ADVERTISEMENT

It's taking everything in me to not just chuck the whole NCAA BB thing

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
Before I say my piece I am not kidding myself. Come November I will be glued to the tube to follow everything UK BB. But I hate what it has become. Maybe if we were winning like the old days it would be easier to take. Does anyone actually enjoy what the sport has become? Let them get paid they said. Give them the freedom to move schools easier they said. Is the game better than it was before all of these drastic changes? In my humble opinion no.
I am an an old fossil I admit it, but that's the way of the world now and I can like it or lump it, I get it.
And if I hear the words handlers, posse, AAU Coach, hangers on, advisors, etc one more time I will be ill.
Sorry for the rant. I enjoy this board and all that post here but will it ever be enjoyable again?

I used to never miss UK games. Tried to watch them live and recorded when I couldn't. But, I think I watched maybe 15 games this year and I'd say maybe I really enjoyed 3 or 4 of them. It's just not good basketball to watch. I'm sure I'll still watch to start next year as well. I don't want to give up UK\NCAA hoops. But honestly, it's just not doing much for me anymore.

I used to never miss UK games. Tried to watch them live and recorded when I couldn't. But, I think I watched maybe 15 games this year and I'd say maybe I really enjoyed 3 or 4 of them. It's just not good basketball to watch. I'm sure I'll still watch to start next year as well. I don't want to give up UK\NCAA hoops. But honestly, it's just not doing much for me anymore.

Same. I didn’t miss a game for over twenty five years straight. This last season I’d forget they were playing at times.

Sad take but I agree with you

Do you agree with my take on the state of NCAA BB overall ? Or am I just an old out of touch man

Uncle

I guess I am old and out of touch to them ! College basketball was my favorite sport above all else. I love the start of the season every year. Now it’s just not the same, at all . Schools getting caught cheating read handed and five years later still noisome to them . What the hell ?! The NCAA has just about ruined this sport
In my eyes

Before I say my piece I am not kidding myself. Come November I will be glued to the tube to follow everything UK BB. But I hate what it has become. Maybe if we were winning like the old days it would be easier to take. Does anyone actually enjoy what the sport has become? Let them get paid they said. Give them the freedom to move schools easier they said. Is the game better than it was before all of these drastic changes? In my humble opinion no.
I am an an old fossil I admit it, but that's the way of the world now and I can like it or lump it, I get it.
And if I hear the words handlers, posse, AAU Coach, hangers on, advisors, etc one more time I will be ill.
Sorry for the rant. I enjoy this board and all that post here but will it ever be enjoyable again?
No it won’t and I agree with what u say. I record all Uk games but only watch if we win and sometimes not even then. Never watch any other games as college b ball is a horrible product. Much less stress cutting basketball out. Thanks to Cal and Mitch and the president of UK.

No it won’t and I agree with what u say. I record all Uk games but only watch if we win and sometimes not even then. Never watch any other games as college b ball is a horrible product. Much less stress cutting basketball out. Thanks to Cal and Mitch and the president of UK.
Yea it’s all Cals and Mitch’s fault LMAO what a sad person you must be

Let them get paid they said. Give them the freedom to move schools easier they said. Is the game better than it was before all of these drastic changes?
The current state of the game is the fault of the NCAA in my opinion, not the general concepts of paying players and giving them more freedom. The NCAA knew this was coming for years and kept its head buried in the sand until the courts forced its hand into a sloppily implemented NIL. It could have taken the last 15 years and worked out a reasonable system, but it did nothing.

Last edited:
Agreed. It is the worst product in sports. Simple things like going to quarters or using a standard basketball are ignored with no hope for change. The officiating is the worst in sports and the players have no commitment.

If I didn’t love Kentucky like I do I would be done already.

It is a crap product and will never change due to NIL IMO. Football you don't get the parity due to players staying 3 or 4 years. So alabama and uga and osu and company still have the best teams due to depth. Not so in basketball.

And what old days OP? Uk has had final four gaps from 2015 to 2023 and 1998 to 2011 in the past 25 years. Other than 98 and 2011 to 2015, hasn't been much spread out success. Before that we had a gap from 84 to 93. 93 to 98 were amazing, as were 2011 to 2015 but over almost the last 40 years we have had 3 periods with an 8 year final four drought or longer.

Maybe you mean 48 to 58. Maybe we can find a modern day Rupp to finally win multiple national titles in his tenure at UK. If uconn can do it why can't UK?

As I get older and have less time to dedicate to watching sports, I suspect the only part of college ball I will really tune in for is March Madness. If Kentucky nails it's next head coaching hire, that will be great.. and I'll for sure tune in. But I'm skeptical. I sense it will be a just-good-enough hire, and we will still have the same type of roster turnover as Cal (just transfers more than NBA). The sport is completely broken right now, and it remains the sport I trust the least in terms of being on the up and up..

I just dont see myself tuning into games in January. I'll really pick it up as the conference tournaments start, but that's about it. Kind of sad to say and think about.. but the sport is dying out.

I feel the same way you do. Sad what UK\NCAA hoops has become.

Reactions: KFuqua and rupp876
Do you agree with my take on the state of NCAA BB overall ? Or am I just an old out of touch man
I do think the game is headed in the wrong direction. I could care less about NIL and would rather not hear it mentioned. The transfer rule needs to be revisited. I want Cal to stop selling the OAD (I know that won't happen). Since Cal won't do that, I'm ready to move on from him. Next year could end up being a great team, who knows. It's still not going to change the things that are broken with the game. At some point if it gets too bad, I'll just stop caring and and find another thing to occupy the 30 or 40 hours I spend watching UK hoops a year. Already starting to do that a bit if I'm honest.

College basketball was ruined many years ago. It’s an awful game. Dictated by coaches and officials.

No one wants to watch coaches coach. No one comes to see the officials.

But college basketball doesn’t care. And the SEC cares even less.

I’m a UK fan. So I watch every minute of every UK game.

The season starts when we play our first game. And ends when we play our last.

Rest of the time I watch the NBA. I don’t like some of rules changes over the last 10 years but it’s still a game of players.

The college game is gimmick defenses and stall ball. And playing to the officials.

I still watch every game but I’ve added my old high school football and bball into my game watches. You might try that … it’s fun and fast. Still amateur ball and team play.

I just watch Kentucky and March Madness games. Other than the sport is borderline unwatchable with how it's played and officiated.

I still watch 90% of the games but if someone wants to go out or I got other plans I don't reschedule around it like I use to.

Reactions: rupp876
Can't gave up. If nothing else it should make you have more passion for the program to turn it around.

I bet I’ve missed 20 games in the last 3 years, and missed MAYBE 10 total the 20 years prior.

Reactions: IFerg1969

At UK it's got so bad that the tail is now waging the dog. Players refusing to play & a gutless coach that allows it to happen.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
Agreed. It is the worst product in sports. Simple things like going to quarters or using a standard basketball are ignored with no hope for change. The officiating is the worst in sports and the players have no commitment.

If I didn’t love Kentucky like I do I would be done already.
I’ve been a fan of college basketball all my life, but never watch anymore of UK isn’t playing. The game has been destroyed

Like it or not, college basketball is all about money and entertainment. It became a business many years ago and it continues to get bigger and bigger. Universities gave up any semblence of integrity by paying coaches millions to make millions for the program (not for the school).

For years, academics were secondary, if they existed at all. Players were exploited. (Many were told they could not major in real subjects if they wanted to play sports.)

At one time, the NCAA really did try to enforce the rules, but ultimately failed in the court and started on the path to where we are today in which UNC and Kansas have zero accountablity.

The NCAA tournament is still great but I watch a lot more NBA than college. I just can't watch football unless both teams run a huddle-less 0ffense. Just like baseball, its like watching paint dry. NBA is much better product and the shooting and ball handling is amazing. Warrior-Kings series is killer right now and Knicks-Cavs has been fun to watch. Hell, all the series are good except Wolves-Nuggets and even the wolves got a win last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT