picked California.

This happened, I remember. Also, I think we can attribute a lot of the picks being due to the buzz being generated by the Canadian scouts (who were wrong about everything involving Murray up to this point), and the scout saying that Murray to Oregon being the "consensus" up there. Not farfetched to think that the scout that tweeted that nonsense was wrong 3 times in one tweet, rather than 2 (re: consensus being that he goes to Oregon).

That said though, not hard to see why Oregon is a popular pick. Been recruiting him for 3 years, Altman recruits Canada well, UK missing a lot of recruits this spring, so on and so forth. But if we're basing Murray's decision on what he said himself, in front of everybody (which was that he wants to be the top pick in the draft, and he's going to go where he feels will better his career in basketball), Kentucky is the obvious choice. At this point though, who knows. Maybe things have changed since those comments.

Im thinking Paul Biancardi broke the story this time?

Biancardi broke the story. He spoke with Murray's dad himself. Shows you how good Canadian basketball scouts are. Take a reporter that covers recruiting from a completely different country to find out the actual announcement date (which Matt Jones nailed last week, btw).

Probably just a one year deal for Murray, why would he pass up the chance to experience the best and the biggest? To me this would greatly override giving a coach his talent for one year just because he has recruited him or known him a little longer.

Trying to help Oregon win 20 games versus winning 30+ at UK with a legit chance at the national championship, just think this kids competitive nature sees this and knows his memories here would far out number just about anywhere else.

Jaylen Brown.

Most of the late Crystal Ball predictions were for Michigan and everyone thought it was Michigan or UK going into the announcement.

So it doesn't always work that way.

But I agree with you that he'll go to Oregon.

Reactions: Wildcat134
Hope he decides to become a wildcat, but if not, oh well. We will move on and at the end of the day we're still Kentucky and their not. This recruiting season has been pretty good. It's been a strange recruiting year and i'm glad it's coming to an end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT