ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Todd's Kentucky offer is "very important" (article)

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
Let's just go ahead and cut through the chase.

Isaiah Todd is a major priority for John Calipari and the Kentucky Wildcats. One needs no further proof than Calipari's visit to see Todd on Wednesday and his subsequent offer.

Todd was already one of the most highly watched prospects by the Kentucky faithful even before Wednesday's events. As the staff has looked to add front court talent to next season's roster, Todd's name has leaped to the forefront not only because of his tremendous playing ability and Wildcat interest, but also because of rumblings that he is considering a reclassification into the 2019 Class.

Naturally, his offer sheet is an impressive one. It consists of Kentucky, North Carolina, Villanova, Kansas, Maryland, Virginia, UCLA, Florida, Vanderbilt, Florida State, North Carolina State, Clemson, Oklahoma State, Miami, Penn State, Wake Forest, Boston College, St. John's, Baylor, and Memphis just to name a few. He is also getting heavy interest from Duke.

Both Eric Bossi and Corey Evans have watched Todd play numerous times. Evans particularly has kept a close eye on the Baltimore phenom, but Bossi saw him at the USA Basketball Minicamp last October in Colorado Springs, and came away with a spot on critique.

"Todd has great size, he's long, he can shoot and he's a smooth athlete who can move between the block and facing up. Those are the type of tools that you have to hang in there with, because when it all comes together for him it could be a beautiful thing."

Immediately after the offer, Cats Illustrated caught up with Dwayne Wise, the Recruiting Coordinator for Team Melo of the EYBL Circuit who Todd plays for. Wise went into detail about all things in regards to Todd's recruitment by Kentucky. He started with how the staff got involved with the current junior and how the relationship has progressed.

"Kentucky got to watch him several times last July during the live events. By the end of the month, they were one of the schools that were serious about him but they had not offered yet," Wise explained. "From that point on, the communication between Kentucky, Isaiah, and his mom picked up more. He had a tremendous weekend at the Team USA Camp in October, and they continued to show a considerable amount of interest. He has also had an exceptional high school season, and that has just enhanced things."

From there, the lines of communication have increased to the point that the parties wanted to see each other face to face. Todd hoped to take in the Kansas game, but things didn't work out because of the weather. Todd's mother and Calipari also couldn't be present when Kentucky coaches visited a few weeks back. Neither instance was by design, nor has that slowed down the recruiting process one iota.

"Kentucky came in a few weeks ago, " Wise noted. "Coach Calipari couldn't make the trip. Isaiah's mother wanted to be present if an offer was going to be made, so we knew it probably wouldn't happen since he couldn't come. This time, she called me on Tuesday and told me that Cal was coming in. it was important for her to meet him, and for her to be there when the offer was made."

Todd has a multitude of offers, including ones from college basketball's blue bloods. Despite all of that, Wise was very complimentary on the importance of the Kentucky invite.

"Isaiah's mother said the offer was huge. This was the offer they were waiting on. They have respect for everyone that has given him one.. In the end, it will be about where he can go and show his versatility. But the Kentucky offer showed that he can come in and impact their program."

We asked Wise what Calipari told Todd during the visit.

"I spoke with his mom and she said that Coach Cal says that they want him. He is a priority to them. They like that he can play five positions offensively. Isaiah can bring the ball up the floor and handle it. He can shoot and rebound. He is the one talent in his class that can play anywhere on the court and still get results. He is a lot like Kevin Knox. He rebounds and blocks shots on the defensive end, but he is more versatile. He brings a lot on that side of the ball. He can guard multiple positions. You can put him anywhere on the court."

The conversation then changed to the decision making process, starting with the reclassification option. Evans recently wrote that he feels that the chances of that are "50/50."

"Isaiah's mom started talking to me and asking questions about that last month, "Wise informed us. "She wanted to know if he did move to the 2019 Class where would he fit in. I gave her my honest opinion. His advantage is that he is wired differently than most players his size. He has a different motor. Isaiah runs like a guard who is 6-foot-10. He moves fluently. If she decides to do that, a lot of it will be based on his motor and his versatility. He can stretch the floor. He is also an exceptional passer and dribbler. Based on looking at all of that, he would have no problem holding his own if he moved up in class. She has begin to research reclassifying more and more. I have been talking to scouts. Thay also think he can hold his own in the 2019 Class."

Wise went on to explain what the scouts are saying and what the major component of reclassification might be.

"That decision is not close to final yet. Isaiah is just 17 years old. He is still young. The scouts are shocked when I tell them that. They have told me that he is a good fit in either class. That decision will really have nothing to do with the schools. It is going to be based on who can get him best prepared for the NBA Draft. He is on the right path to have all of his academic credentials if he chooses to move up. The challenge is also big. Could be be challenged more if he moves up rather than playing another year of high school?"

Kentucky will be looking to replace Reid Travis next season, and the odds are that P.J. Washington will leave early. It also is not a slam dunk that both Nick Richards and E.J. Montgomery will both be back next season. Todd's inner circle is aware of this plus the revolving door at other college programs that he is looking at.

""Coach Calipari probably has told her which positions that he is looking to fill right away. I'm pretty sure that is one of the conversations they will continuer to have. But that will be the case for everybody. Which program has a slot for him to compete for playing time? She will dissect each situation."

Wise insists there is no leader for Todd's services, but one thing that Kentucky will have in its corner that he is aware of is Calipari's track record with his big men and how he uses them.

"He has his eyes on Kentucky and some others on the list. He knows how Kentucky plays their bigs. It isn't in the traditional way. Cal will let you do some other things if you produce. He will not hold you back. There are some other programs like that. Bol Bol at Oregon is an example. So is Cam Johnson at North Carolina. They will all allow you to stretch the floor and not just be pigeon holed on the block. Like I've said, he is the one guy in his class with that versatility."

Whether Todd goes in the 2019 or 2020 group. he will be playing with Team Melo this upcoming spring, and that is where Kentucky fans and Cats Illustrated will keep track of him.

"He is playing EYBL in 2019 no matter what. From there he is going to get an understanding on the fit and the rules. He is going to take his visits and learn. He has to be in the right situation. Isaiah will probably be in college for a year based on his potential. He is going to re-examine his search for the next few weeks."

Despite all of the questions, there is one thing that Wise feels pretty confidently about that should bring smiles to the faces of Big Blue Nation.

"There will be some visits in the works. Kentucky has been in twice to see Isiah. His mom wanted to be there when the offer was made. That was a very special offer to her. When the schedule of visits is made, I'm almost one-hundred percent sure that Kentucky will be on the list."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News